What's good, what's not

Frank

Sasquatch
In the last few weeks there have been a lot of posts regarding.....well let's just say what is considered good trail behavior and what is bad. This is a thread to INFORM not BASH. This is purely an FYI for all the newbies out there that don't realize that we are under constant scrutiny from land managers and other trail users. The fact that there are more of "us" out there and that we "give back" more than anyone else doesn't matter. We are always facing an access issue at one park or another. So, by taking advice from a PM I am taking the first step in helping to "inform" the masses so as not to lose what is precious to us.

We've pretty much covered skidding in other forums but it warrants repeating.
Skidding and drifting can damage most trails and should be avoided. That simple act can cause a rut and allow water to channelize which will lead to erosion.

Riding trails that are closed to bikes...not cool.

Not being courteous to other trail users especially equestrians....not cool. The fact is a horse is a 1200# animal that is ready to throw its rider and trample a cyclist purely for self preservation is explanation enough. Just think of them as huge deer....not for hunting though.

Riding in certain trail conditions like mud, for instance, can be very damaging to the trails. Mind you, certain parks recover differently so check with the local JORBA folk if you have any questions.

Building of trails and stunts should be avoided unless you have written permission from the land owner, or manager. This is the area that threatens our trail access most. What seems like a fun jump or trail can be looked at as a liability to land owners. This is where most of our problems come from.

If a group of volunteers has changed a trail that you liked and it is now more sustainable, please don't undo the work that was done.

so rather than go on forever, I will let others chime in to add some info. Thanks for reading and don't be afraid to ask questions.....this is a "ridicule free" post.

Last edited:

monkey boy

Self-Imposed Exile
Great post Frank!

Question
How do we get more of the triangle signs up? The ones with a horse, hiker , and biker showing who yeilds to who. I have seen them but not as often as maybe we should. Is it a park responsibility or could they get put up during TM sessions.
I know we don't want the woods plastered with signs but maybe on the trails as well.

As a community we are all responsible for the actions of our peers. Remember the people who get spooked or "run down" by a biker are going to remember it more than the polite biker. its a shame but true. If anyone knows what signs I am talking about the bike yeilds to everyone.
Peer influence will go a long way. If you are out riding and see someone pull a bone head manouver call them out on it. don't let it go un noted. next time they will think twice about it. especally if it is a group of folks out riding and call someone out on something.
:mad2: pick up you trash.:mad2:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think I'm on an island on this one, or at least a small land with a wall around it. But I feel that what you do in the parking lot bears as much (if not more) importance as what you do on the trail. Consider that on the trail you're likely to see a person here or there but in the lot you're bound to congregate with all the other bikers and hikers and even people sitting in lawn chairs reading a book, something I've seen before.

So, if you pull up, music blaring, basically seen as disturbing the peace in the lot, before you get on the trail, you leave more memories in the minds of the people who see you than you probably can on your ride.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Good point Norm. I have pulled into parking lots with people just chillin and looking at me like I am an alein. Also, if there are rocks/picnic tables to play on, it is much more visable to anyone in the parking lot or even driving by. While your fellow mountain bikes may be impressed with the technical skills, non-riders may see it as vandalism.

Good perspective, I never thought of it this way. I am usually the one playing on anything ridable in the parking lot. :hmmm:

Frank

Sasquatch
Question
How do we get more of the triangle signs up? The ones with a horse, hiker , and biker showing who yeilds to who. I have seen them but not as often as maybe we should. Is it a park responsibility or could they get put up during TM sessions.
I know we don't want the woods plastered with signs but maybe on the trails as well.

Rules of the trail signs should be at trailheads of all parks. Whether or not it is the parks responsibility.....I'll have to get back to you on that. Let us know which parks don't have these signs and perhaps we can apply for them. Most parks don't want us adding a bunch of signs on the trails. Here at Allaire I have been fighting for trail names for years. Now we have brown plastic posts with colors on them...it's a start.

Frank

Sasquatch
What's good

Getting involved in trail maintenance at your local park. It doesn't take a lot of time and it is very rewarding. There is nothing like riding some great trail that you were a part of.

Meeting new people....be friendly, say hi. A lot of the people I ride with I have met in the trails.

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
My $.02 - nonrefundable.

I want a billboard in the parking lot of my local trails that reads:

DO NOT DIG A BIG HOLE TO BUILD A CHEEZE BALL JUMP!!

Last edited:
D

DANSPANK

A big bone of contention is the building of features on trails. A lot of the time the answer is "not without permission from the land owners/managers". As a first step it would be an idea to post contact info of Trail Management groups as a sticky in the Trails Directory on each trail.

So when I click on the 6mile trail details I will see trail reviews, gps links and contact details of Jdog and the gang that maintain the trails.

I'm not saying that the land owners/managers will agree to start adding features but at least your input can be considered when further development of the trails is being determined. You may not get your 6ft teeter-totter but you might be able to get your berms included in the plans...

Frank

Sasquatch
I want a billboard in the parking lot of my local trails that reads:

DO NOT DIG A BIG HOLE TO BUILD A CHEEZE BALL JUMP!!

I have applied for a grant for that billboard.:D
...it's also helpful to NOT build that cheeseball jump 50ft. from the road. That's just asking for trouble.

Frank

Sasquatch
Good point

A big bone of contention is the building of features on trails. A lot of the time the answer is "not without permission from the land owners/managers". As a first step it would be an idea to post contact info of Trail Management groups as a sticky in the Trails Directory on each trail.

So when I click on the 6mile trail details I will see trail reviews, gps links and contact details of Jdog and the gang that maintain the trails.

I'm not saying that the land owners/managers will agree to start adding features but at least your input can be considered when further development of the trails is being determined. You may not get your 6ft teeter-totter but you might be able to get your berms included in the plans...

You can contact these folks on the chapter page of JORBA and pose your question there.

D

DANSPANK

I'm not looking to build jumps or things, but I know others do. I just thought if it was made as easy as possible to find out who takes care of our trails then it would make it easier for people to contact them with their rennovation questions/suggestions - rather than them just going into the woods and building them.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Dan,

Your suggestion is duly noted. Steve has been bugging me about toying with the DB and adding some fields to it. So there's another one I might look to add. Maybe even something like:

* park website
* closest shop
* gps links
* jorba chapter link
* ?????

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
what's also good

Please, wear a helmet, and discourage anyone you ride with from going without one. This is not a matter of "trail manners" necessarily, but as a long-time rider, I still see far too many riders with no lids on, at Allaire particularly.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Dan - that information is there, kind of. For example, if you go to Hartshorne/Huber Woods from the "Trail Directory", you will see the "JORBA" logo towards the bottom of the page, next to "pictures" and "trail reviews". That links directly to the sub-forum dedicated to the chapter on the JORBA web site:

http://www.mtbnj.com/directory.php?f=show&id=20

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
while this is all fine and dandy (it really is a good thread), the larger issue isn't the people on this board.

it is educating the people who are NOT. fact is, most people who do the illegal stuff on the trails are misinformed and just want to have fun. the problem is, they don't realize that they're hurting everyone involved and putting the parks in a position where they HAVE TO react. and who do they punish? us. and they should.

respect what we have folks and be thankful. don't abuse it.

Frank

Sasquatch
the larger issue isn't the people on this board.

it is educating the people who are NOT.

This is very true..but we can all be "trail ambassadors" and spread the word in a constructive way. Like you said, most mis-users don't realize that they are being "bad". Good communication is the key....or a big stick ;) just kidding.

Top Bottom