Woody Wants a New Bike - Advice Please?

woody

After 10 years, my Crappondale/Deadshok ride has got some death rattles. I think it’s finally time for me to get a new bike. Any suggestions on what to get? (or what NOT to get?)

Gotta be:
  • Single Speed
  • Full Rigid
  • Disc brakes
  • Indestructible (I only weight like a buck sixty, but I tend to break stuff)
  • Material: A bit less harsh than my aluminum Cannondale F600, but not too noodley. (steel? scandium? titanium? carbon?)
  • Size: longer than my Medium F600 (I’m 6’1” tall), but similarly low standover height
  • Price: Must be a good value. Not necessarily low price. I'll gladly pay for quality, reliability and a lifetime warranty. I won't pay just for brand/image/exclusivity.
Probably:
  • Sliding vertical rear dropout (preferably not EBB or horizontal dropout, definitely not singleator-type tensioner)
  • 26”…I think
  • tubeless...pros/cons?
Notes:
  • I’m willing/able to build the bike, or I’d be happy to buy it complete if it's spec’ed right.
  • I’d also consider buying a used (but not abused) bike.
  • I'd prefer to Demo before I buy.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
There are at least 2 Haro Marys around here we could take for test drives. You've tried the (steel) Karate Monkey and both of us thought your current bike was better in any number of ways.

I think you should just build it up yourself. You'll never be happy with anything that comes stock from top to bottom, IMO. Go tubeless. It's just a no brainer (IMO) with a FR bike.

Why not horizontal dropout?

Sean can give you a solid opinion, as he is the one who most resembles your riding style, IMO. But he rides the bike neither of us cared for (the KM).

J-Dro

Why not EBB? I have one on my Raleigh xxix and have had zero problems. Also, you owe it to yourself to ride a 29er SS before ruling it out. Lifetime warranty? Good luck with that one.

ArmyOfNone

The mary is deff worth a shot. You will be very happy with the large wheels, especially where you ride. You cant beat the price point as well. The only immediate upgrades i would say would be the brakes. And you have the bb7s on your rig now so you could move those over to the new ride. Maybe a carbon fork and tubeless wheels as well. Tubeless before anything.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Sean can give you a solid opinion, as he is the one who most resembles your riding style, IMO. But he rides the bike neither of us cared for (the KM).
Sean's been rocking a Gary Fisher Rig for a while now as well. You're into the same price point and frame material as the Cannondale 1FG 29er, but the GF geometry is pretty unique. The 2008 bike is spec'ed with the Fox 29er fork instead of the Reba, which I assume is an upgrade, based on my experience with Rock Shox vs. Fox.

woody

Why not EBB?
EBB is not totally out of the question. Just seems a bit strange to mess with your bb geometry in order to get your chain tension right. On the other hand, a sliding vertical dropout or horizontal dropout messes with your chainstay geometry...imperfect world.

Also, you owe it to yourself to ride a 29er SS before ruling it out.
I've now ridden two different 29er SS. As Norm mentioned, I was not impressed by the KM. I was, however impressed by my Cousin's (brand name forgotten) which I rode last weekend. Rolled right over stuff that would have been tricky on my 26. But here's my thinking on that: a lot of the riding I do is too easy already. The challenge of getting through the tricky stuff is what makes biking fun for me, so I'm not inclined to get a bike that makes my ride LESS challenging. On the contrary, I was envious when I saw a guy ride into Chimney Rock on some crap Kmart girls bike with a basket on the front and another basket on the back and like 1.5" hybrid-style tires. That's hard core! He just hammered right down the trail with the baskets clanking away. (no joke!) The only reason I don't go that route is that I'm not a graceful rider and I hate to have my ride cut short by something breaking. I need a tough bike. Maybe I should take a BMX bike out into the woods :getsome:

Lifetime warranty? Good luck with that one.
When I broke my Cannondale frame: they replaced for free. When I snapped my RaceFace cranks: new cranks, no questions asked... that's the kind of stuff I mean.

P

pdm362

Jamis is making some really good SS for the 2008 season. They are fully rigid and they have 26 and 29er versions. If you haven't ridden a fully rigid SS then I think going the 29er route will not make things easier but will give you a challenge is different aspects. Going DH on my rigid is really tough and takes a huge toll on my body. I think you will have fun either way because SS ridig is probably the most hardcore riding I've ever tried that it really feels like mountain biking.

