Greetings from West Milford

steverod23

Great site !

I've been riding a hardtail since the late 80s back in the day when neon was all the rage. I thought I would be a hardtail bum forever, but finally gave in and bought a dual suspension this year. Don't know why I waited so long - I feel like a kid again on the trails.

I tried my first race at Lewis Morris this summer. [Shar0se, I came in just ahead of you that day.;) ] I was considering the Ringwood race this weekend, but my left knee popped a few days ago and I am taking it easy for the rest of the month. Now I have the bug. With a bit of training, I will do the entire H2H series in 08.

Pete from Town Cycle is the best wrench around ! He Keeps the new Stumpjumper in fine shape after my ongoing crack-ups in Wawayanda and Ringwood.

Work typically prevents me from riding during the week.:drooling: Nothing like counting down the hours until the weekend. I look forward to meeting you out there on the trails.

NJ Jess

hi

hi there, you are in one of the best places to Mtb bike. Hope to ride with you some,...definitely the Campmor H2H series next year!

monkey boy

Self-Imposed Exile
aaaahhh West Milford.
Best riding around.
Once I get back on the bike I'll keep an eye out for the 80's neon on the trail.
Remember the golden rule. If anything at all negative happens to you or your bike Blame Pete:D But if anything good happens take all the credit for your self:D I has always worked for me and so far I have never been guilty of any wrong doing.

bozizle

Yo

steverod23 we live in Hewitt backed up to the park. Probably going to ride Sunday morning at Wawayanda meeting up at cherry ridge road entrance with my wife....let me know if you will be around

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Gargantuan is
A four syllable word that
Means big. Go ride now.

J

joanqs

if you ride and fall
please remember the haiku
silly

welcome!

Last edited by a moderator:

steverod23

Banged up knee

steverod23 we live in Hewitt backed up to the park. Probably going to ride Sunday morning at Wawayanda meeting up at cherry ridge road entrance with my wife....let me know if you will be around

As soon as I get my left knee healed up, I'll PM you. I am definitely out for the rest of October. I'm seeing the orthopedic guy Tuesday.

It blows missing the Ringwood race ...

Steve

steverod23

Glad to just keep up

hi there, you are in one of the best places to Mtb bike. Hope to ride with you some,...definitely the Campmor H2H series next year!

I would be happy to just keep up with you. Do you have any recommendations on building up endurance when I can only get out on the weekends ? Between crazy work hours and the kids, any time in the woods is a luxury.

Steve

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i know you were asking jess, but:

do you live close enough to your work to commute by bike occasionally? do you own an indoor trainer or rollers? i'm sure those of us with kids and an indoor trainer can attest to the benefits of increased saddle time it affords you. it'll definitely have you fitter for those weekend rides.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sean is right, you can build plenty of fitness on the trainer, or better yet riding to work. Own a road bike?

If you can't afford any time during the week at all it's going to be tough. Stop watching TV? Wake up earlier? There's always time it's just a matter of how much you want to sacrifice. I'm not saying there's a right/wrong answer, so don't take it that way. It will depend how important it is to get more saddle time. A lot of people are perfectly content just doing the Weekend Warrior thing.

steverod23

I don't own a road bike, but I've been thinking about an indoor trainer.
What's a good source to find out more about them ?

monkey boy

Self-Imposed Exile
steverod
Don't know where intown you live but Jungle Habitat, Ringwood and Waywayanda are all pretty much in town. you can always sneak in an hour or two after work or hammer it out on the weekends. the nice thing is you could most likely ride to any of the trail heads on your mtb.
Town Cycle could help you out with an inexpensive roade bike and trainer for the house. I would definately recommend rollers over any trainer out there. the learning curve is steep but the benefit is so worth it.
talk to Pete and Mike see what they have to say.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I would say go with the trainer over rollers but you know what they say about opinions. :)

steverod23

You guys are a tough crowd. I was thinking of a stationary bike, but I agree with you that's it's a bad idea. I am leaning towards a trainer since space is a bit of an issue. I'll get to Town Cycle this week and pick their brains.

Steve

Top Bottom