Ten things I think I think...

BiknBen

Ten things I think I think relative to the Chain Stretcher.

1.) New York needs to reorganize their highway naming/numbering system. Why is there a 9A, 9D, 9S , and 9W. Then a 17, 17S, 17A, and 17M. These same roads also have names like Lord of all Idiots Memorial Highway. I shouldn't need an Enigma Code breaker to navigate through the state. Exits should be numbered with sign telling me where the ramp goes.

2.) Don’t tell me the first mile of the course is wide and allows for passing when there is only a 10 inch wide path that is actually rideable. Racers were funneled into a "Fire road" that was more like a drainage culvert covered with rocks. I was thankful to get a good position at the start.

3.) SS and geared racers should not start together. Each bike type has its own style of riding. On a SS you must attack as you approach a tough section to carry momentum through it. We don't have the luxury of shifting down as pedal cadence drops. Conversely, we eventually spin out on many flat sections and all downhills. The leapfrogging with other riders in the geared class was a nuisance.

4.) Each racer has their own idea of passing etiquette on the race course. No matter how passionate you are about your self-imposed rules of the trail, there are twenty guys around you that disagree and have their own rules that they think are better. If someone catches you or is sooo far up your a$$ that he points out your saddle soles...he is faster than you. Just accept it and move the fock over!!!

5.) I went to the race with no expectations and just wanted to have a good time. When some a$$hat gave me a “brake job” for rubbing his back tire I was in disbelief. That was the turning point in the race for me. I should thank that guy for really pissing me off.

6.) Being frustrated because you are unable to pass a rider does not allow you to be a prick to the guy behind you. Being able to get to the front and through inevitable traffic in a race is part of the strategy. If you can't pass the guy in front of you, don't be surprised if someone passes you both!

7.) The Chain Stretcher crew did a great job of organizing the start and getting us off on time. The results were also posted in a timely fashion. I joked with Norm that “things at a MTB race are never early and never on time”. These guys almost made me a liar.

8.) Racing on the Mary SS was cool but I’m kickin myself for selling my FS bike. I could not have done the Expert race on that bike. Simply too long and difficult a course for a SS Rigid tank.

9.) MTB races are too long. The places are decided after one lap and then you just hope that nothing unravels before the finish line comes.

10.) People are gonna read this and think it is cool or that I’m a total prick. Sorry, just spitting out my thoughts.

Last edited:

NJ Jess

okay

I'm laughing at your # 1. Every time I go to Blue,...I take a different road,..Tymor Park is the same thing.

I believe SS should be separate and they should all be giving a bell and an SS nameplate for their lower back. I heard Tim D with his bell before I "felt" him. I rode the shoulder and yielded the trail,....it sucks to lose motmentum.

Yes,...it was a dumb thing to sell your FS. Look at all the fun rides your are missing. More rides and Epic adventures,....without so much pain.

Yes, the chainstretcher WMBA.org folks are cool cats!

anrothar

entirely thrilled
3.) SS and geared racers should not start together. Each bike type has its own style of riding. On a SS you must attack as you approach a tough section to carry momentum through it. We don't have the luxury of shifting down as pedal cadence drops. Conversely, we eventually spin out on many flat sections and all downhills. The leapfrogging with other riders in the geared class was a nuisance.

strongly disagree. i ride nothing but singlespeed and (usually) won't race in the singlespeed class. it's a bike, not a handicap. should there be different categories for fs and hardtail? they approach technical sections differently. they often take different lines up and down hills and over obstacles. ss class is a farce. the riders are posting overall times comparable to those of the geared racers in their class, and often faster, so what's the point in a different category? if you're not going to win senior/master/vet expert, you're probably not going to win expert ss. dunno about the sport results, i haven't looked at em too closely. how long of a gap do you want at the start? you're still going to have to pass other riders and be passed by them. or would it be better to clear everyone off the course for the ss spectacle?

*rolls up sleeves. :D

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Oh I love this shit.

1. In addition to this thought, they need to let you know what road you're on. We were on that stupid Taconic Parkway until it told us we hit route 84. Not good. Hey, we're lost. Do ya think?!

3. I agree with Sean. The SS guys are choosing to race that way. In general I agree with Sean's outlook that the SS class isn't special in any way, be it good or bad.

4. This one is a tough one. I try to help faster people but I'm not getting off my line for you. If you want to pass I'll help but I'm not giving you the trail unless I'm still out there when the experts race. And if you don't announce yourself, and then cut me off, I might take your wheel out. I'm one of the most courteous guys out there. I encourage people who ride up the hills I'm walking. I ask if downed people are OK. I help faster people pass. But if you're a dick out there I'm going to reply in kind. Oh and if you go balls out to pass and then endo on the next obstacle - TWICE - get the f*ck outta the way.

9. It appears they went out of their way to make this course tough. JimG said he thought it was a good distance but then again, he's supposed to be racing expert ;)

10. Well I think it's just swell!

BiknBen

...ss class is a farce...

