ATV's are tearing it up!!!

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
:mad2:

I didn't see the result first hand but I got a call this morning from a customer who saw a large group of ATV's and Dirtbikes out at six mile on Sunday.

The guy who called me said that stopped them and told them that it was illegal and that they needed to leave at once.

If you see anyone out there on anything motorized you need to stop them and let them know that they are in the wrong.

Don't be afraid to take a stand.

Call the police at once.

This needs to stop.

If they are caught riding here the police may seize their machines. Let them know that it is a serous offense and that the police and the park service will not tolerate ATVs on the trails.

Luckily it was still pretty frozen but they did do some limited damage from the report I got.

The damage that ATV's can do in one day can easily undo multiple years of hard trail work.

*It is worth noting that I personally have owned ATV's and dirtbikes in the past and i know how much fun they can be. This is NOT the place to ride them**

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
What trails did they get? The canal side seems like it would be more accessable but I guess the 27 is just as.... In York, our dirt jumps were in an area where tons of motorcycles were and a good sturdy lip gets destroyed in one hit from a 125. The only positive is they can clear trails easy, but this is a horrible application.....

Sircrashalot

I saw a 1/2 donut from a u-turn last week along the power lines like somebody on a quad thought about it and decided they wouldnt fit.

If we call cops and they actually get caught they will get a trespass ticket, operating an unlicensed motor vehicle, operating an unregistered motor vehicle and the bike will get impounded. I know because when I was more young and stupid than I am now I once got caught in a county park on my dirtbike and got all of those wonderful things! (It was an undeveloped park with no official trails for anything)

I ride dirt bikes and quads and used to ride power lines a lot so maybe a group was along there and spotted the trails + was investigating. If they got screamed at it might be a great deterrent from them coming back. I think the good news is that most of six mile is too tight to be much fun on a quad (wont fit at all in a lot of places) and even too slow and twisty with too many close trees for a dirtbike to be much fun. Between that and if we all stop them and tell them to get out + call cops they should give up, and word will spread that the bicycle weenies at six mile call the cops all the time! No fun riding dirtbikes when you expect cops to be waiting for you at the road so they will hopefully go elsewhere.

Otherwise I think we should all fart in their general direction :getsome:

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Most people i used to ride w/ had full documents so it was just failure to inspect violations cause the police/rangers never seemed to bother w the tresspassing part.Six mile looks like any of the 100s of miles of enduro/hare scramble i used to race, and i could see it as being quite enticing to bikes.

The Kalmyk

:mad2:
This is NOT the place to ride them**

Couldnt agree more....Ive seen hikers, horses and sure thing they would agree motorized vehicle are not a good thing....All points bulletin in affect immediately....I must say they are amazingly fun given the space

Sircrashalot

Most people i used to ride w/ had full documents so it was just failure to inspect violations cause the police/rangers never seemed to bother w the tresspassing part.Six mile looks like any of the 100s of miles of enduro/hare scramble i used to race, and i could see it as being quite enticing to bikes.

Respectfully, maybe fun on a z50. WOuld have been an absolute boring nightmare on my XR650 and never would have gotten out of first gear. Snoozefest. Would be nothing but pure rear axle bending aggravation on a quad. Many MUCH better places to ride motorized dirt within 5 miles of there, which is where most people in this area (that I have lived in for my entire life and ridden dirtbikes, et.c. since my first Quad 50 when I was 6) ride, which is why it is ridiculous to go and tear up 6mr, which is why it needs to be stopped, which is what the thread is about, not advertising how 'enticing' it could be.....hey guess what....I think I suddenly understand your signature!

Irrelevant anyway...:topic: The point of the post was to agree with everyone else that it has to be stopped, and while at it I thought I would highlight the negatives for anyone who might be reading this forum and considering riding something with a motor there.

Last edited:

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Totally agree sircrash.Just trying to educate people(mtbers) on ORV.Any normal person would look at 6mr and never think that it looks exactly like a national/world caliber enduro trail.A lesser rider who follows the offroad racing scene could stumble into those trails and see an opportunity, albiet wrong and illegal.Anyone here ever experience the Otis Fuddpucker Stickfarm at Greenbriar Enduro?? Makes 6 mi look like a 4 lane highway!! Anyway, I hope yall get this cleared up down there, Jdog and the boys work hard and they don't deserve the hassle.........

C.Puncher

" of course, you know, this means WAR!"

:getsome: Me and the boys will be out there tonight............and HELL'S COMIN WITH US!

Wobbegong

Hopefully this problem will go away if we stay active in telling them the deal when we see them. I came across one kid on a dirt bike a while back and told him its not allowed in the park and next time I'll contact the police.

At the same time, dont put yourself in a bad situation by confronting a large group while your out solo. I guess what I'm trying to say is use common sense.

Franklin Township Police can be contacted at 732-873-2300. Put it in the cell phone. The park has also been contacted by Jdog to make them aware of the situation.

