Lake Winter Shoes rock!!

CycleBoy

Sussex Bike and Sport
Shop Keep
Ok, so I finally got a set of Lake Winter shoes this year. I have used them a little bit already, but just didn't know how good they really are. I rode this morning at Ringwood bright and early at a mere 14 degrees. Not once did my feet feel the slightest bit cold. Also, probably one of the most comfortable riding shoes. I definitely reccommend these shoes to anyone riding a lot in the winter time. Sure, they are a little pricey, but winter shoes will last for years, unlike most mountain shoes. I was a happy camper today, thanks to Lake. :)

J-Dro

Agreed, they are great. I started my ride today in 20 deg temps and it as windy. My toes and feet were toasty warm the whole ride with just a single pair of wool socks. The only bad thing I ever heard anyone say about the Lake's is "Gee they are kind of heavy". Well your not usually racing in them so who cares.

My friend had his Boa contraption fall apart the other day during his 3rd ride in the shoes. We'll see how good Lake is at warranty.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
My friend had his Boa contraption fall apart the other day during his 3rd ride in the shoes. We'll see how good Lake is at warranty.

They will cover it for sure.

It is important to check the main set screw on the BOA from time to time.

You can also take it apart and clean it once in a while.

While no system is perfect I do like the BOA. It was designed in my favorite town.. Steamboat.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
after my answers meet their maker, i'll be looking at the lakes. for now, while the answers aren't the best, they are way better than nothing as i learned during my early am ride at LM yesterday. apparently i left my answers...right before the rain/snow storm...in the bed of the scrambler where they became quite frozen. speaking of which i better check them.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i'm not normally one to promote mailorder, but closeout is closeout. the 07 lakes can be found online for as little as $170 if you're a size 40(or 39) or 47(or 46).

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
I said it before and I'll say it again...The LAKES are definitely worth the $$, it is one of the best investments I've made. I come from warm weather country and my feet used to get cold very fast, even when it wasn't down to the 20's :)

By the way, I usually put my shoes on the passenger's side floor and crank the HEAT all the way up from my house to the trail. The shoes get really really nice and hot ;)

Frank

Sasquatch
I rode this morning at Ringwood bright and early at a mere 14 degrees. Not once did my feet feel the slightest bit cold. Also, probably one of the most comfortable riding shoes.

Just curious...what type of socks are you using. My feet are cool(a little damp) and I think it's because I still wear too heavy a sock in them. Next cold day I ride I will wear reg summer socks and bring heavier in case I was stupid.

jdog

Shop Keep
By the way, I usually put my shoes on the passenger's side floor and crank the HEAT all the way up from my house to the trail. The shoes get really really nice and hot ;)

I do this same trick but unfortunately it makes for a bad air freshener..

Between the smell of rotten bike clothes, 2-stroke, Wetsuits and rotten food.. My truck smells great!

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
i'm not normally one to promote mailorder, but closeout is closeout. the 07 lakes can be found online for as little as $170 if you're a size 40(or 39) or 47(or 46).

Where did you see the 40 and 39's ? And can anyone tell me if they are sized for thick socks, or run large or small?

jdog

Shop Keep
Where did you see the 40 and 39's ? And can anyone tell me if they are sized for thick socks, or run large or small?

The 08's come in a regular and wide.

I have stocked the wide version with great luck.

It seems that most folks keep the standard size but by going for the wide they gain some volume to allow for a bit of blood flow and thicker socks when needed.

For a woman's foot I would stick with you standard shoe size and stay with the regular width. That is unless you have a wide toe box.

I personally have the 07's and they are narrower by a bit. i had to go up one size but this is not the case for me in the 08.

Basically you need to try em on.

J_

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Just curious...what type of socks are you using. My feet are cool(a little damp) and I think it's because I still wear too heavy a sock in them. Next cold day I ride I will wear reg summer socks and bring heavier in case I was stupid.

i don't have winter shoes, but i never have a problem with cold feet, and i am typically walking around my house with cold feet and hands no matter what the temp is outside. so i wear a very thin synthetic liner sock and smartwools - the medium thickness, for hiking (but not the light hiking version).

i think more than just avoiding sweat (that's really important), you have to make sure that there is some space for your feet in your shoes (not like huge air pockets, but 'space'). if you put on a real heavy sock and put your foot in a really tight shoe, you're going to have temp probs with your feet no matter how warm the shoes or socks.

i have specialized shoes that are webbed (and very 'holy' might i add - they are great for summer riding), and i rode this past sunday at allamuchy with temps in the teens without a problem for 2.5 hours. i made sure that my velcro and straps were a little looser than normal. but if i dip into a stream crossing - that'll be a very bad and different story (but i carry two zip lock bags and extra socks in my bag - the zip goes around the fresh socks in the wet shoe in case of a sub-zero foot dip into a stream).

kinda like fitting a ski boot - snug is good - tight is bad when its cold (IMHO).

Frank

Sasquatch
i don't have winter shoes, but i never have a problem with cold feet, and i am typically walking around my house with cold feet and hands no matter what the temp is outside. so i wear a very thin synthetic liner sock and smartwools - the medium thickness, for hiking (but not the light hiking version).

i think more than just avoiding sweat (that's really important), you have to make sure that there is some space for your feet in your shoes (not like huge air pockets, but 'space'). if you put on a real heavy sock and put your foot in a really tight shoe, you're going to have temp probs with your feet no matter how warm the shoes or socks.

i have specialized shoes that are webbed (and very 'holy' might i add - they are great for summer riding), and i rode this past sunday at allamuchy with temps in the teens without a problem for 2.5 hours. i made sure that my velcro and straps were a little looser than normal. but if i dip into a stream crossing - that'll be a very bad and different story (but i carry two zip lock bags and extra socks in my bag - the zip goes around the fresh socks in the wet shoe in case of a sub-zero foot dip into a stream).

kinda like fitting a ski boot - snug is good - tight is bad when its cold (IMHO).

Good stuff there !!

If I ran summer shoes in winter my feet would have fallen off by now. Maybe it's because I'm old :eek: but I like your comparison to ski boots. I have wiggle room in my nw Lakes and I am not at all uncomfortable, just being anal....can I say that?? Will try summer socks next time. Good info and thanks...I will def. have a sock emergency kit in my Camelbak.:cool:

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
I didn't know they came in Men's, Women's, and Yeti's. I forgot my shoes one time, and Frank was kind enough to lend me his spare pair. I put on three more pairs of socks and wasn't peddling, I was paddling........ like a duck. I could swear I heard a flopping sound the whole ride. All I needed was a red and white bike with a squeeky clown nose glued to the head tube, and the scene would be complete.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
Dude you dont borrow: shoes, tools or underwear. Procure...possibly, borrow...neva.

Man rule #2,952, right above not giving your friends girl a foot massage

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
I found your myspace yo, dont hate: http://www.myspace.com/dajdog

m_e154ea3364513df959fe6ee5802a9149.jpg

l_fad454bffffb6e1a60d1a0f194b46209.jpg

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
Dude you dont borrow: shoes, tools or underwear. Procure...possibly, borrow...neva.

Man rule #2,952, right above not giving your friends girl a foot massage

It was either that, or pack it in. Riding won again.

Top Bottom