What's good, what's not

Glancing Aft

So, if you pull up, music blaring, basically seen as disturbing the peace in the lot, before you get on the trail, you leave more memories in the minds of the people who see you than you probably can on your ride.

If I'm using a park that has legal access I don't feel I should have to hide or be embarrassed over the fact that I'm a mountain biker. So I roll up with my music playing and the windows down, to get me motivated for the great workout I'm about to have in the woods.

Now riding with headphones on, that's a no no, you pose a safety risk to yourself and those around you.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If I'm using a park that has legal access I don't feel I should have to hide or be embarrassed over the fact that I'm a mountain biker. So I roll up with my music playing and the windows down, to get me motivated for the great workout I'm about to have in the woods.

Can't imagine how you get that I'm suggesting you should hide or you would be embarrassed. This is about being respectful for other people using the park and the impression you leave on people who could very well help decide the fate of that park's access in the future.

Glancing Aft

Can't imagine how you get that I'm suggesting you should hide or you would be embarrassed. This is about being respectful for other people using the park and the impression you leave on people who could very well help decide the fate of that park's access in the future.

I could very well be wrong, but I just feel that if someone is biased over our sport, their decision of whether or not to lobby against us wont be determined over the volume of a car radio.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I could very well be wrong, but I just feel that if someone is biased over our sport, their decision of whether or not to lobby against us wont be determined over the volume of a car radio.

I don't think you can change the minds of the people who are predisposed to not liking bikers. What you don't want to do is push people who are indifferent to the Dark Side.

Frank

Sasquatch
Now riding with headphones on, that's a no no, you pose a safety risk to yourself and those around you.

Now there is one I can relate to...a friend of mine is constantly listening to his Ipod while we ride....crashes a lot, maybe it's the type of music he listens to (and sings :mad: ). I have tried it and almost killed MarcM one day, eventhough it had nothing to do with the Ipod, I still think it's not a great idea.

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
So the lycra thing didnt go over to well, but............I have to admit that while riding with an IPOD I was on a charge downhill and when I looked up I notice an elderly couple making their way up. The next couple of seconds were awsome:

Flat tyres notices couple: Oh, shvt!!
Flat tyres goes for both brakes: Oh shvt, misses both levers!!
Flat tyres goes over bars wilst reaching for levers: oh shvt!!
Flat tyres gets up off ground and appologises to couple:Oh shvt i'm sorry!!

Couple says to Flat tyres: Oh shvt are you OK???

Flat tyres says: Oh, shvt I am sooo sorry.

Couple says: What an a**hole, we saw you coming a mile away.

Moral of story: IPOD no good!!

Frank

Sasquatch
So the lycra thing didnt go over to well, but............I have to admit that while riding with an IPOD I was on a charge downhill and when I looked up I notice an elderly couple making their way up. The next couple of seconds were awsome:

Flat tyres notices couple: Oh, shvt!!
Flat tyres goes for both brakes: Oh shvt, misses both levers!!
Flat tyres goes over bars wilst reaching for levers: oh shvt!!
Flat tyres gets up off ground and appologises to couple:Oh shvt i'm sorry!!

Couple says to Flat tyres: Oh shvt are you OK???

Flat tyres says: Oh, shvt I am sooo sorry.

Couple says: What an a**hole, we saw you coming a mile away.

Moral of story: IPOD no good!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Now that's funny right there...I don't care who you are.
That's almost as good as the text I recieved today....right Flats???

monkey boy

Self-Imposed Exile

yeah know, some folks like the quiet sounds of nature. not that I am a tree hugging dirty hippy and such but really. Its a matter of respect for the other people around you. not everyone loves Yanni turned up to 11. no matter how hard he rocks the pan flute.
but seriously why not turn it down once you get to the parks access road.

NORM,
We need them (the signs) up at JH but I will hit Mergs up for them.

monkey boy

Self-Imposed Exile
Yeah that was pretty frustrating when it happened. I wonder who is responsible for patrolling that park state or town. I never see either up there.
Is there a plan on replacing the glass with something more sturdy?

Frank

Sasquatch
I do believe that is state property. The Park Police have a lot of ground to patrol in that region though.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i didn't read through this whole thread, and i'm not sure many will unfortunately, but some other big no-nos:

letting other park users see you getting naked in the parking lot(to change into/out of your riding clothes. this is a big one. no other trail user group does it. bring am extra large towl with you, wrap it, then INCONSPICUOUSLY and QUICKLY change, out of view. preferably in your vehicle with doors shut.

cursing on the trail especially cursing loudly when you crash or can't clean a line.

walter

Fourth Party
This thread was a great idea, whoever thought of it should get a pat on the back. One thing new riders should understand is that this is an open forum and more than just the registered viewers can look at it. That being said, be careful of your posts and pictures. If you are doing questionable trail activities, dont come here and brag about what you and your friends were doing, with the pictures to prove it.:D

kerrybelle

i didn't read through this whole thread, and i'm not sure many will unfortunately, but some other big no-nos:

letting other park users see you getting naked in the parking lot(to change into/out of your riding clothes. this is a big one. no other trail user group does it. bring am extra large towl with you, wrap it, then INCONSPICUOUSLY and QUICKLY change, out of view. preferably in your vehicle with doors shut.

I bought a poncho, made for surfers, from Brave New World. Works great and it covers everything without having to worry about it slipping down/off.

Kerry

walter

Fourth Party
Using todays great communication as a prime example, if someone is considering traveling a bit of a distance for a ride, ask the locals what the weather and trail conditions are like. Also, if a group ride is planned, it might be good to check in here before you leave to see if there are any last minute changes. May save you a trip and some aggravation.

Frank

Sasquatch
here's another

In this lovely state of ours(insert sarcasm) it is illegal in most parks to be in there after dark. Be sure to check the hours of the park you plan on riding. A lot are open only from dawn to dusk. Just an fyi so we don't jeapordize our access. Again this is a no-bs section and this is purely information.

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
GTBrew is too nice to say it, so I will..................
Keep you F....in light off until your far enough into the trail that the MAN wont notice your illegal ass!!

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
"late afternoon riding"

Like most folks, I don't get home until it's almost dark at this time of year,and riding near sunset is pretty much my only option. As with all things, common sense and some local knowledge are your best bet. ( If you have neither, hook up with someone who does.)

Top Bottom