Girls Ride at MTBNJ picnic

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
So, I thought I would just see if there was any interest in a girls ride/s at the MTBNJ picnic at Lewis Morris on Oct 20 ??

Any particular levels ? Pace ?

Ellen

Women's Ride

I would definitely be interested in an all women's ride. But I don't ride at race pace.

Also, I wouldn't mind leading a slower paced ride,.....umm,....as long as all the racers agreed to come out and search for us if we didn't return by three days!;)

S

Shar0se

that sounds good!! and Lewis Morris is a place where I know I can actually ride most of the trails in the park. :) I'm with RosyRambler though- with Ringwood the next day a nice easy fun ride would be great- or maybe an expert and a beginner ride??

J

joanqs

I think this is a great idea. My only request is that we don't do it too early. :)

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
:) I'm with RosyRambler though- with Ringwood the next day a nice easy fun ride would be great- or maybe an expert and a beginner ride??

If you are refferring to The H2H race at Ringwwod, That is on th 14th the weekend before the picnic.

mcw

Hi everyone, I am definitely interested. I haven't gone to the trail much this year. Let me know when everything is confirmed. :)

S

Shar0se

If you are refferring to The H2H race at Ringwwod, That is on th 14th the weekend before the picnic.
ah ha.....thanks for the update- I wrote it down as the 21st in my planner..... sure then lets' ride away!

Also, another idea- of the females that I have met most do not know how to change a tire- including me. Maybe we could have a brief tire changing class w/ a few other tips on how to maintain your bike. Or is this not the place to do that? Just a thought....

J

JerseyGirl

definitely in for a girls ride... sounds like a great plan.

"All Women's Ride"

ladies,

i am glad to see such interest in an "all women's ride" at the picnic. hopefully this will inspire my wife to want to spend more time on the trails. if you haven't already, please rsvp here:
http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3488

Thanks!

Hi Shaggz,

I'm just curious. Why did you use the phrase "all women's ride", instead of calling it a "girl's ride", like they usually are?

To me a "girl's ride" conjures up 10 year olds or 20-somethings, of whom I have no problem riding with. But, most, if not all of the women on mtbnj are just that, mature women. And calling it a girl's ride kind of conjures up females ripping up the trails at high speed.

Also, calling riders who prefer to ride at a slower, not a race pace, "beginners" isn't quite accurate. I'm not a beginning rider (I've been MTBing since 1989), but I have no desire, or need, to go bombing along trails at such a fast pace that I can't enjoy the surrounding scenery.

Perhaps there could be some sort of "ride rating" system that poster's could use when arrranging group rides, or looking for ride partners.

Thanks for listening

Cynthia

Girl's/Women's Rides

The above post was meant to be a PM to Shaggz :eek: , so I know I'm off the thread topic. (I'm dead tired right now, sorry)

But since it's out there,....I guess everyone else can know my thoughts on the subject.

Mare

Girls Ride

I don't mind being called a girl... it makes me feel younger and who wants to age anyway?

I think it's impossible to define and rate all the rides. Lewis Morris isn't that big and with a big group there, if you lose the pack, you will make your way back to the festivies and/or get picked up by someone who knows the way.

Just show up, have fun and don't worry about all the definitions.

DD-

Ride ratings

I've always wondered why mountain bikers don't give pace and terrain information when posting a ride like the roadies do. :hmmm:

You know like, Allamuchy (north) terrain B+, pace 5-8 mph avg, for instance

I usually laugh when I see "social pace", knowing that my idea of "social pace" can be very different than someone elses interpretation :D

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Definition of social pace .... riding slow enough so that NJJess can talk.:D

Last edited:
S

Shar0se

I will be travelling back from Boston on Sat morning- any idea about what time the girls ride will be?

Shaggz

A strong 7
Hi Shaggz,

I'm just curious. Why did you use the phrase "all women's ride", instead of calling it a "girl's ride", like they usually are?

To me a "girl's ride" conjures up 10 year olds or 20-somethings, of whom I have no problem riding with. But, most, if not all of the women on mtbnj are just that, mature women. And calling it a girl's ride kind of conjures up females ripping up the trails at high speed.

Also, calling riders who prefer to ride at a slower, not a race pace, "beginners" isn't quite accurate. I'm not a beginning rider (I've been MTBing since 1989), but I have no desire, or need, to go bombing along trails at such a fast pace that I can't enjoy the surrounding scenery.

Perhaps there could be some sort of "ride rating" system that poster's could use when arrranging group rides, or looking for ride partners.

Thanks for listening

Cynthia

hello,

didn't see this post until now. i spent 6 years working in a nyc hospital. using the term "girls" around a bunch of crusty old nurse managers would only lead to an ass whoopin', so, i guess it is a subconscious survival technique. i will make every effort to refer to you as girls, OK? :)

as far as "beginner" goes, i don't recall using that term. after many years of riding, i am still slow, and prefer to call my rides casual paced. generally, i think people tend to rate rides by pace and skill level, and i am sure that this might be a good topic of discussion on the RRE forum.

see you at the picnic, ladi.., i mean girls :D

Shaggz

A strong 7
Rosie,

Thought I would mention that I read through this thread again, and post number 2, which is your post, is titled "Women's Ride".

I would definitely be interested in an all women's ride. But I don't ride at race pace.

Also, I wouldn't mind leading a slower paced ride,.....umm,....as long as all the racers agreed to come out and search for us if we didn't return by three days!;)

So I guess you should be asking yourself the same question ;) :D

Shaggz

Last edited:
Rosie,

Thought I would mention that I read through this thread again, and post number 2, which is your post, is titled "Women's Ride".

So I guess you should be asking yourself the same question ;) :D

Shaggz

:) Thanks for sharing your opinion Shaggz. I specifically used the words "women's ride" in my original post because I prefer to be called a woman. It's been a while since I've "felt" like a girl, and an even longer time since I've been a girl, in the literal sense of the word.

When I was in my 20's and 30's being called a girl (not in the literal sense) sounded OK to me. But since I am now 53, my perspective on life and on myself has changed, and the word woman just suits me better experientially than the word girl does.

I'm not saying that I feel old, old physically (although my body certainly doesn't feel or act the same as it did when I was 25;) ); or that I feel '53' (Whatever that is. It means different things for different people). In the past 25+ years of my life I have experienced and learned a whole lot more about life, and all that living changes one as a person, for better or worse.

Some may just consider it semantics, but I can almost assuredly guarantee anyone out there that they will not feel or be the same person at 53 years of age as they were at 25. And if they are,.....well, they missed out on a whole lot'a livin'.

Oh, and my coments on "beginners didn't necessarily have anything to do specifically with anything you said; just my own random thoughts.

To Mare45's post: "....who wants to age anyway."

I've learned that age or aging is for the most part a state of mind. If I feel old, then I'll be old. I don't believe that prefering to be called a woman rather than a girl means that I've "aged" in some way. I know young 'females' in their early 20's who prefer to be called woman rather than girl. Again, it's semantics or personal preference.

:eek: Sorry this got so far off the original post, but that was what sparked it for me.

;) And don't worry, I won't get all :getsome: if someone calls me a "girl".

Top Bottom