Leg Burn Eliminator

Sircrashalot

Saw an ad in bike magazine for magic no leg burn pills. Went online & found that the pills have 3 things, each of which a centrum has more of. Magic pills cost $26 for a bottle, centrum much less & has more day to day stuff. Magic pills said to take 1 hour before riding. Took 1 centrum 1 hour before riding yesterday instead of in the morning-----dramatic reduction in leg burn!!!:hmmm:

Anybody else have tips or similar experiences?

clutch

Saw an ad in bike magazine for magic no leg burn pills. Went online & found that the pills have 3 things, each of which a centrum has more of. Magic pills cost $26 for a bottle, centrum much less & has more day to day stuff. Magic pills said to take 1 hour before riding. Took 1 centrum 1 hour before riding yesterday instead of in the morning-----dramatic reduction in leg burn!!!:hmmm:

Anybody else have tips or similar experiences?

The funny thing is, their claims are based on a 12 patient clinical performed 4 years ago. Wanna bet they've performed other studies that show no difference over placebo and just don't publicize them? I wonder if they did any non placebo controls an what kind of differences they saw.

http://www.sportlegs.com/what/what.asp

anrothar

entirely thrilled
before and during endurance races i'll pop magnesium and calcium supplements. perhaps i should add vitamin d as well.....

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Some people love sportslegs, some think they're useless. I cramp less now that I'm in better shape. Warming up properly will also help with leg burning, as well as a lot of other things, IME.

NJ Jess

Nutritional deficiency

Nearly all human beings are deficient in one or more vitamins, minerals, or hormones (Vitamin D is actually a hormone,...not a vitamin.)

This is due to age, occupation, lifestyle, gender, genetics, food supply,...on and on and on.

Most athletes would benefit from a multimineral (major and trace minerals) supplement. Trace minerals are so forgotten in most nutritional supplements.

If you feel better from taking any supplement,.....you probably had a slight deficiency. However, more is not always better, since it does not yield "even better" performance once the body's maximum is reached.

Really try to eat more fruits and veggies,...your body loves them even if your tastebuds don't.

ytc100

Good point Jess about deficiency vs. diet. I eat a healthy diet but probably not enough raw veggies and fruits. I also sweat out huge amounts of minerals as is evident in the salt crust left on my camelback and helmet after riding. Additionally I have found that my body appears to be pretty acidic which requires more electrolytes to buffer this acidic condition resulting in a "deficiency" when riding. I put deficiency in quotes because I feel that if I wasn't pushing my body so hard I would never notice the relatively low levels of electrolytes. You do have to be careful with some supplements though and I encourage any one considering supplemental additions to their diet to look at the following web site for more information:

http://dietary-supplements.info.nih...tamin_and_Mineral_Supplement_Fact_Sheets.aspx

All I can say is that I went from cramping badly and consistently on harder rides at around the 8 mile mark up until mid July. I started taking supplements and trying to be better diet wise and one month later I was able to ride longer at the same effort without cramping. A month after that and I'm riding with more strength and less fatigue I ever have. Could it be I am just finally conditioned for this level of riding? Maybe, but I strongly feel the extra electrolytes helped me to not cramp which allowed me to push through my lower level of fitness.

Here is some info about good food sources for said supplements:

An abundant source of calcium in the American diet is dairy products – two glasses of milk per day provide 1,000-1,200 mg of calcium. If you choose to get your calcium via dairy products – and this is not essential, as there are many other sources of calcium – make sure you use only hormone-free, organic dairy products to reduce your exposure to the antibiotics and hormones found in many dairy products. Non-dairy foods rich in calcium include: greens such as collards, mustard, kale, and bok choy; canned salmon (with bones) and sardines; tofu that has been coagulated with a calcium compound; calcium-fortified soy milk, fruit juice and cereals; blackstrap molasses; and broccoli.

How do you get enough magnesium from foods?
Good dietary sources of magnesium include whole grains, leafy green vegetables (spinach is a great source) as well as almonds, cashews and other nuts, avocados, beans, soybeans and halibut. Be aware that a diet high in fat may cause less magnesium to be absorbed, and cooking may decrease the magnesium content of food.

How do you get enough potassium from foods?
People usually get adequate potassium through their diet. Most fruits are good sources of potassium, especially bananas, as are dark leafy greens, potatoes and legumes.

How do you get enough vitamin D from foods?
It isn't easy to get enough vitamin D from your diet. While fortified foods such as milk and cereals are available, most provide vitamin D2, a form that is much less well utilized by the body than D3. Good dietary sources include fortified foods, eggs, salmon, tuna, mackerel and sardines. Since sunlight causes our bodies to make vitamin D, daily exposure is helpful.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i know this topic has been beaten into the ground a million times before and there is plenty of evidence pointing in both directions, but:

milk and other dairy products have alot of calcium, this is true, but they also contain enzymes for the assimilation of that calcium that are useless to humans, and are only really suited to ruminants like cows and goats. it is an absolute fact that the countries with the highest dairy consumption per capita also have the highest rates of osteoperosis per capita. the oppossite(lowest/lowest) is also true.

and that is not coming from a vegan standpoint. i eat alot of fish and just now finished eating a couple of slices of pizza for lunch.

ytc100

I agree with the dairy info that anothar points out. Milk is just plain nasty to me and I eat very little dairy otherwise. The non-dairy sources are things I don't eat a lot of hence my theory that I am probably low on calcium intake in general.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've drank soymilk for so long now that when I have regular milk I simply don't like it. I still like cheese and ice cream, though they don't make up a substantial part of my diet.

