Heart Rate Monitor

Wazu

I'm looking for a heart rate monitor. I think. You need one right? I'd like to buy the "Toyota Corolla" of monitors. Any suggestions? Can you get one that doesn't wrap around your waist or have electrodes? Someone....guide me please.:)

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'd go with a Polar model. They're all going to have a chest strap. But as I say in the PM thread, all you need is a plan, Stan. Gerald. Whatever.

K

ks9mm

it's not the Toyota Corolla, but I definetly recomend it...Garmin 305.

will do a lot more then just heart monitor and for $200 ... tought to beat the price.

Shaggz

A strong 7
I have been using this one:

http://www.polarusa.com/products/fseries/f6.asp

I have nothing else to compare it to, but it allows you to set 4 heart zones, counts calories and amount of time in each zone, among other features. The menus are intuitive. Only nit to pick is that the set button is sensitive, but there is a lock feature so you don't accidentally start/stop mid workout. Data can be downloaded to PC, via pc sound input.

ArmyOfNone

IF you can id check out the 305. I have a polar that i payed like 60 bucks for. It watches my ticker just like the rest of them. They are all the same just depends on how many bells and whistles you wanna pay for

J

jimex7

i used to belong to jdara
we used to ride atvs every where
now i have two atv that i ride nowhere nobody bothers me on my mtb

R

RyanE77

ya i love mine. i think it is the hugo of moniters but it gets the job done. but if you are going to get one i recomond to get a good one that tells you the calories,max hart rate,time, stop watch, clock, how long it takes you to get to your rested hart rate, so on....

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I have a polar that i payed like 60 bucks for. It watches my ticker just like the rest of them. They are all the same just depends on how many bells and whistles you wanna pay for
This pretty much covers the basics.

As to "needing" one: Yes, it's very valuable to wear one for an extended period of time and learn about your body. Developing knowledge of the relationship between your HR and RPE (rate of perceived exertion) is pretty vital.

I used one for several years in the late 90's; I'm thinking about going back to one this winter, for the reason I list above. I'm not really sure what sort of heart rates I'm attaining these days and would like to have some data to associate with the effort levels.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Funny, I've been wearing my HRM for the first time in years in the past 2 weeks.

bozizle

no strap

Is there a decent reliable model on the market that does NOT use a strap around your chest? My wife uses one and I have tried it but do not enjoy using the strap.

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
Is there a decent reliable model on the market that does NOT use a strap around your chest? My wife uses one and I have tried it but do not enjoy using the strap.

Any monitor with out the chest strap is not going to be that accurate. I have seen HRMs where you have to put your fingers on the watch to get a reading. I doubt it is very accurate and you would never get a view at what your heart really peaks at. If the strap bothered you, check out polars HRMS. I am pretty sure they have shirts have the strap built in and you just pop your monitor in.

Wazu

Thank You

Thanks for the imput everyone. Man, you have to wear a strap around your chest? With all that sweat? Yuckies. If Coach Chris says its important I'm gonna get one. No bells or whistles though. Next comes the gps.

Top Bottom