NY Trail Alert

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
Cross post from our buds in Long Island, CLIMB. The trail in question is super fun and critical to Long Island's MTB scene. Please take a few mins to help them out of you can.

The info:

Fellow CLIMB members,

Nassau County is considering transferring Stillwell Woods Preserve to the Town of Oyster Bay. They think it will save them money.

The problem is that Town of Oyster Bay wants to bulldoze the woods and rear fields to create more parking lots and soccer fields.

You need to write a letter to Tom Suozzi and tell him you oppose the transfer of Stillwell Woods and you want to make sure that the forest and fields are preserved.

Write your own letter or copy and paste the one below:

Nassau County Executive
Thomas R. Suozzi
1 West Street
Mineola, NY 11501

Dear County Executive Suozzi,

I am a member of Concerned Long Island Mountain Bicyclists (CLIMB) and have recently become aware of a plan to transfer Stillwell Woods Preserve to the Town of Oyster Bay. CLIMB has been maintaining the mountain bicycle trails within the preserve since 1990.

I oppose this transfer. Nassau County needs to protect our open spaces. I heard the Town of Oyster Bay would bulldoze the preserve to create more parking spaces for more soccer fields.

Stillwell Woods Preserve is one of my favorite places to mountain bike, please do not allow any destruction of the forests and fields within the preserve.

Thank you for your consideration and time.

Sincerely,

(your name)

clutch

Do you have anymore info on Oyster Bays Plans? I don't see why you would have to bulldoze the woods. It looks like they have room enough to put 3 or 4 soccer fields and a bunch of parking into the existing field back there.

Might I also suggest trying to work out a compromise with Oyster
Bay? Part of your loop may need to end up getting paved, but maybe you can get a pump track or some dirt jumps out of it.

Trail Map
Satellite

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
Do you have anymore info on Oyster Bays Plans? I don't see why you would have to bulldoze the woods. It looks like they have room enough to put 3 or 4 soccer fields and a bunch of parking into the existing field back there.

Might I also suggest trying to work out a compromise with Oyster
Bay? Part of your loop may need to end up getting paved, but maybe you can get a pump track or some dirt jumps out of it.

Trail Map
Satellite

Stillwell is a pretty short loop, any paving there would blow. I am cross posting this since some of us live close to LI or have vested interest in the LI scene, but honestly besides sending a letter I dont know much about the plans. All I know is LI and the northeast in general is too developed and we dont need another effin soccer field or more parking lots. :D

anrothar

entirely thrilled
EVERY municipality breaks an assload of environmental regulations. find out what oyster bay is doing and call the epa. they wont be bulldozing any woods anytime soon if that happens.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Stillwell's short, but fun. There are precious few places to ride in LI, any effort to preserve this patch of woods will make a difference.

Top Bottom