Holy Trail looser..

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Police said they arrested a man who acknowledged digging holes on a park bike trail as payback for nearly being run down by a cyclist.

Warren John Wilson, 52, faces a single felony count of vandalism, police Sgt. Linda King said Friday.

King said nearly 50 holes measuring about 1 foot by 2 feet have been found since June along a trail at Laguna Lake Park, and in some cases attempts had been made to hide them from cyclists. She said some riders went over their handlebars after hitting the holes, but none reported major injuries.

Detectives watching the trails questioned Wilson, who said he had nearly been run over by a mountain bike rider and began digging the holes in retaliation, King said.

Police said Wilson had been released from custody. A phone listing for him could not be found.

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
Police said they arrested a man who acknowledged digging holes on a park bike trail as payback for nearly being run down by a cyclist.

Warren John Wilson, 52, faces a single felony count of vandalism, police Sgt. Linda King said Friday.

King said nearly 50 holes measuring about 1 foot by 2 feet have been found since June along a trail at Laguna Lake Park, and in some cases attempts had been made to hide them from cyclists. She said some riders went over their handlebars after hitting the holes, but none reported major injuries.

Detectives watching the trails questioned Wilson, who said he had nearly been run over by a mountain bike rider and began digging the holes in retaliation, King said.

Police said Wilson had been released from custody. A phone listing for him could not be found.

This happened in California, right?

Imagine how obsessed he had to be in order to dig 50 holes! That guy need serious mental help.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Things definitely boil over in that state from time to time. I remember reading a few stories of barbed wire being strung up on the trail.

hooples3

Things definitely boil over in that state from time to time. I remember reading a few stories of barbed wire being strung up on the trail.

I remember reading about an incident quite a few years back. A father and child were on trails riding and the father ran into a similar hole. He severely damaged his head/neck and wound up dying the neck day....
I feel the man should be fully prosecuted. its stupids acts like his that can ruin somebodys life...It makes me so mad just thinking about it

NJMX835

I believe there a certain laws that deal directly with setting a booby trap.

If he dug these holes & then made an effort to disguise them, that would fall under the decription of a booby trap & he could be prosecuted to a much greater extend than just simple vandalism.

Any dirt bike rider can tell you stories through either personal experience or second hand of these sort of things, we've either ran into one first hand or had a friend\aquaintance who has.

In my opinion, it's attempted assault at best & attempted murder at worst & these people should be locked up for a very long time.

Here's one terrible incident that happened recently:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/05/18/DIRTBIKE.TMP

walter

Fourth Party
I remember back in my MX days hearing stories of people who would string fishing line across the trails in an attempt to injure dirt bikers. I want to say I think I remember someone being seriously injured somewhere local.

NJMX835

I heard a story about 15 years ago of a kid being decapitated by a chain strung across a fireroad by the 'Back Beach' part of Wanaque.

Can't say if it was true or not, you know how rumors & urban legends are.

I will say I have heard plenty of stories on the moto boards over past 10 years of fishing line & barbed wire strung across trails at neck\chest height.

Not So Fast

Not so fast

I heard a story about 15 years ago of a kid being decapitated by a chain strung across a fireroad by the 'Back Beach' part of Wanaque.

Can't say if it was true or not, you know how rumors & urban legends are.

I will say I have heard plenty of stories on the moto boards over past 10 years of fishing line & barbed wire strung across trails at neck\chest height.

You'd have to be moving pretty fast to lose your head, probably over 40 mph.

D

DANSPANK

I remember reading a few stories of barbed wire being strung up on the trail.

At Blankets Creek, a trail in Georgia I used to ride, so little weasel bastards used to string wire and fishing line across the trail. There were notices up at the trail head. Fortunately I didn't become a victim.

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
The same stuff used to happen at South Mountain as things were coming to a head just before they closed all bike access in Essex county.Fun stuff like fishing line strung up across trails, glass and wood with nails at the bottom of downhill trails, and other nasty little suprises.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
as much as i agree with all of the above and think this guy should be prosecuted as vehemently as humanly possible, i also think the rider who almost ran him over should suffer similar punishment if made public. i said this on empty beer too, but i really think we should all be mature enough to stop and appologize if we accidentally frighten another trail user.

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
Agreed, I am of the same mind about showing common sense and saying sorry when you almost run someone down. Hell, I even say HI to people who are giving me the stink eye for no reason.

Top Bottom