I think I need a new Bike

Nimrod

XC.... kind of....... racing focus............

The Specialized Epic looks hot = Full Squish, Brain Shock

The Trek 9.8, its a hard tail, but its Carbon:eek:

Nimrod

Last year I got my first Carbon Road Bike:D All other materails suck! That bike is the best bike ever. Smooth as silk, climbs like an angel, and descends like a demon. Thats the MTB'er in me coming out.

Okay For a budget.........ahhhhhhhh 3 k is what I'm thinking... Looking for one do it all bike. Currently riding a Jamis Pro XC, its a nice bike, little heavy at 28 pounds. Bike has a Fox Vanilla up front, RP3 in the back and on the climbs in the VT 50 last year I felt it.

Looking at the shocks, like the Talas that "creep" up as you climb. The Carbon Hard Tail has me interested, kind of like the best of both worlds.

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
XC.... kind of....... racing focus............

The Specialized Epic looks hot = Full Squish, Brain Shock

The Trek 9.8, its a hard tail, but its Carbon:eek:

Trance X0 -- 5 inches of travel, 26 pounds, List $3700
Trance X1 -- 5 inches of travel, 28 pounds, List $2700

Carbon's cool, but east coast rocks are the enemy of carbon fiber. A buddy of mine has a Trek Fuel Carbon -- he took one hard shot from a rock and his rear triangle started to delaminate. That was a costly replacement.

Last edited:

Nimrod

Trance X0 -- 5 inches of travel, 26 pounds, List $3700
Trance X1 -- 5 inches of travel, 28 pounds, List $2700

Carbon's cool, but east coast rocks are the enemy of carbon fiber. A buddy of mine has a Trek Fuel Carbon -- he took one hard shot from a rock and his rear triangle started to delaminate. That was a costly replacement.

5" is to much travel for me

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
I have an aluminum S-works Epic. The bike rips, but not nearly as much as my new ride.

http://www.ellsworthbikes.com/BIKE-ellsworth-truth.php

Briarcliff Bike Works in Briarcliff Manor, NY is the closest northern NJ dealer. Go take a test ride at Blue with one. The thing rides like a couch compared to the Epic, its also super light.

CycleCraft isn't a Ells dealer anymore?

Nimrod's a LI guy anyhow...

There are alot of choices.

VanDbtRiver

saw a nice fisher superfly. carbon frame and carbon bontrager components. it is a hardtail 29er all that for $3000. it also weighs 23 lbs. I have been saving for a new bike and have been debating the issue of durability on the east coast rocks. i know my aluminum bike has dented chainstays and i wonder if the carbon can withstand the same abuse.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
I leave LI and the big butt easties start buying carbon hardtails? What is going on out there anyway?! :D

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
CycleCraft isn't a Ells dealer anymore?

Nimrod's a LI guy anyhow...

There are alot of choices.

Looks like they are not:

NEW JERSEY

Kim's Bike Shop
(732)846-3880
111 French St.
New Brunswick NJ 08901
www.kimsbikes.com

Westwood Cycles
201 664 1688
182 3rd Ave
Westwood, NJ 07675
www.westwoodcycle.com

He could go to a store in Brooklyn!! ;)

Bay Ridge Bicycles
(718)238-1118
8916 Third Ave
Brooklyn NY 11209
www.bayridgebikes.com

Briarcliff Bike Works
(914)762-7614
1238 Pleasantville Rd.
Briar Cliff NY 10510
www.briarcliffbikeworks.com

Cycle Knowledge
(518)459-3272
1370 Central Ave.
Albany NY 12205
www.ckcycles.com

Greenfish Adventure Sports
(845)676-4440
294 Depot Street
Andes NY 13731
www.greenfishsports.com

Sierra Cycles
(914)725-8333
46 Garth Rd
Scarsdale, NY 10583
www.sierracyclesny.com

Nimrod

I leave LI and the big butt easties start buying carbon hardtails? What is going on out there anyway?! :D

I didn't ride much this summer (Coached 3 baskeball teams and 3 baseball teams), then drank a 12 pack before the Vermont 50 and still turned a 6:10:hmmm:

So thinking if I get a new bike, ride this summer, and avoid getting sucking down a 12 pack before the Vermont 50 this year I'll be faster?:D

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
stands to reason you'd be faster. then again, you may be slower. that whole feeling no pain thing.

anyway, are you only looking @ 26" or are 29ers an option?

Top Bottom