Thinking about a carbon fork for winter..

Wobbegong

With the cold weather on its way, I've been thinking about switching my hardtail over to a rigid carbon fork and adding a large volume tire to the front. Last winter my suspension fork would feel like crap on the colder days. As the oil cooled, it would rebound really slow and pack down. It seemed like the conditions of winter riding really beat the thing up. I've been looking at the Pace RC31 fork (26 inch), looks like they have 2 models. Anyone use one of these forks, or have other suggestions to take a look at?

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Paging Walter to the white courtesy phone...Bikeboy566 as well...

I ride a steel rigid with a big fluffy front tire, year-round, and my suggestion is that you do the swap. The homies mentioned above both run Pace forks and will have good things to tell you, I suspect.

Wazu

Suggestion

Hey putting a 29" front tire and rigid fork would greatly benifit your riding experience. There is an entire DirtRag article on it in one of the last 4 issues. I gave my issue to someone. I"ll be doing this in the spring I'd expect to my bike. Big front wheels are less suseptible to washing out in turns. big wheels have a larger contact patch. Larger wheels roll over trouble. Personally I'd get a steel fork cause you are still saving weight. Carbon in the winter freaks me out. Just my opinion. Good luck. Oh, if you get a 29 inch front and leave the back 26 make sure that they order the correct length fork so that your original geometry is the same. Good luck.

bikeboy566

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Paging Walter to the white courtesy phone...Bikeboy566 as well...

I ride a steel rigid with a big fluffy front tire, year-round, and my suggestion is that you do the swap. The homies mentioned above both run Pace forks and will have good things to tell you, I suspect.

Thanks homies for the shou tout. As for the Pace fork i luv that fork i have been on it for a year and i ride CR 2 to 3 times a week(last season rode all winter with it) no Prob. the way they have developed carbon weaves now then they did years ago have come a long way. do it, its the one of the best rides i have been on in a long time ....word!!!!

Wobbegong

Hey putting a 29" front tire and rigid fork would greatly benifit your riding experience.

I'm trying to keep the cost within reason, so I'm only looking for a fork swap. Interesting idea though.

Thanks homies for the shou tout. As for the Pace fork i luv that fork i have been on it for a year and i ride CR 2 to 3 times a week(last season rode all winter with it) no Prob. the way they have developed carbon weaves now then they did years ago have come a long way. do it, its the one of the best rides i have been on in a long time ....word!!!!

Thanks for the feedback, sounds like your happy with the fork. I've never seen one up close, how is the build quality??

walter

Fourth Party
Awesome Awesome Awesome

I have been riding my Pace on my Mary 29 for about 2 months now. Incredible ride, i can describe it like this, if you ride with carbon bars, and you remember how it was when you switched from aluminum, multiply that times 10. It really is a great ride and the weight savings is insane. There is, for me, a bit of flex, but I would think that in the 26 version it may not be so noticeable, but I have absolutely now problems with this fork, its bad ass.

I am not around today(sunday), but I am off on wednesday and next weekend is open, you are more than welcome to take it for a spin, we can hook up at 6 mile if you want.

Wobbegong

I am not around today(sunday), but I am off on wednesday and next weekend is open, you are more than welcome to take it for a spin, we can hook up at 6 mile if you want.

Maybe next weekend will work, I',m off Fri, Sat, and Sun. Thanks for the feedback on the fork.

Top Bottom