Wissahickon gps ride

NJ Jess

Hi there! I love riding in NJ, but sometimes I need to do "Team" rides with my fellow "Bulldogs." So, it was off to Philly to ride with Di and some of her friends from SturdyGirl Racing. If you ever want to know why Philly racers know how to DH, climb, and DJ this is the place. It also had a lot of "huckables" that would make an awesome video. I can't say it was my fastest ride, but the trail, views, company, and techy sections were great. Heres a link to my gps particulars.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/episode/view.do?episodePk.pkValue=4729739

Thanks Diana!

anrothar

entirely thrilled
dang. we started at 3:15ish. were the trails as soft at the time you went out as when we went out? the north side was ok-ish, but the south side was a mess. we mostly rode the north side. it was my friend nick(#2)'s first mtb ride. he's a bmxer, so he did fine on the downhills, but the climbs he absolutely hated. he also fell prey to the tv image of mtbing, and was a little dissapointed when he found out we would actually be riding up hills in addition to going down them... love that place.

xc62701

Hi there! I love riding in NJ, but sometimes I need to do "Team" rides with my fellow "Bulldogs." So, it was off to Philly to ride with Di and some of her friends from SturdyGirl Racing. If you ever want to know why Philly racers know how to DH, climb, and DJ this is the place. It also had a lot of "huckables" that would make an awesome video. I can't say it was my fastest ride, but the trail, views, company, and techy sections were great. Heres a link to my gps particulars.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/episode/view.do?episodePk.pkValue=4729739

Thanks Diana!

Sounds awesome! Let me know when you ladies are going again and I may join you. I've heard that place is nice. How big are these huckables?

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
What would the ideal bike be if one were interested in hucking the said huckables? Hardtail, FR, ect......

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Is that correct, you only went 14 miles in 2.25 hours? I never rode there ancd I know it is hilly, but that seems long...

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i've hit nearly all the huckables in wiss on a rigid ss. max drop to transition, that i know of is about 4-5 feet. there are good amount of log rides, drops and jumps, all constructed proffessionaly and with permission. all have direct and easy go-arounds. lot's of berms.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
it's just west of philly. shouldn't be more than two and a half hours for north jerseyans with little traffic. it's one big singletrack loop of around 16-18 miles with a central 'spine' which is a nice wide recreational trail. there are frequent trails that drop down from the singletrack to the main trail. there are also several hiker-only trails in there too.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
it's just west of philly. shouldn't be more than two and a half hours for north jerseyans with little traffic. it's one big singletrack loop of around 16-18 miles with a central 'spine' which is a nice wide recreational trail. there are frequent trails that drop down from the singletrack to the main trail. there are also several hiker-only trails in there too.

I get there in about 1 hr from here (middle O' Jersey)

C

ChuckU

Philly local here. Trail permits are still recommended, but for visitors I wouldn't worry. I have never been stopped. Most of the regulars have them as it helps donate a bit of $$ to the Fairmount Park in the name of MTBers.

Otherwise, check out www.phillymtb.com for trail info and rides. PMBA works closely with FOW.org, another member funded non-profit, to keep the trails up and running for all users. Currently in a rather massive project to make most, if not all, of the trails in the park fully sustainable. Many of the trails are old carriage ways from WAYY back and very far from sustainable. The goal is to make it work and be fun for everyone...so any feedback on trail work done is welcome.

Otherwise, you can use zip code 19128 to figure out roughly how long it takes to get here. Traffic can suck at times, but all being from NJ, I'm sure you understand. :D The trail has parking lots at many locations, popular ones being at Bells Mill Rd and then at The Valley Green Inn at the base of Wises Mill Rd or Valley Green Rd on the other side. Most of the trails are marked for bike use or not and it's fairly easy to find your way around the valley. Worst case, dropping down towards the river gets you to Forbidden Dr, which is the gravel path down the middle.

-Chuck

D

dzm3

Hey Ryan, and anyone else. Come on down and we'll give you a proper introduction to the park and guided tours.

Like Chuck said, just throw a line on phillymtb.com or ask here, and we'll set a date and time.

dz

NJ Jess

worth the trip

Hey dzm3, thought that was you flying by. It's a great park, lots of good training and fun to be made. Hope to ride with you again. Maybe we can make a mtbnj meets phillymtb fun ride day.

Yes stb222, it took a long time. We stopped a lot after some trails to talk about technique. the 2 sturdygirls were road riders and when just learning how to mtb.

Some of the huckables where sheer dropoffs aside the downhill trails. I guess you could do them with a XC bike, but I think my RockyMt switch would be a thrillride

xc62701

Hey Ryan, and anyone else. Come on down and we'll give you a proper introduction to the park and guided tours.

Like Chuck said, just throw a line on phillymtb.com or ask here, and we'll set a date and time.

dz

I definitely want to get down there and check it out. Maybe I'll head down after I pick up my 29'er SS ;)

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
wissahickon is awesome, and lucky for me, my gf's apt. is 1/2 mile from the trailhead. I gotta get out there more though.

There is one downhill part where I saw 29mph.

D

dzm3

Huckables

Hey Jess, oh, didn't realize it was you, I noticed those pink jerseys of sturdygirls (who can ignore neon-pink! :)) also I know I've talked with them in the past during TM days.

But I have to chim in, as part of PMBA and co chair of TM committee, as much fun as those rogue side drops and "lines" are, we are trying to highly discourage using them. They are not sustainable, erode the side hills and generally degrade the park. If at all possible, please, stick to the actual trails.

On a related note, there might be a designated skills park area opened in Wiss at some point in observable future, not unlike White Clay but better.

Yes, definitely, a greet-n-meet day and ride between mtbnj and pmab would be great! We are working on securing the April 19th for 2nd annual Rally in the Valley event, so please, mark your calendars!

dz

Top Bottom