Wanna Help with a new Legal Trail??

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I have been working along the fine JORBA folks to take Mt biking to the next level at 6m.

I won't bore you with the details of red tape but the reality of adding a legal addition to the blue trail just east of canal road is coming soon.

Please e-mail Wobbegong (Jason Pace) if you would like to come and help put in about 1/2 a mile of twisty single track. This first cut is being watched closely so a good turn out followed by a super trail would be super.

He is keeping a list of volunteers.

I figure we will do a trail day on a Sunday in either 1,2 or 3 weeks. I am just awaiting final approval from the park commission.

peas

J-

scalpel6

I have been working along the fine JORBA folks to take Mt biking to the next level at 6m.

I won't bore you with the details of red tape but the reality of adding a legal addition to the blue trail just east of canal road is coming soon.

Please e-mail Wobbegong (Jason Pace) if you would like to come and help put in about 1/2 a mile of twisty single track. This first cut is being watched closely so a good turn out followed by a super trail would be super.

He is keeping a list of volunteers.

I figure we will do a trail day on a Sunday in either 1,2 or 3 weeks. I am just awaiting final approval from the park commission.

peas

J-

Let me know when and where :wedgie:

D

dzm3

Post the date

When you get the firm date and time, please post it here. I will be there!

dz

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Soon..

When you get the firm date and time, please post it here. I will be there!

dz

It will be on a Sunday to avoid the Bow Hunters. An arrow in the eye can ruin your day.

One of the next few Sundays. Most likely NOT Nov 4th as that is the mini mt bike fest at Fair Hill.

I am still waiting on a response from the Park They wanted to walk the proposed trail route before giving the go ahead to cut it.

As for what to bring..

There is a bunch of prickers on the way so

Heavy duty rakes
Grub Hoes (not that kind)
Machete
Shovel
Pruning Saw
Long handled heavy pruning shears
Work gloves
I am guessing that nothing gas powered will be allowed but if we get the OK a small pruning chainsaw would be good.
Crappy clothing that you won't mind ripping
Digi Camera to record the before and after shots and group pics for the Jorba folks

We might ride after so a bike and related gear is a good plan.

I would leave small kids and pets at home for this one.

Perhaps Frank H can kick in some other suggestions??

There is also a need for a short bridge that we might build that day or another. If I can get the go ahead I might just build it at home and bring it there that day. Other wise we might need a cordless circular saw and some scrap 2 x 6's if anyone has some about. Left over deck building material that is weather proof is best.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Same here. Post up the date & time & I'll try & make it over to help.

lurker

hey newb here. i dont know anyone on this board at all, but seeing as how im am starting to ride all these trails figured id volunteer to help and meet some of you guys

Frank

Sasquatch
Most park systems don't allow chainsaw use unless you have passed a safety course. I use a cordless sawzall with a demo blade....good stuff. Pick Mattocks, Pick Axes, MacLeods, and Pulaski's (I know I'm gettin' ahead of myself here).

Last edited:

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG

peas

J-

hey, you *are* JORBA folk now... stand by for the "secret handshake" and initiation ceremony administered by none other that Sgt-At-Arms Frank Harms.

p.s. make sure you and wobbegong drop us a line on the final details so that we can add it to the calendar on jorba.org

Last edited:

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Most park systems don't allow chainsaw use unless you have passed a safety course. I use a cordless sawzall with a demo blade....good stuff. Pick Mattocks, Pick Axes, McLeods, and Polaski's (I know I'm gettin' ahead of myself here).

Leave it to a sourKraut to mis-spell Pulaski. At least you nailed MacLeod.

Those tools are plenty good for your project. A folding hand saw or bow saw should do fine. If you do have to remove a sapling, do it fully... cut it about 1-2 foot from the ground, then use the Pulaski to hack out the root ball (should be small) and yank it all out. Don't leave that stump/wheel catcher in the trail... if you can help it.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions