trainers

newspills

Ok, so i have been reading as much as i can about these things. and i am confused a little. so here are my questions.
1. will i be able to use my mountain bike on it? wihtout changing the tire.
2. i dont want to spend a lot money, what are some good options?

the two i was looking at were blackburns, either the fluid or magnet one..
i know about the whole---- fluid is most realistic thing. but is the magnet one not worth it.

i have almost convinced the "one who must be obeyed" to let me get one.

Please help

BiknBen

1. will i be able to use my mountain bike on it? wihtout changing the tire.
2. i dont want to spend a lot money, what are some good options?

A typical trainer would not be good with MTB tires. You could put a slick tire on it though. Some trainers are "Rim Drive" where the resistance wheels pinch the side of the rim rather than roll against the tire. I've seen these but never used them.

The Mag units tend to be cheaper. It's older technology and not as "realistic" as the fluid units. If you are trying to stay cheap, just get the mag unit. The mag units will also last forever. It's a simple design with little that can go wrong.

Another thing worth considering is noise. The mags are typically louder than the fluid. You may want to find a shop that is willing to let you try a couple different models.

Shaggz

A strong 7
i used my FS with a slick last year w/o issues prior to purchasing my road bike. quite frankly the mtb setup was more comfortable, however, it only had 2 rings up front. checkout the prices on agees (www.agees.com). they had a good selection and the best prices on the web, hands down.

browse through this forum (training) and there are some good threads about trainers and Chris G posted up some gnarly workouts.

http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1366

Last edited:

walter

Fourth Party
Last winter my wife bought me a cyclops fluid trainer. I have had no issues whatsoever with it. I was using my wifes mtb with a slick, and my 4 y/o daughters room is right above where I ride, er, spin, and it didnt bother her at all. I, as well as many others would suggest a program or a bad ass musical routine to keep you going. Spinning on a trainer is sometimes the most worst thing.

ArmyOfNone

If you are ready to enter into the realm of pain and bordem based upon what you were looking at already, the blackburn fluid trainer is super smooth and quiet. I have the cycleops fluid2 which seems to be doing me right.

I cant wait to pick up rollers this winter. THAT WILL BE FUN!

newspills

settled

or should i say decided. I went with the cycleops magneto. a bit more than what i wanted to spend but just finished my first ride on it. Not too bad. just gotta figure out what the right setting would be. is it supposed to sound like the tire is screaching? and should the tire leave a mark on the drum? thanks

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
or should i say decided. I went with the cycleops magneto. a bit more than what i wanted to spend but just finished my first ride on it. Not too bad. just gotta figure out what the right setting would be. is it supposed to sound like the tire is screaching? and should the tire leave a mark on the drum? thanks

Tighten up the resistance on the tire. Screeching usually means it's not in full contact with the drum the whole revolution. Tires - especially cheap slicks - are rarely exactly symmetrical. On the road obviously not really an issue. But on the trainer it makes a difference. I would do a 1/4 turn and keep trying until the screeching is gone. Marks on the drum no problem.

monkey boy

Self-Imposed Exile
rollers rollers rollers. I even use them warming up for a race. Now that is an intresting sight on a MTB. :rofl:
You will develop the best pedal stroke possible and they are super cheap.

newspills

no desire for those roller things. my front tire is already against my entertainment stand. anyyyyyyyyway, i somehow managed to pop my tire on the trainer. freakin great.

Top Bottom