The Kalmyk

Hopefully this problem will go away if we stay active in telling them the deal when we see them. I came across one kid on a dirt bike a while back and told him its not allowed in the park and next time I'll contact the police.

At the same time, dont put yourself in a bad situation by confronting a large group while your out solo. I guess what I'm trying to say is use common sense.

Franklin Township Police can be contacted at 732-873-2300. Put it in the cell phone. The park has also been contacted by Jdog to make them aware of the situation.

I say bitch em out about the damage their doing...Punch one of them in the oreja....Kick the other in the juevos....Poke another in the ojos...Then out run em...I figure it should be easy to do because one cant smell you, the other wont be able to walk and the other wont be able to see....More than three your on your own;)

Spence

jimmay

I dunno....

I moved down from NH 5 years ago, and I gotta say, my biggest frustration about this place is how restrictive it is.

Recognizing it is a function of the ratio of people to space, for which I have no better solution, I do my best to comply.

I never really noticed trails and parks that banned bikes (except some "special" places like Baxter State Park) until I got chased into the street by NYC park rangers.... Then, when I was surfing for rides in NJ, I noticed all the chatter about bike bans on trails everywhere and I couldn't believe how many places we couldn't ride... it pissed me off. Especially, when I saw some juicy single track.

I'm hesitant to sign up for jamming up anyone else who wants to enjoy a spit of dirt thier own way. I think the same rules apply, irrespective of your means of locomotion... Respect the Trail.

I haven't lifted a finger to maintain the trails I use (with the slight exception of helping fight a forest fire once as a member of the Nat. Guard)... so I'm not in any position to talk about usage and damage. (I've always argued that the horses cause more damage than bikes, but it can't be denied that bikes are worse than hikers, and hikers are worse than nobody).

Anyway, regardless of how someone uses a trail, if they use it with respect, I'm all for it... if my tax dollars are supporting the trail, then I want to be able to do whatever I want on it. If my tax dollars aren't, then whoever owns the trail can make the rules.

When I think about the argument against motorsport enthusiasts, I can't help but think that the arguments sound similar to the arguments against mt. bikers.. i. e. They are too loud, too fast, cause to much damage, scare hikers, scare animals, and they are obnoxious and don't care about the trails.

I don't ride motorcycles/atvs never owned one (looks like fun, though), nor do I ride horses... I'm just a person who thinks we can all use the space if we are considerate... (as far as trail maitenance, I'm not opposed to a fee based on the 'damage' potential of my recreation of choice)...

I don't know what the best way to share the space is, but I think there should be a way to let everybody do thier thing (at least reasonably)... I mean, when I first started mountain biking, I was riding on motorcycle trails!

If we can't all agree on what to do, then my fallback position is; I don't care what you do as long as you don't screw it up for me.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I don't care what you do as long as you don't screw it up for me.[/QUOTE]

This counts as screwing it up for you..

jimmay

This counts as screwing it up for you..

I don't think so. Its sounds like its screwing stuff up for you, but, so far, not much of an issue for me.... but that's my fallback position anyway, I'm not retreating from my original position (the much more verbose, less self-centered, position before the fall-back position).

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I don't ride motorcycles/atvs never owned one (looks like fun, though), nor do I ride horses... I'm just a person who thinks we can all use the space if we are considerate... (as far as trail maitenance, I'm not opposed to a fee based on the 'damage' potential of my recreation of choice)...

I can understand what you are saying, but the one problem with fee based damage control i see is that although money is a good thing to have when trying to fix trails, it doesn't fix trails. people who have the time to devote to TM are it - and that's all volunteer - not paid.

i think giving money to jorba or imba (or any other trail group that does good trail work) is much better managed than money handed over to local gov'ts or gov't run commissions. plus jorba and imba help express my concern and interests regarding bike access in an organized way (and also the $ donated helps alleviate my guilt for not getting to as many TMs as i wish i could, but usually being out of town for my job, its tough for me to make it to even ride - i know, excuses excuses :eek:, but i'm never home).

i guess my point is i would rather open my checkbook the way i do now and give it to who i think should have it (like imba), versus handing it over to someone for trail use, and not knowing exactly where its going.

jimmay

i guess my point is i would rather open my checkbook the way i do now and give it to who i think should have it (like imba), versus handing it over to someone for trail use, and not knowing exactly where its going.

I'm with you... I'm all about picking where the $$ go.. I don't have the slightest idea how a 'damage' potential based fee system would have to be administered... but, I wouldn't be offended by it, if there was such a thing. I haven't done any TM, so it would be completely hypocritical of me to suggest that trail damagers should be restricted... unless, my tax $$ were going towards trail maitenance, in which case, I could say whatever I want, just like any other tax payer...

SHIFT... I'll start another thread so as not to hijak this one, but I wanna find out more about lobby groups...

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions