How's Clayton park trails???

Sandman98

I been riding Allaire and I want to try some trails and I decided to try Clayton. I just want some tips or advice on this park. Any input are greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a great day!:)

wonderturtle

I been riding Allaire and I want to try some trails and I decided to try Clayton. I just want some tips or advice on this park. Any input are greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a great day!:)

Clayton is lots of fun. lots of very flowy ups-and-downs. all of the hills are totally makeable - especially since every uphill is preceded by a downhill - just follow the momentm right up the hill.

trails are very smooth and well maintained. like Allaire, very non-technical (but, again, flowy and fun).

less sand than Allaire.

the park is VERY small though, so if you are there for any amount of time you'll basically be going in circles, turning around and doing the trail backwards, etc.

and its a hike (at least for me).

definitely a good "change of pace" type place if youre sick of the same ole trails

Sandman98

Clayton is lots of fun. lots of very flowy ups-and-downs. all of the hills are totally makeable - especially since every uphill is preceded by a downhill - just follow the momentm right up the hill.

trails are very smooth and well maintained. like Allaire, very non-technical (but, again, flowy and fun).

less sand than Allaire.

the park is VERY small though, so if you are there for any amount of time you'll basically be going in circles, turning around and doing the trail backwards, etc.

and its a hike (at least for me).

definitely a good "change of pace" type place if youre sick of the same ole trails

Thanks! Very informative. I will go there sometime this week.

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The place is tiny. I'll stop there after work somtimes because it's close to the office. It usually takes me 20 minutes to do a full lap of the park. After 3 or 4 laps, my brain starts to bleed from bordom. It's kind of like a dirt crit.

The trails are very wide. Nothing technical about them at all. Very flowy and fast. If you've never been here before, I'm sure you'll have a blast. IMO, not a place I would travel any long distance to go and ride. Watch out for horses!!!!

Sandman98

The place is tiny. I'll stop there after work somtimes because it's close to the office. It usually takes me 20 minutes to do a full lap of the park. After 3 or 4 laps, my brain starts to bleed from bordom. It's kind of like a dirt crit.

The trails are very wide. Nothing technical about them at all. Very flowy and fast. If you've never been here before, I'm sure you'll have a blast. IMO, not a place I would travel any long distance to go and ride. Watch out for horses!!!!

It's 20min away from me. I will go try it this week. Thanks.

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
There is one section that is very rooty, but if you go fast enough, you will go right over them easily. I like roots, much better than rock IMO.
As was mentioned is very small. But honestly I love Clayton. Wish I lived 20 minutes from there. Small so its easy to decide how long you want to ride and just repeat loops in the other direction. I have so much fun when I go there, I dont mind repeating loops. "old forge trail" is my favorite, go in a clockwise direction is best off of Dr creek (or something like that :rolleyes:)

Sandman98

There is one section that is very rooty, but if you go fast enough, you will go right over them easily. I like roots, much better than rock IMO.
As was mentioned is very small. But honestly I love Clayton. Wish I lived 20 minutes from there. Small so its easy to decide how long you want to ride and just repeat loops in the other direction. I have so much fun when I go there, I dont mind repeating loops. "old forge trail" is my favorite, go in a clockwise direction is best off of Dr creek (or something like that :rolleyes:)

Thanks ma'am, I was thinking about doing it clockwise and do the loop. Have a great week!

TeamMuddySprocket

Basically go left out of the lot into the field and keep making lefts once in the woods.brings you back to the lot 5mi or so loop

first ride through there today. lots of fun. i'm a little lacking on uphill endurance but still made it up most of the climbs. had to get off and walk a little ways for a couple, though :p

TeamMuddySprocket

first ride through there today. lots of fun. i'm a little lacking on uphill endurance but still made it up most of the climbs. had to get off and walk a little ways for a couple, though :p

Clayton is decievingly hilly ! A good work out, the hills aren't too steep or technical so you can just keep grinding or spinning for a killer cardio workout

Sandman98

I was there this morning for the first time. This is a great work out and the trails are very fair and rewarding. There's some slippery spots and some puddles. A huge tree is blocking Forge trail. I cant wait to comeback.

markd

Just rode it for the first time. got a bit winded on some of the climbs, my old age is showing. much busier than i'm used to in other parks. must have been at least 10 other bikers, a few runners, some hikers too. lots of sand. i will def go back, a good workout for me. nice wide trails, great sections of downhill track to pick up speed. i'd recommend it. btw, watch out for a large tree down on Doctor's Creek...

Sandman98

Just rode it for the first time. got a bit winded on some of the climbs, my old age is showing. much busier than i'm used to in other parks. must have been at least 10 other bikers, a few runners, some hikers too. lots of sand. i will def go back, a good workout for me. nice wide trails, great sections of downhill track to pick up speed. i'd recommend it. btw, watch out for a large tree down on Doctor's Creek...

My mistake, I thought its in Forge trail. I posted a picture of it in the "condition" forum.

slinky

I rode clayton for the first time today, and I was pretty impressed with it for what it is. Like most have said, its pretty small, but the downhill sections are a ton of fun, the uphills not so much, but you can always just turn around and ride them as a downhill.

Sandman98

Nice trail condition

My son and I was there this morning and the trails are great. There's a huge tree blocking the bridges trail though. Anyway, it's dry and you can hit it really fast.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions