KendaFest Dates

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
It seems that Pedro's (or swix who owns them) has given up on the Mt bike fest.

Kenda has taken over with help from Dirtrag.

http://www.bicyclefest.com/

July 25th - 27th, 2008

This won't change much for me since I have some friends who live along the Pittsfield state forrest and I pretty much just ride with them.

Otherwise I hope kenda can keep up what has been a good time.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I was pretty un-stoked at Pedros last year, so I'll be putting this on the "wait and see" list for 2008.

DD-

Un-stoked

I was pretty un-stoked at Pedros last year, so I'll be putting this on the "wait and see" list for 2008.

I totally agree with un-stoked comment.

After last year's comments on the various forums, we were told that you have to "know" some of the locals to know where the fun stuff is. :hmmm:

If we do end up giving it a second try this year, then we'll have to plan ahead and find some locals who can point us to the the good riding.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
The reality is that the best trails there are hidden.

At both ends of every trail you must walk your bike out to the main route.

This keeps the single-track well hidden from the Moto crowd.

In the past, once the motos find the singletrack it has been ruined.

Unfortunately the group leaders last year did not seem to have the local knowledge needed to find what are basically hidden trails.

I have been to the fest every year since it was in Randolph VT and things have gone DH.

Perhaps Kenda will pump some new blood and energy into what seems to be a fizzling fest.

Mare

Unfortunately the group leaders last year did not seem to have the local knowledge needed to find what are basically hidden trails.

You can say that again! Do you know how many times we rode the same darn fire road back and forth? I have gone a few times and I just wouldn't want to waste my time or money. I will give Kenda a few years to turn it around and if it does turn around, I will reconsider. Otherwise there are so many other fun places to go and things to do!!!

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I totally agree with un-stoked comment.

After last year's comments on the various forums, we were told that you have to "know" some of the locals to know where the fun stuff is.
Well, I'm fortunate enough to be friendly with the same locals that Jdog is, so that wasn't the issue for me. I was more unhappy with our camping situation, and the dearth of quality trails closer to the site was a bummer for Mrs.ChrisG, who rides but isn't into the sort of trails we ride with the local crazies. I also was in the middle of a bad relationship with the bike I rode that weekend, but that was no fault of the festival.:rolleyes:

I'm still considering a trip to Kingdom Trails as an alternative.

Mare

True...how could I neglect to mention the fact that when we pulled up (fairly early) we had to fight for a campsite??? That ticked me off! The location the year before, I thought, was much better.

Have you ever been to Kingdom? That place is so awesome and well worth the trip!

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG

I hope they pay special attention to the riding portion of the festival this year. The overall festival atmosphere was pretty cool, but the "official" riding was lacking. I know -- if you knew someone up there, then they took everyone on fantastic rides. However, not everyone knows people up there and the official rides should have been more organized seeing they had been doing this for many years.

A Mountain Bike festival should be full of riding opportunities. That lesson was learned from Pedro's last year. Therefore, riding will be priority one for the NJ Bike Fest on September 13th.

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
True...how could I neglect to mention the fact that when we pulled up (fairly early) we had to fight for a campsite??? That ticked me off! The location the year before, I thought, was much better.

Have you ever been to Kingdom? That place is so awesome and well worth the trip!

Kingdom Trails is awesome! I love that place.

Last year that was the saving grace for my Pedro's experience. Pedros was the first stop of the vacation that lead to Kingdom Trails at the end of the week. Kingdom more than made up for the trails experience at Pedros.

I forgot about the camping at Pedros -- yeah, we showed up early and they tried to stick us in the Ghetto near the entrance. Screw that -- we worked our way into the main part of the fest and found a spot, albeit near the toilets. Much better location.

DD-

I forgot about the camping at Pedros -- yeah, we showed up early and they tried to stick us in the Ghetto near the entrance. Screw that -- we worked our way into the main part of the fest and found a spot, albeit near the toilets. Much better location.

I forgot about the ghetto location that they originally put us in, and we got there "early", i.e. by noon on Friday.

I thought that the bigger problem with the facilities was the showers that kept running out of water. I didn't mind the line to get in, you gotta expect that, but they seemed to run out of water more than I would have expected.

DD-

Allamuchy Joe and I have now been to Kingdom Trails 3 times in the last 2 years. We went there on a friend's recommendation, and they didn't steer us wrong - that place is fantastic ! They are very mountain biker friendly, the trails are kept in awesome shape, nice B&B's in the area, and good local pubs & restaurants.

I'm sure we'll probably head up there again this year for long weekend at some point. Hey Shaggz, how about a MTBNJ road trip up there??

Shaggz

A strong 7
Dawn, I think that is a great idea. TBH, this may be a wonderful camping opportunity for the shagg family. we should talk about this on the 26th!

not to detract from this, but there is an even bigger and better MTBNJ trip in the works right now. more details to come.

xc62701

Better let the cat out of the bag sooner than later. My calendar is filling up! I'd love to get a group together to go ride kingdom trails VT, Pisgah Trails NC, Fair Hills Trails MD, Jim Thorpe PA, you name it.

Top Bottom