How was 2007 and what in 2008?

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Ok gang, you have had a few days to think about it. How did you do in 2007? ....... and what are you striving for in 2008?

Lets share some stats, and hear some inspiring success stories. I'm sure you gps guys have stats coming out of your :wedgie: So post them up. I'll start.....

2007:

Rode my bikes outside 235 days. PB.

Spent 318 hours riding my mountain bike. PB.

Rode 2137 miles outside on the road bikes. Nearly half my usual.

Did 11 races, and did my first 24 hour race.

Led some all girls rides and tried to get some more ladies out riding and racing

2008:

hopefully more rides on the tandem :wedgie:
get in better cardio shape :drooling:

next ......

xc62701

Hmm lets see.

2007:
Rode my bikes over 150 days(forget the exact number)
Put in 333 hours in the saddle
Put 3039 miles on road/mtn combined
Competed in my first 100 mile race - Wilderness 101
Competed in my first road race
Competed in my first(and second) Triathlon
Competed in my first running race
Competed at the Nationals for the first time
Competed in my first cross race
Finished 4th in Expert 19-29(Goal was top 10)
Was worried about Sport/Expert Transition - I seemed to have made it ok
I rode in 2 new states/provinces - PA and BC
Did downhill MTB for the first time in Whistler BC
Finally have a good mental map of Allamuchy SP

All in all 2007 was a really good year considering training was halted at the beginning of the season with knee problems.

On tap for 2008, smarter training with hopefull no injuries and lots of races on the calendar. I plan on doing much of the NUE 100 series, the H2H series, as well as a few tri's and who knows whatever else pops up.

Last edited:

Sircrashalot

-Got back into real mountain biking last January after years of rolling around town.

-Quit smoking in the spring so that I would stop puking lungs every time I went real mountain biking (after years of failed attempts to quit).

-Put more miles on my 2001 harddtail from January to June than I did from 2001 to 2006, and nearly ALL were real dirt miles.

-Rode hardtail at Diablo DH freeride park, had many young children tell me I was badass and hardcore old skool for doing so. Loved it.

-went and grabbed an 08 Heckler in September to be able to show those young children what an old fart can do on a FS bike!

-First night ride ever.....COOL

Went from riding 2.5 miles in the woods and needing a nap to by the end of the year regularly riding 11-13 at a faster pace & feeling great after! Realized that I grew up racing BMX and loved every second. Realized that I am not the type to go to the gym and do boring sets of boring reps. Realized that riding works out the body and the mind together (and my mind needs help sorely too!) and is peaceful and beautiful at the same time, and that whether riding roads, towpaths, xc singletrack or nutty downhill the point is to get out there as often as possible and never forget how great it feels to be out there!

-Realized how corny the last paragraph is!

2008:
More ridingXC, more downhill, better shape, get involved in some trail maintenance, enter at least one race during the year

..... & my Giant FCR2 coming TODAY to get started road riding when I dont have time to get to the trail. WOOHOO!!!:getsome:

Last edited:

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
2007:

Started riding again after over a decade off due to back injury. 'nuff said :D

2008:

Keep ridin'. Get in good enough shape to run with some of the MTBNJ crazys and maybe even enter a race or two...

pixychick

JORBA.ORG

Went from riding 2.5 miles in the woods and needing a nap to by the end of the year regularly riding 11-13 at a faster pace & feeling great after! Realized that I grew up racing BMX and loved every second. Realized that I am not the type to go to the gym and do boring sets of boring reps. Realized that riding works out the body and the mind together (and my mind needs help sorely too!) and is peaceful and beautiful at the same time, and that whether riding roads, towpaths, xc singletrack or nutty downhill the point is to get out there as often as possible and never forget how great it feels to be out there!

-Realized how corny the last paragraph is!:

Amen, not corny, just the truth!

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i have a whole blog about this stuff. i think we all know where that is. :D

Eileen

- Planned on doing a couple races but ended up doing the whole series and coming in 3rd for beginner

- 5th in age solo at 24 HoA

- Made it out to Pixy's all girl's rides :)

-Rode just over 1,000 miles between my mountain bike and road bike

- I'm looking forward to racing sport class in the H2H

- Do more laps solo at 24 HoA (now that I know what I got myself into)

- Get involved and do some TM

- Race at Mt. Snow

- Ride at least 1,500 miles between my two bikes

This past year was awesome. I met a ton of cool people and had a blast racing this summer. I learned a lot about riding/ racing and pushed myself to do things I never knew I could do! I look forward to seeing what this year brings :getsome:

ArmyOfNone

First year racing...All races on the SS i finished in the top 10 (except for those i dnf'd :getsome:)

Didnt get to as many cx races as i would have liked to but had a blast and finished respectively.

