Weekend Report 12-1/2

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Races

Lewis Morris TT - Saturday, 9:00 am. Be there or be a rhombus.
Holiday Cross - CX on Sunday

Stuff

Cycle Craft Holiday Sale - Fri-Sat-Sun

Group Rides

A big fat nothing? Have we collectively fallen off the wagon for winter already? Even the goat humper is quiet this weekend. Sad times indeed.

TM Sessions

South Mountain - Sunday, SUNDAY!!!! Not Saturday. Got it?

Weekly Trail Conditions Report

Allaire Good (11-29) - "Prior to yesterday's rain, Allaire was fantastic. I am sure it should be more than fine for this weekend. SS heaven." and "Everything's really coming together out there. Fast with some mud to make it fun." and "I was there this afternoon (Thursday). Just some random spots of mud that will be dry by the weekend. The leaves are down but well packed down. This place is sweet right now."

Allamuchy North Good (11-25) - "Allamuchy (Tranquility side) was in great condition with just a few wet spots on 11/25. Some of the exposed soil gave a satisfying crunch as my big 29er hoops rolled over it. There was one stone with ice on it but that wasn't the drop that made me endo spectacularly. Lots of leaves though so take care on fast hairpin downhill corners..."

Allamuchy Deer Park/Stephens Average (11-7) - ?

Blue Mountain Good (10-28) - ?

Chimney Rock Good (11-28) - "Chimney Rock is in good shape (I'm not), in places it's more wet than muddy. I did not have the time to ride anything on the other side of Chimney Rock rd. coming from Crim school, but I don't expect it to be too bad. Great job by the maintenance crew BTW."

Hartshorne & Huber Good (11-23) - "Hartshorne and Huber were very leafy, still some soft sand under those leaves but dry on Friday 11/23." and "It's been six days, but when I rode Huber last Friday, the leaf coverage was so comprehensive that literally no trails were visible. There were lots of places where I only knew where to go because of my knowledge of the park. Makes for interesting riding conditions. Hartshorne gets a lot more traffic, so it wasn't as covered as Huber that morning."

Jungle Habitat Average (11-27) - By extension from Ringwood, JH drops to average. Verified by mergs as, "The Jungle will be a bit wet, especially the Warthog Trail which suffers from runoff from the parking lot. (Boy I wish I had a few jackhammers for times like this). so javohl, definitely Average."

Kittatinny Valley Average (11-29) - "KVSP Average. Avoid the needle side of the park mon-sat during hunting season."

Lewis Morris Good (11-25) - Probably in fine shape with a touch of wet here and there. From Jake, "lewis morris was a wet carpet ride the other day, but i'm assuming it will a-ok by Saturday."

Mercer County Park Unknown (10-25) - Still "who knows" but this isn't a dry park so it stands to reason it's not in great shape right now.

Mahlon Dickerson Good (11-25) - "Mahlon was perfect over the weekend. I'd think even with the rain it should be ok."

Ringwood/Ramapo Average (11-27) - "Ringwood was rather wet two nights ago... I'd drop it down to average..."

Round Valley Good (11-24) - Was out at RV with the group ride last week and it was in fine shape, though very much covered in leaves which made things a bit messy. There were a few wet spots but we're talking about 5 total feet of mud, the main one being at the lowest point in the grassy field crossing.

Six Mile Average(11-27) - "Six mile is a mud fest." but then, "6 Mile was average as of last night. I thought it would be much worse." and "Just got back from riding 6-mile, muddy in the usual spots but otherwise most trails very nice. Actually drier than last week."

Sourlands Unknown (11-2) - Probably not in great shape right now.

Tourne Good (10-28) - ?

Wawayanda Good (11-28) - "Conditions were great this past weekend......dry with many leaves. Typical Fall conditions. We had rain early this week but it's been dry and somewhat windy ever since. The trails should still be in great riding condition." and "Still wet from all the rain we received all day and night Monday. The trails are still leafy and slick but should be good for the remainder of the week without rain."

Wildcat WMA Average (11-27) - By extension from Ringwood, WWMA drops to average.

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Lots of help needed here. Any info you can provide would be fanny-tastic.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ringwood was rather wet two nights ago... I'd drop it down to average...

Thanks, that helps update JH and Wildcat WMA as well. I'm thinking Wildcat is going to fall off this list. I never hear of people riding there.

Glancing Aft

Thanks, that helps update JH and Wildcat WMA as well. I'm thinking Wildcat is going to fall off this list. I never hear of people riding there.

Bill (graveyardman67) is supposed to take me on a tour back there. Still waiting..... :D

D

DANSPANK

Hartshorne and Huber were very leafy, still some soft sand under those leaves but dry on Friday 11/23.

Allamuchy (Tranquility side) was in great condition with just a few wet spots on 11/25. Some of the exposed soil gave a satisfying crunch as my big 29er hoops rolled over it. There was one stone with ice on it but that wasn't the drop that made me endo spectacularly. Lots of leaves though so take care on fast hairpin downhill corners...

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Leafy carpet...

Hartshorne and Huber were very leafy, still some soft sand under those leaves but dry on Friday 11/23.
It's been six days, but when I rode Huber last Friday, the leaf coverage was so comprehensive that literally no trails were visible. There were lots of places where I only knew where to go because of my knowledge of the park. Makes for interesting riding conditions.

Hartshorne gets a lot more traffic, so it wasn't as covered as Huber that morning.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
The Jungle will be a bit wet, especially the Warthog Trail which suffers from runoff from the parking lot. (Boy I wish I had a few jackhammers for times like this). so javohl, definitely Average.

norm-e: correction, South Mountain trailwork is Sunday 9am

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Dan - thanks!

Steve - thanks, and thanks!

G - thanks!

Mergs - thanks! Which one is Warthog? The big 2 mile long ST that goes around the parking lot?

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Mahlon was perfect over the weekend. I'd think even with the rain it should be ok.

6 Mile was average as of last night. I thought it would be much worse.

Kirt

JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks Kirt. One of the Jasons gave me the "mud fest" comment.

When? Very little standing water & some muddy spots but overall descent as of last night.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
When? Very little standing water & some muddy spots but overall descent as of last night.

Dunno, got the email yesterday.

I tend to wonder if any of this is worth the effort. After it rains for how long people still go out and ride in droves. When I was gone Chris tried to cover with a report and the Chimney Rock comment by "lurker" makes me think this is a waste of time.

xc62701

Dan - thanks!

Steve - thanks, and thanks!

G - thanks!

Mergs - thanks! Which one is Warthog? The big 2 mile long ST that goes around the parking lot?

I'm not Mergs, but yes. Animal Chute is the one from the kiosk to the parking lot... There will be a quiz later.:getsome:

xc62701

Thanks !mergs.
I don't think that came out the way I wanted it to.

Yes - Warthog is the 2 mi singletrack that circumnavigates the parking lot(Like that big word? ;) )

And just to add Animal Chute is the one from the Kiosk to the lot. I hope this clarifies any miscomunifornications.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
No no, I understood the first time. You were perfectly clear. As clear as an azure sky of deepest summer. (anyone?)

Kirt

JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Dunno, got the email yesterday.

I tend to wonder if any of this is worth the effort. After it rains for how long people still go out and ride in droves. When I was gone Chris tried to cover with a report and the Chimney Rock comment by "lurker" makes me think this is a waste of time.

I sometimes feel the same way about the tm, as do others that do a lot of it. Many ride the trails when they shouldn't & destroy the work done. Many never help out with the tm, yet offer plenty of excuses why they can't (i'd rather be riding too) or complain about the work done. I've decided to get over it, for the most part;) . Where am I going with this? Oh Yeah, what you are doing seems to be a good thing, at least to me. Both for the mtb community & for this website. It's a place to go to see what's going on. Whether they follow the advice is up to them, at least they can't say they didn't know.

Top Bottom