Night Ride! Mahlon this Sat (Oct 13th)

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Riders,
Reminder that this Saturday, Oct 13th , is the monthly Morris Trails Partnership night ride. :cool: This ride will be at Mahlon Dickerson, and will be for intermediate to advanced riders. As usual, there will be two parts to the ride to allow some flexibility for your schedules and desired ride time. You can ride either one, or both:

Ride 1: (Approx 7 miles) Meet at Saffin Pond parking lot at 5:00pm to gear up. Ride starts at 5:30 sharp and returns to Saffin Lot approximately 7:00pm.
Ride 2: (Approx 10 miles) Meet at Saffin Pond parking lot at 6:30 to gear up. Join riders from Part 1 at 7:00. Return to Saffin Lot approximately 9:00pm.

Certain requirements in terms of lights, tools, etc apply. Please see the details at this URL:

http://morristrails.org//index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=4&id=26&Itemid=67

If you plan to attend, please email me with your name, which ride(s) you'll join, and cell phone number. I will email you my contact info in return. This will be important to make sure we can reach each other the afternoon of the ride in case of any changes in plans (e.g. Lost your way, threat of rain, etc).

Hope to see you there!!!
Greg

Last edited:

anrothar

entirely thrilled
why do i always have to be working overtime when there is a legal night ride at mahlon?? :confused: last year and this year right around this time. oh well. enjoy the ride everyone. i'll be less than two miles away driving brats around on a tractor pulled hay ride for jefferson townships fall festival.

xc62701

Riders,
Reminder that this Saturday, Oct 13th , is the monthly Morris Trails Partnership night ride. :cool: This ride will be at Mahlon Dickerson, and will be for intermediate to advanced riders. As usual, there will be two parts to the ride to allow some flexibility for your schedules and desired ride time. You can ride either one, or both:

Ride 1: (Approx 7 miles) Meet at Saffin Pond parking lot at 5:00pm to gear up. Ride starts at 5:30 sharp and returns to Saffin Lot approximately 7:00pm.
Ride 2: (Approx 10 miles) Meet at Saffin Pond parking lot at 6:30 to gear up. Join riders from Part 1 at 7:00. Return to Saffin Lot approximately 9:00pm.

Certain requirements in terms of lights, tools, etc apply. Please see the details at this URL:

http://morristrails.org//index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=4&id=26&Itemid=67

If you plan to attend, please email me with your name, which ride(s) you'll join, and cell phone number. I will email you my contact info in return. This will be important to make sure we can reach each other the afternoon of the ride in case of any changes in plans (e.g. Lost your way, threat of rain, etc).

Hope to see you there!!!
Greg

Argh! Why does it have to be the night before the Ringwood race? I'd love to do this!!!

D

Diane

Hey I'd like to ride, but having recently pushed my bike up and in some spots, down, the Yellow trail (east-north east from rock rill, past beaver brook toward haedley over look etc) and in the interest of not wanting to slow anybody down (or be seen crying), can you tell me what route you're looking at? ps sorry if this posted twice, I hate when that happins.

Riders,

Hope to see you there!!!
Greg

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
The plan is...

Hey I'd like to ride, but having recently pushed my bike up and in some spots, down, the Yellow trail (east-north east from rock rill, past beaver brook toward haedley over look etc) and in the interest of not wanting to slow anybody down (or be seen crying), can you tell me what route you're looking at? ps sorry if this posted twice, I hate when that happins.

Hi Diane. Ride #1 will be on the South side of Weldon road, riding the yellow loop clockwise from Saffin Pond. The 1st third is rolling fire-road, followed by the nasty descent down The Wall (which I think one of the stretches to which you refer) then head up to the newish singtrack that bypasses the Devils Staircase and ends up at Rock Rill. Then head back to Saffin, and ride the technical sections on the east shore of the pond and east of the parking lot.

Ride #2 will be on the North side of Weldon. Up the rail trail till the next right hand singletrack, then a big counterclockwise loop that takes in 3 Rocks, Boulder Trail, Cascade, a bunch of stuff through Pine Swamp, then a ride through the area west of the rail trail, then the technical descent back to Saffin.

I try to set up the loops so that we ride in a direction where the steepest pitches are descents and the gradual pitches are climbs, but walking where you feel in over your head is perfectly fine. This is usually a low-key group, and as leader I don't hammer (nor could I if I wanted too ;) ), so don't feel like there's any pressure. The idea is to enjoy an evening of cool riding.

That said, this is an intermediate to advanced ride. Much of the loops will involve technical riding (lots of rocky/rooty stretches, logs, etc, made all the more technical at night). I don't know what level of rider you are, so it's hard to give you guidance. If you've been MTB'ing regularly for a few years, have ridden Mahlon enough to know most of the singletrack, and know what I'm referring to on both sides of Weldon, you should be fine. If you typically walk the rocky stretches or avoid them, I'd suggest getting some more time there during the day to get more comfortable with the trails before riding there at night, otherwise you'll spend much of your time hiking your bike. Don't forget you'll need solid lights. I once had a couple show up with nothing but penlights :confused: , despite sending them all the guidelines, including those that stipulate proper lighting systems. Again, since I don't know your level of riding, I am only pointing these things out to help you manage expectations. If you'll be joining us, be sure to email me (you can do so by clicking on my avatar) with your info, as I may not check this forum regularly.

Cheers!
Greg

Top Bottom