On days I don't ride, I eat around 2000 calories. On weekdays I still track the food I eat on fitday.com. And I'm rarely low on any vitamins/minerals. The typical American diet tends to have plenty of everything people need.

I still try to remember to take my daily Centrum.

J

Jeff

I usually have 2-3 bowls of FiberOne or Kashi cereal per day, and go through a gallon of milk in 2-3 days. I absolutely love it! Also a gallon of green tea every 1-2 days, which I also can't get enough of. As far as "real food" is concerned, I try to eat as much tuna or chicken breast as I can fit, every two-three hours for as long as I'm awake (Usually eat at 7, 10, 1, 4, 7, 10). The only other thing that I really eat are all-grain bagels with veggie cream cheese. Also, when I'm at home, I'll eat apples or cut up cantaloupe to hold me over until the next meal. Anybody notice anything vitamin/mineral-wise that I would be blatantly lacking in?

keithsly

I definately recommend FISH OIL... You can get in a pill form at GNC...

Interest and scientific support for higher levels of dietary fats also came from the zone diet. It is now generally accepted that the 30% fat component of the zone diet is an acceptable level rather than the low fat levels of the high carbohydrate and low fat diet (Brown, 2000). Fats at this level assist with reduction in lactate production due to lower carbohydrate burning. Research (Pendergast; 1994) has shown improved running performance over a two-month period on higher levels of fats.

The optimal diet for endurance athletes is slowly being defined. The 30% fat level should comprise good fats (olive, flax seed and fish oils) and should conform to a ratio of 2:1 olive:flax/fish. If body weight is a hindrance to athletic performance then the 30:40:30 is strongly indicated. Choice of carbohydrates should be complex and good quality carbs (cereals, fruit and vegetables). The weight of anecdotal research evidence supports the use of the zone diet for endurance athletes, specially when the exercise form is low intensity as in distance running.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I usually have 2-3 bowls of FiberOne or Kashi cereal per day, and go through a gallon of milk in 2-3 days. I absolutely love it! Also a gallon of green tea every 1-2 days, which I also can't get enough of. As far as "real food" is concerned, I try to eat as much tuna or chicken breast as I can fit, every two-three hours for as long as I'm awake (Usually eat at 7, 10, 1, 4, 7, 10). The only other thing that I really eat are all-grain bagels with veggie cream cheese. Also, when I'm at home, I'll eat apples or cut up cantaloupe to hold me over until the next meal. Anybody notice anything vitamin/mineral-wise that I would be blatantly lacking in?

Vitamin A. Add like 5 baby carrots a day and you're good.

J

Jeff

Vitamin A. Add like 5 baby carrots a day and you're good.

Danke! I will do this.

As far as fish oil is concerned, i do take that too. As well as some ginkgo biloba for the mind and glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM for the joints & ligaments.

walter

Fourth Party
Danke! I will do this.

As far as fish oil is concerned, i do take that too. As well as some ginkgo biloba for the mind and glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM for the joints & ligaments.

Jeff, any insight on the glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM combo? Any difference pre as oppose to post taking them. In short, have you noticed any difference, do your joints feel better, creak, crack etc.?

anrothar

entirely thrilled
my mom takes glucosamine chondroiten complex in the liquid form and has found that you notice results much much quicker, and thus more drastically.

J

Jeff

Jeff, any insight on the glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM combo? Any difference pre as oppose to post taking them. In short, have you noticed any difference, do your joints feel better, creak, crack etc.?

I've definitely noticed a difference. It's so gradual, though, that it's hard to notice unless you are able to think back and remember how you felt 3-4 months ago, or however long it was before you started. I have had Osgood-Schlatter Disease since a pretty young age (basically, cartiledge in knees tearing from growth spurts and sports activity). That, combined with billions of knee-smashes on my headsets have left me with some pretty hurtin' knees. Since I've started them, I feel great. They say that 'Osgoods' goes away with time, so that could have something to do with it, but my joints genuinely feel a lot better.

J-Dro

I've definitely noticed a difference. It's so gradual, though, that it's hard to notice unless you are able to think back and remember how you felt 3-4 months ago, or however long it was before you started. I have had Osgood-Schlatter Disease since a pretty young age (basically, cartiledge in knees tearing from growth spurts and sports activity). That, combined with billions of knee-smashes on my headsets have left me with some pretty hurtin' knees. Since I've started them, I feel great. They say that 'Osgoods' goes away with time, so that could have something to do with it, but my joints genuinely feel a lot better.

My son has Osgood-Schlatter's and it got to be so painful that he had to give up all sports/running for almost 2 years. I was ignorant of O-S until I watched him go through it. Like you say, it went away over time but there is pretty much nothing the doctor can do for you until you outgrow it.

J-Dro

When I had knee surgery last year I asked my surgeon's opinion on glucosamine/chondroitin. His answer was that it seems to help some people but is largely inconclusive... But it has no ill side effects so basically why not try it? I've been taking it every day for a couple of years now and while its not a miracle joint potion, it seems to help the cartilage in my knee. Is this placebo effect? Maybe, but its cheap and safe so why not. And it takes months to see any effect so don't expect overnight results

Top Bottom