Next year:

Looking to podium in a few races as well as hit all the races in the series, give road racing a try, and hop some more barriers come winter time.

Most Importantly: REPRESENT TEAM MTBNJ!

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
-Rode a lot, I missed only about 6 weekends the whole year
-Two 24hr races
-DH40
-Rode a bunch of new places
-Got a SS late 2006 and it got a bunch of rides on 2007

-Loose the 7lbs aprox I gained in the last 2 months of 2007
-Try to ride as much as possible, hopefully baby #2 in May, won't alter my plans :hmmm:
-1 or 2 24hr races, not sure yet
-The Winter Challenge, Newport Vermont
-one 101 race
-DH40
-ride Plattekill
-more night rides (not only during 24hr races:eek:)

Nimrod

07 sucked, glad its behind us.

08 is gonna ROCK!
Going to Bike Commute allot more to work

I joined a Gym. It right around the corner from work

Going to do at least 4 of the H2h's

The Dark Horse 40

Vermont 50 (this is my highlight of the year)

Hopefully do the 2 races at The Mooch (Best place to ride ever)

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
2007 was good, wife had our first baby, took up trials again to get riding in...
got my first road bike and did 600 miles since october between mtb and road, before that I didn't have the comp on my bike

for 2008, my goal is 3000 miles between both bikes and maybe a race!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
2007 was decent. Rode 229 times, over 5000 total miles (road, off-road, trainer), 341 hours. Saw 182 on the scale which was my lowest since grade school (literally). Learned a lot racing in some H2H races, best place 6th in the last race, Ringwood. Raced 8 times in 4 different states. Edged out pixy by 13 miles on the road mileage :) For me these were all PBs. 2007 was my first year training seriously.

In 2008 I don't really want to ride more times, or hours, or miles. I just want to have more quality miles in the saddle and have as much fun as possible. I'd like to ride off-road more than I did. But more than that I want to minimze the trainer time as much as I can. Plan on doing the H2H series and the 3 NYC area races. I'd like to see the 170s on the scale. My ultimate goal would be to qualify to race expert.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Norm, I am flattered that my miles were worthy to beat!

Great goals with the quality miles and more mountain bike rides. I am with you on that 100%. Structured training is great to make gains, but if it's not fun you won't stick with it for years to come.

Maurice

What's PB? Peanut-butter?

I rode 3000 miles on the beater, mostly commuting.

On the actual road-bike I don't know exactly, I would say around 1200 miles.

On the trails I don't know exactly... perhaps something around 2000 miles. Conservatively.

Sometimes statistics catch up with me, I crash more or less painfully, tires get shredded, parts go their own way, etc.

If only work didn't get in the way...

For 2008 hopefully I can get more miles in.

R

Rooster00

07 saw me start to get back into Mt. Biking in a 4-5 year absence. Only did 2 rides at Allamuchy but did complete the NYC Five Boro ride for the first time.

08 Plan is to ride at least 1x per week. Meet up for some of these group rides I keep reading about on here and purchase myself a new Mt. Bike. Oh and the NYC Five Boro ride again.

N

Neen

For 2008, I hope to at least come close to Pixy's mileage totals for '07. I've never kept track of my miles but I started on 1/1/08.
And I'm going to be racing sport, which is a first for me. I hope to put in a good showing for Team Mtbnj!

And can someone please tell me what PB stands for? :confused:

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
2007 was great- opened up new trails in NYC (Highbridge), put on the first ever MTB race in Manhattan, rode a bit, took a couple riding road trips, got my 2-year-old son out riding on trails with me in a bike trailer, upgraded to a full suspension 29er, met with more politicians and parks administrators (both city and National Park Service!), flagged out an entire new trail system on Staten Island that we're waiting for approval to cut, suffered no major injuries despite some crashes that could have been really bad.

2008 will be even better- opening the trails on Staten Island, adding more trail to Highbridge Park, extending the race loop and improving on last year's race, riding more with my son, road tripping where possible, more meetings with politicians and park administrators in the Bronx and Brooklyn, a new 3-race city series and weeknight warm-up race series, more events, more fun, getting more people involved, and raising the tide for mountain biking in NYC.

We've got some big press coming up in 2008 so keep an eye on the mountain bike mags and national mens magazines... ;)

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.

I rode 16,000 miles last year between the road and mountain bike...It would be easier to tell you how many days I drove my car than my bike!!

I did 12 road races...The entire Campmor H2H series minus 1 race...The Darkhorse 40...24 Hours of Allumuchy...And 9 Cyclocross races...

Upgraded from Sport to Expert...From a CAT5 to CAT4 on the road...And from a CAT4 to a CAT2 in 'cross...

I'm not sure how many total hours, but I'm sure it was a lot...

For 2008 I got some stuff in the works, which will be disclosed a little later on:D

Top Bottom