Paul

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
woody, maybe you should just build one. find a nice frame and go.

you're welcome to give my mary a shot. it comes well spec'd...even though i have upgraded a few pieces here and there...but nothing major. stock wheels/hubs/fork/stem/mary bars. the 16" frame i ride is perfect for anyone who rides a 17" or 17.5" in the 26" world.

if you find your riding too easy, maybe follow sean around for awhile? i dunno.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
the 08 rig is a great bike to go with. the fox is definitely an upgrade based on what i've heard. it fit's your geometry requirements to a T. long top tube, low standover. the ebb clicked a little on me when i first got it. i lubed it once and have not had to touch it since, despite submersing it multiple times in streams and puddles. it doesn't slip and works great with disks. the standover for an appropriately sized km is just normal. not mor, not less. i love my km the way i have it setup. the slightest tweaks in stem/bar/seat/grips/crank length/pedals can make a huge difference in liking a bike or not.

29" wheels, in my opinion(and the opinion of many, many others) is the way to go for ss. the exra momentum you need on the climbs is definitely better on the big wheels. little roots and rocks can just be plowed over like they aren't even there.

the only real problem i had with the rig, that a good number of people i've spoken to have had, was the cranks. they're flexy and the left arm has a tendency to loosen up and fall off without warning. i replaced mine with lx ones and have had no problems since.

walter

Fourth Party
Woody, you are more than welcome to ride my mary. We are about the same height and I ride the 18". The 20" just felt to big for me. My mary has been upgraded as well with a bnch of carbon, including the fork. Maybe you can borrow the mary, norm can borrow the F29 and you two can go spin around the woods for a bit.

woody

Woody, you are more than welcome to ride my mary. We are about the same height and I ride the 18". The 20" just felt to big for me. My mary has been upgraded as well with a bnch of carbon, including the fork. Maybe you can borrow the mary, norm can borrow the F29 and you two can go spin around the woods for a bit.

Thanks Walter, I'll definitely take you up on that! Maybe this weekend? I'll be in touch...

woody

the 08 rig is a great bike to go with. the fox is definitely an upgrade based on what i've heard. it fit's your geometry requirements to a T. long top tube, low standover. the ebb clicked a little on me when i first got it. i lubed it once and have not had to touch it since, despite submersing it multiple times in streams and puddles. it doesn't slip and works great with disks. the standover for an appropriately sized km is just normal. not mor, not less. i love my km the way i have it setup. the slightest tweaks in stem/bar/seat/grips/crank length/pedals can make a huge difference in liking a bike or not.

29" wheels, in my opinion(and the opinion of many, many others) is the way to go for ss. the exra momentum you need on the climbs is definitely better on the big wheels. little roots and rocks can just be plowed over like they aren't even there.

the only real problem i had with the rig, that a good number of people i've spoken to have had, was the cranks. they're flexy and the left arm has a tendency to loosen up and fall off without warning. i replaced mine with lx ones and have had no problems since.

Sean,
Good info on the Rig, thanks.
I'll keep an open mind on the 29" and EBB until I chalk up a couple more test rides...

woody

woody, maybe you should just build one. find a nice frame and go.

you're welcome to give my mary a shot. it comes well spec'd...even though i have upgraded a few pieces here and there...but nothing major. stock wheels/hubs/fork/stem/mary bars. the 16" frame i ride is perfect for anyone who rides a 17" or 17.5" in the 26" world.

if you find your riding too easy, maybe follow sean around for awhile? i dunno.

Thanks Jake
I think you're right about building a bike...now need to decide what frame to start with...
I'll pass on the test drive - sounds like Walter's Mary will be a better fit for me.
I'm sure you're right about following Sean around for more of a challenge - I'll do so whenever I get the opportunity. But the reality is that I live 5 minutes from Chimney Rock so a big chunk of my riding will be there for the foreseeable future. Being a fairly small park, and not especially difficult, I'm hesitant to buy a bike that will make the park 'smaller' and 'easier'.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks Jake
I think you're right about building a bike...now need to decide what frame to start with...
I'll pass on the test drive - sounds like Walter's Mary will be a better fit for me.
I'm sure you're right about following Sean around for more of a challenge - I'll do so whenever I get the opportunity. But the reality is that I live 5 minutes from Chimney Rock so a big chunk of my riding will be there for the foreseeable future. Being a fairly small park, and not especially difficult, I'm hesitant to buy a bike that will make the park 'smaller' and 'easier'.

Without question we're in "build your own bike" territory here. Let's ride this weekend and talk more about it.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
If you are 6'1" a 29r is mandatory.Please,please,please don't reason yourself into thinking any other way.................

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I dunno. You guys don't really understand how Woody rides. He really doesn't care about speed, or "rolling over" things. He's just as content to spend 2-3 hours at Sourlands averaging 3-4 mph than logging 30+ mile rides.

I don't know what that says about 26 versus 29 at all. Just making the point.

Top Bottom