training / tapering

Nimrod

September 30th is the Vermont 50.

The last 6 weeks I've been glued to my Road Bike, 5 days a week 200-300 miles a week, with allot of hills = desperation training.

Two weeks ago did a century and finished with a 21.5 mph average, last Sunday another century, but much slower.

So now gotta rest (i'm tired after all the Road Riding) no riding, going to bed at 10pm, and only a couple of rides to prep for the VT 50

I'm thinking about a 2-3 hour, high intensity MTB ride Thursday and then on Sunday
1) Rumble in the Jungle
2) 2 plus hour, 23 mph Group Road Ride
3) 4-6 hour MTB ride

The next week = Don't know

I'll open up the floor to suggestions, as to what I should be doing now.

BiknBen

For many riders, tapering is a time when you maintain the intensity but decrease the duration of your workouts. The high intensity work maintains the peak fitness you've gained in training. The shorter duration keeps you from over-training, burning out, etc. and maximizes recovery.

You've done well to build endurance with the road riding. You didn't mention any any MTB races recently. I'd recommend doing the Rumble in the Jungle. It will probably be the shortest of the three options and will provide the most intensity. Prepare for it as you expect to prep for the V50. Give the pre-race bike setup, hydration, food, sleep, etc. a test run and see how it goes this week. It will make things easier the following week and give you an opportunity to tweak things.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
A "standard" taper would be 50% of your normal volume this week, then 25% next week. The H2H race this weekend would probably fit that well.

Don't worry about the lack of MTB races if your goal is more or less to finish. If you're looking to win/place/show then it's too late anyway.

Nimrod

Don't worry about the lack of MTB races if your goal is more or less to finish.

I'm to competive to "more or less":mad:

So.. I should be putting in about 6 or 7 hours this week and 3 next week.

All at a High intensity?:hmmm: and on on the Mountain bike?

btw = brought the bike to work today and degreased it, washed it. Will lube it up later.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Well it's hard to say - which is always going to be the answer. If you've been doing no intensity, don't do 6-7 hours of intensity this week. You'll blow up by Sunday. As Ben says you want to maintain intensity so the next 2 weeks will be based on what you've done in the past 4-6 weeks.

For an example, take a typical Tuesday workout by week:

Week 1: 6 high end intervals, 4 minutes each
Week 2: 7 high end intervals, 4 minutes each
Week 3: 8 high end intervals, 4 minutes each
Week 4: 8 high end intervals, 4 minutes each
Taper 1: 4 high end intervals, 4 minutes each
Taper 2: 2 high end intervals, 4 minutes each

Your warmup/cooldown times will be the same. The "meat" of the workout will be 50% and then 25% - in a classic approach. It's important to note that not everyone does the classic approach. Some people do 10 days of 50%. Other people don't taper. This is just one option and I haven't the foggiest notion what will work for you.

So whatever you did last Tuesday, do half of it today. And no you don't need to do it all on the MTB, at least IMO.

Nimrod

Well it's hard to say - which is always going to be the answer. If you've been doing no intensity, don't do 6-7 hours of intensity this week. You'll blow up by Sunday. As Ben says you want to maintain intensity so the next 2 weeks will be based on what you've done in the past 4-6 weeks.

For an example, take a typical Tuesday workout by week:

Week 1: 6 high end intervals, 4 minutes each
Week 2: 7 high end intervals, 4 minutes each
Week 3: 8 high end intervals, 4 minutes each
Week 4: 8 high end intervals, 4 minutes each
Taper 1: 4 high end intervals, 4 minutes each
Taper 2: 2 high end intervals, 4 minutes each

Your warmup/cooldown times will be the same. The "meat" of the workout will be 50% and then 25% - in a classic approach. It's important to note that not everyone does the classic approach. Some people do 10 days of 50%. Other people don't taper. This is just one option and I haven't the foggiest notion what will work for you.

So whatever you did last Tuesday, do half of it today. And no you don't need to do it all on the MTB, at least IMO.

I'm simply to beat up to ride today, need more time to recover, maybe take a nice bath today:rolleyes:

Thinking Thursday, 45 minutes to One hour of hills, then a 2 hour Fast Ride with the Local Race Boys.

Then Sunday Rumble in the Jungle (?) or a fast RR or MTB Ride for 2 hours, thats it, and it'll put me at 5 or 6 hours for the week.

ArmyOfNone

how big is your group that you can do a century w/ a 21.5 avg? That seems madening but hell of a job!

Top Bottom