Race day backpack?

Spylab

I've finally gotten myself comfortable enough that I might try a race event or two next season. I've never spectated one (and even so, while you are there it is tough to tell who the leaders in the field are), and I am curious as to whether the frontrunners generally wear Camelbak-sized packs for water and supplies (i.e. patch kit, extra tube, tire levers, pump/CO2)?

It seems like a Catch 22. Wear it, and it's extra weight to lug around and an instantly overheated back. Don't wear it, and good old Murphy's Law will kick in and pinch flat a tube halfway through the course, causing a leader to fall off pace jogging their bike back to the pits.

Granted, I am sure many use a UST setup to avoid such problems, but for someone like myself still using tubes, what's the more common course of action?

ArmyOfNone

tube
2 CO2's
Multitool
Tire levers
Chain Links
19mm crescent wrench
Patch

(soon to be duck tape)

The tube goes in one jersey pocket and i have a pouch that holds everything else that slide right into another. No camelback. Two bottles and Im out! That seems to do the trick

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Go minimalist. Tube and CO2 kit in a small bag under the seat. Or stick a pump in a jersey pocket. If it's going to be a long hot race (Chain Stretcher) then wear it. Otherwise go with as little as possible. Race more often so that if you blow a chain, you take the DNF and say next time. If you put all your marbles in one basket, and pull the DNF, it's much more tragic.

Tire levers if you have tight tires. Any Kenda (for instance) can be ripped off with fingers, no problem.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
in most xc races, almost noone in the expert and pro class will be running a hydration pack. bottles only. and it has nothing to do with sponsorship. put your tube, patch kit, co2s, and multitool in a seatbag, strapped to your stem or seatpost, or as fred suggested. hydration packs restrict movement, are heavy and cause you to sweat more. in an event where hydration is difficult and cruscial, sweating more is the last thing you want to do.

ArmyOfNone

I like to have everything to get me outta the woods. It all fits in a nice little pack. Its true that if you blow a chain or tube your outta the race. But Id still atleast like to get a ride in and get a little bit of my moneys worth.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
you're not necessarilly out of the race. if you're good at it, you can change a tire in less than two minutes on the trail. while that might guarantee you'll be down a position or two, you could still podium.

ArmyOfNone

you're not necessarilly out of the race. if you're good at it, you can change a tire in less than two minutes on the trail. while that might guarantee you'll be down a position or two, you could still podium.

Well considering i normally race against me, myself and I...i believe you are correct. Third aint so bad

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Be prepared !

I like to be prepared and self reliant. I run ust, but still carry tube, lever, patch, lightweight multi tool with chain breaker, ducktape on Q-tip, quick link or piece of chain, and small piece tivec in tiny bag under saddle at all times, even when racing. I once won a race with a double flat, so I think it pays off.

For expert distance, bottles = legs cramps for me. Many of our courses are too demading to keep taking your hands off the bars and I will not drink enough. So I like a small pack for the convenience of drinking from a handy tube. I keep a pump and co2 in mine. I also carry a bottle with drink mix on bike for long races. Some pros will use bottles instead, and carry co2 and tube in pocket. Your choice.

This is not the tour de france, this is recreation on my valuable Sunday, and I deserve to be able to get to the finish line. I hope to see you there next year too.

Nimrod

How long is the Race?

Nimrod Rules

Under 2 hours, go with bottles and stick a tube in the back pocket of your jersey.

Over 2 hours is a whole other game....

This year for the VT 50 (6 hours(?) I'm packing
1 bottle of Perpetuium mixed with water
1 bottle of Perpetium power (with mix up about the 30-35 mile mark
Camelbak with 100oz water, tube, pump, and one Clif bar
a bunch of Hammer Gels
Enduralites (SP)

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Bill aka Graveyardman who is on the MTBNJ team won the 40-49 class at the LMC by 5 minutes and he got a flat. But that's a bit of an exception case. 2 minutes is a speedy change! Man I don't even have CO2 yet.

BiknBen

I tried racing for a while with just bottles. I ended up not drinking enough. I use a 50oz camelback. It's equal to two bottles. The tube slapping me in the face is a good reminder to drink.

Keep in mind that those Experts with bottles often have someone feeding them. Others stash bottles near the start/finish. They dump an empty and grab a full one as they go by.

I go minimal with other stuff. Tube, C02, and levers taped together and strapped under the seat.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
How about carry a chain tool as well with some power links and finish the race although maybe DFL... :D

You know, the only time I tried to use my mini chain tool in the woods I might as well have had a ham sandwich for all the good it did me. And it wasn't nearly as tasty. So I say either bring the full chain tool or scrap the idea :)

I mean it makes sense but it was useless for me.

Nimrod

Bill aka Graveyardman who is on the MTBNJ team won the 40-49 class at the LMC by 5 minutes and he got a flat. But that's a bit of an exception case. 2 minutes is a speedy change! Man I don't even have CO2 yet.

I can't get my kid to take out the garbage in 2 minutes.

Forget about changing a flat with a pegged heart rate

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Well you would stop to change the flat, so presumably your HR would go down :D

xc62701

You know, the only time I tried to use my mini chain tool in the woods I might as well have had a ham sandwich for all the good it did me. And it wasn't nearly as tasty. So I say either bring the full chain tool or scrap the idea :)

I mean it makes sense but it was useless for me.

Buy a good chain tool. My Crank Bro's multi-tool has a great one. I can probably piece my chain back together quicker than changing a flat.

Top Bottom