cable length

VanDbtRiver

any tricks in determining rear derailleur cable length in relation to suspension sag. eg. trying to eliminate derail movement due to pedal induced bob= chain skip. does this make sense?

mwlikesbikes

i assume you mean the housing and not the actual cable.
i always try to go as short as i can with suspension fully extended. (in long travel mode if it's adjustable) but as long as the housing is firmly in the stops there should really be no "ghost shifting" i think most of the latest bikes have eliminated that

VanDbtRiver

in that case it sound like some simple barrel adjustments would solve my problem. cant help but think that the cable is being pulled when the suspension is active distorting the mech. guess i have to get off the computer and spend some qt with it. thanks

ccbrendan

Shop: Cycle Craft
Shop Keep
If you are using a shimano derailleur, I wold just go with shimano's recommended length of 11 inches from the lowermost stop to the derailleur.
If you are ghost shifting while suspension is active you might have a hang up some where else between the shifter and the swing arm.

The Rose

Depending on the suspension design the Rear Derailleur will take up the slack in the chain while the chain stay length becomes longer and shorter as the suspension moves through its travel.

VanDbtRiver

thanks for the advice, looks like i am going to bring it into the shop, though. normally i would figure this one out myself, but it is crunch time. For x mas I will have the guys at the bike shop solve my problem before i completely burn my xt cassette

Wobbegong

thanks for the advice, looks like i am going to bring it into the shop, though. normally i would figure this one out myself, but it is crunch time. For x mas I will have the guys at the bike shop solve my problem before i completely burn my xt cassette

Did you figure out what was wrong?????

Top Bottom