Road Tubeless!

MST.ESQ

Should I be looking for a special marking on my rims to see if they are tubeless ready? I have Mavic Ksyrium Elite rims that came on a 2010 model bike. I remember reading that you put tubeless on these rims for him. Do you know the first year they were tubeless ready? Do I need rim tape? I am seriously considering going this route.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Should I be looking for a special marking on my rims to see if they are tubeless ready? I have Mavic Ksyrium Elite rims that came on a 2010 model bike. I remember reading that you put tubeless on these rims for him. Do you know the first year they were tubeless ready? Do I need rim tape? I am seriously considering going this route.

You don't need tape for those. The rim well is already completed sealed. At least that's how they are on my Ksyrium equipes. U need valves, tubeless tires, and sealant.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
In the off chance that you flat, how do you repair? Do you just patch the tire?

Just put in a tube. You need to make sure you can unscrew the tubeless valve stem though. They can get gummed with sealant.

But flats rarely happen

antgold

I have a good experience with those tires .I'm on my second pair
it's a bit pain to install , but once there are on the bike , hardly no issue.

one issue - the tire body is constructed from carbon fiber (instead of calvar ) and is more pron to side cut .
Tip : .
if your bike is hanged during winter time ,you have to refresh the sealant .
this is true for every tubeless installation ...

The Kalmyk

There is without a doubt in my mind this is the way road bikes will be set up in the future... I know the tube companies probably will throw big money to defend their product but they will be in someone saddle bag, strapped to the bike or in a jersey for back up... Such a difference riding at 90-100 psi versus 120

warcricket

Like a Jerk
you skidding on 70 dollar tires?

Man, skidding? That hasn't been cool since like 2008. my fixie is my primary commuter and I don't want to be late to class or work because of a flat. Besides I'm swimming in money.
286896_10150354118630073_642600072_8449068_1588358001_o.jpg

AnthonyC

There is without a doubt in my mind this is the way road bikes will be set up in the future... I know the tube companies probably will throw big money to defend their product but they will be in someone saddle bag, strapped to the bike or in a jersey for back up... Such a difference riding at 90-100 psi versus 120

Does anyone actually run 120psi on their clinchers anyways? Depending on conditions I usually run something in the neighborhood of 95-105psi on clinchers and a) have very little trouble with flatting; and b) find the ride quality on top-level clinchers to be pretty good. And I'm no sprightly 130lb climber. (That said, the ride on tubeless might be better. I don't know.)

What I'd like to know: Can you go to lower PSI with road tubeless? Riders in Paris-Roubaix (admittedly extreme conditions) often run 60-75psi on tubulars. How good is the road tubeless technology these days? Can you run that without burping or rolling the tire?

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Does anyone actually run 120psi on their clinchers anyways? Depending on conditions I usually run something in the neighborhood of 95-105psi on clinchers and a) have very little trouble with flatting; and b) find the ride quality on top-level clinchers to be pretty good. And I'm no sprightly 130lb climber. (That said, the ride on tubeless might be better. I don't know.)

What I'd like to know: Can you go to lower PSI with road tubeless? Riders in Paris-Roubaix (admittedly extreme conditions) often run 60-75psi on tubulars. How good is the road tubeless technology these days? Can you run that without burping or rolling the tire?

On a true tubeless ready rim, you can go so low that you will dent the rim before it burps air. On a regular rim I would not go below 80psi.

hagerfoot

On a true tubeless ready rim, you can go so low that you will dent the rim before it burps air. On a regular rim I would not go below 80psi.

J- what PSI do you recommend on tubeless. I've been riding @ 100. Can I go lower?

-Matt

Top Bottom