marking a route

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i need ideas for marking an unnoficial route through public lands(wma). i've seen the 'hash runners' flour markings, and they seem effective, but ugly. they might be better if thrown on the trail instead of on a tree or rock. a smashed tomatoe on the trail? dead body? it needs to be something biodegradable, and not to offensive looking. the people following the route would have route slips. these would just be sort of a "hey! there's a turn here! check your route slip.". would a handful of flour dropped on the trail be offensive?

would there be any way to 'scent' the areas with some kind of flowers maybe?

pinkshirtphotos

pumpkins? you can get them cheep and when your done just smash them and throw them in the wood so the deer will eat them.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
the idea being i wouldn't have to go back through to clean anything up till the next weekend to pick up whatever trash falls out of jersey pockets or bury any riders still on the course. that and it could get a bit cumbersome carying enough pumpkins to mark out all the turns....

J

jimex7

what about little flags like the gas company or hidden fence use.. how far apart are check point
maybe the attendant at check points can grab flags in that area on the way out at the end of day..

VanDbtRiver

i need ideas for marking an unnoficial route through public lands(wma). i've seen the 'hash runners' flour markings, and they seem effective, but ugly. they might be better if thrown on the trail instead of on a tree or rock. a smashed tomatoe on the trail? dead body? it needs to be something biodegradable, and not to offensive looking. the people following the route would have route slips. these would just be sort of a "hey! there's a turn here! check your route slip.". would a handful of flour dropped on the trail be offensive?

would there be any way to 'scent' the areas with some kind of flowers maybe?

maybe a cairn

anrothar

entirely thrilled
really don't mean to be shooting down ideas here, but:

removing them at the end of the day is not an option. it's a 50ish mile course...

there are already too many cairns along the trails built by hunters. would be confusing.

i'm thinking something organic that can be made visible on the actual trail, like flour would be best.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The thought of you hauling pumpkins out there is priceless. So I vote pumpkins.

Or breadcrumbs. If I tag with someone we're dressing as Hansel & Gretel.

Though if you bag those 2 suggestions the cairns seem to be a good one.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
bread crumbs might work. i wonder if animals would eat them before the racers get to them??

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you use breadcrumbs you might have to put Hansel & Gretel in your race title though I think.

I would imagine deer would be all over them so you may want to poison them so the trail will be marked with breadcrumbs or dead deer.

Wazu

I COULD BE WRONG but isn't there a 'sprayable' flour now? You could spraypaint arrows or whatever on trees in white flour maybe. :hmmm:

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i dunno. you got the connections in the baking industry, see what you can dig up! :D

i kind of like norm's poisoned bread crumbs/dead forest animals idea. and i definitely lol'ed at it, then began stroking my chin thinking about how it solves my desires for a visual and odor based marker....

pinkshirtphotos

set off flour bombs, cover the trees and all so it looks like it snowed.

what about water based spray paint? it will wash away with the rain but will look good.

VanDbtRiver

i dunno. you got the connections in the baking industry, see what you can dig up! :D

i kind of like norm's poisoned bread crumbs/dead forest animals idea. and i definitely lol'ed at it, then began stroking my chin thinking about how it solves my desires for a visual and odor based marker....

baby carrots are high vis patchoully oil smells and stuff... carrots and hippy oil can lead someone thru the woods

Shaggz

A strong 7
yep - the stuff JBog pointed out is the way to go. we used it when marking survey points on dirt/grass when i was in the environmental industry. i would not suggest using it on trees.

D

DANSPANK

How about getting some rice paper, cut it into strips and tie them around trees. It'll be light to carry and will degrade or be eaten afterwards.

Or you could borrow my paintball gun - it's pretty sweet!

Top Bottom