tips on cold weather riding

hooples3

we all still ride this time on year and we all have our ways to keep warm o such rides..
Here is a site that is devoted to the cold... its pretty informative especially for those just starting out.

http://icebike.com

xc62701

The main thing is to get out there and have fun. And stay out of the streams :D Everyone thinks I'm pretty stoopid for some of the rides I do but I'm comfy and warm is the cold and dark. Just get the right gear and go...

NJ Jess

ice

Definitely stay out of the streams. I road through one and as I reached the other side, my deraileur froze. I had to scrape away the ice and then loosen the bolt to the bottom pulley. Then I manually turned it to remove the ice. Got it working and away I went,..keep pedaling so it didn't freeze up again.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Woody rode his SS through the stream crossing at PP where it dumps you into the lot to cross 24 and into LM. His brake pads froze.

The Kalmyk

Start of slow and warm your lungs up....The cold air can give them that burning feeling which is actually them over expanding due to the thin air....A mask over your mouth always helps

Nimrod

Start of slow and warm your lungs up....The cold air can give them that burning feeling which is actually them over expanding due to the thin air....A mask over your mouth always helps

Actually its the dryness to the air, not the temperture that gives you that burning feeling.

xc62701

And the cold air isn't thin. It's actually more dense. That's why drag racers like colder air - it's more dense and a better bang for your buck!

anrothar

entirely thrilled
don't listen to these wusses. a little freezing cold water never hurt anyone. well maybe it did, but they were probably a wuss.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
And the cold air isn't thin. It's actually more dense. That's why drag racers like colder air - it's more dense and a better bang for your buck!

although, would the lack of leaves on the trees and bushes make the air a little thinner(of oxygen)? brad?

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
A lot of good advise here. Just for the record, I had none when I went out to ride in the winter first time, and had a blast figuring it all out. Now, with disc brakes, most riders don't even have to worry about rims icing over. If you still use rim brakes, you can still burn the ice off by braking a lot.

For me what made the biggest difference in winter riding, is riding with people. I am more likely to go out and ride longer if I'm in a group. So my advise would be to join a club or team and get out and ride or lead rides. I even belong to road club, so I always have back up rides to jump on when the woods get too snowy to ride, but not snowy enough to XC Ski.

No worries, just get out and ride. As Nick David said only 56 days left!

Top Bottom