I don't claim that SS is superior and/or should be treated differently. Honestly, I'm not all stoked on SS. It's just another way to do the same thing. The series/promoters put the SS class in. That gives me the impression that they are separate, No?

I was not the only one being inconvenienced. The geared guys around me were just as annoyed that we were mixed together. Even a minute gap in start times would allow things to thin out and make it better for all involved.

In instances where my cadence got too low, I did not hesitate to jump off and run. If I saw guys dabbing and having trouble ahead, I anticipated it and jumped off before getting stuck. I did not hinder those who were riding but I suspect that my behavior was disruptive to others. I'm not for or against a SS class. I just entered it because it was offered and that is what I ride.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
you can race ss in the regular, ability/age based categories. the ss class is just for showoffs. ;)

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
1. you forgot 17K.

2. :confused:

3. Duly noted, and will be brought up at the promoters meeting. We want you to have fun. In the past, the expert ss have never complained about this, but there may be more sport riders out there this year.

4.5.6. easiest way to get ahead of flailing sport riders is to race expert.

8. yes it was a long race and FS sounds good to me. Nice job for toughing it out rigid.

It's all fun and a great learning experience. I hope you come back for more racing!!

BiknBen

Oh I love this shit.

4. This one is a tough one.

I'm going to expand my thinking on this one. It keeps coming up again and again.

We can argue passing etiquette until our eyes bleed. I've raced in both Sport and Expert. I did the Sport race this time for a number of reasons (financial, fitness, bike, course). Each passing situation is different and makes it futile to debate in a forum. FWIW, I do race with a bell and use it.

The Experts are a smaller field, they all know each other, and know it's a long race. While it is a race, there is an atmosphere or mutual respect and cooperation. The race becomes bearable and before and after is fun!

The Sport guys around me in the first lap seemed to be panicked as if it was a stampede. No one talked or communicated in any way. It was kinda like rush hour traffic. Everyone was grumpy, taking anything they could get, and eager to flip-off everyone else. It was not fun.

Once things thinned out I spent a long time with another rider. We were talking bout our bikes, the course, offering encouragement as we swapped places, etc. We ended up finishing 1,2 but I never felt like I was racing him. We just rode until the other couldn't keep up. We continued our conversations at the finish line. IMO, that's how it should be.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Aw, come on, that's not a counter argument! Just remember this. I've seen you pilot a moving vehicle exactly twice in my life - to the race, and from the race. And you got us lost twice! :D

After I posted this I had more thoughts, but I forget what they were. I believe one was that the guy passing has the field of view so needs to "quarterback" the situation. It's not up to the guy in front to know when the guy behind is going to pass. On a course like that 10 feet make the difference between moving over and running into a tree. So it really should be as simple as:

"On your left"

I move slightly right unless it's impossible.

"Thanks."

"You got it."

This happens about half the time. The other half is a situation which usually involves one of your panicked herd members. I know what you mean, but sadly I'm not in good enough shape to get myself out of that herd right now. In fact that's one thing I've just concluded - thus the thread from yesterday and the workout this morning - I need to start as if I'm going to win. If I blow up after 8 minutes and then fade, fine. Next time maybe it's 10 minutes. Then 15. Then maybe I get closer and closer to where I want to be. The way I'm approaching it now is easy start and try to pick people off which is just an impossible strategy.

I digress. Yeah a lot of guys out there refuse to reply to any comments you make. Walking up a hill, I say, "Damn this is fun."

No comment. I pass, take off.

"Hang in there man, just keep it fun, you'll get there."

No comment.

I think, WTF is wrong with people?

Oh and yeah I would add that the guy being passed should accept it, like you say. Don't go faster, crash, refuse to get out of the way, block the pass attempt...jeez, what's with people?

xc62701

I disagree with #2. There was more than one good line up that fire road at the start. I got funneled into the middle and then the single file line of guys started up the good path and there were more lines there. I road in the rough stuff and got past many riders. This is a MTB race right? Don't always aim for the paved stuff ;)

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm going to expand my thinking on this one. It keeps coming up again and again.

We can argue passing etiquette until our eyes bleed. I've raced in both Sport and Expert. I did the Sport race this time for a number of reasons (financial, fitness, bike, course). Each passing situation is different and makes it futile to debate in a forum. FWIW, I do race with a bell and use it.

The Experts are a smaller field, they all know each other, and know it's a long race. While it is a race, there is an atmosphere or mutual respect and cooperation. The race becomes bearable and before and after is fun!

The Sport guys around me in the first lap seemed to be panicked as if it was a stampede. No one talked or communicated in any way. It was kinda like rush hour traffic. Everyone was grumpy, taking anything they could get, and eager to flip-off everyone else. It was not fun.

Once things thinned out I spent a long time with another rider. We were talking bout our bikes, the course, offering encouragement as we swapped places, etc. We ended up finishing 1,2 but I never felt like I was racing him. We just rode until the other couldn't keep up. We continued our conversations at the finish line. IMO, that's how it should be.

ahhh, competition amongst people who do things for fun. it amazes me what happens at the start of races. this was one thing that I can attest to at the LMC. right after the start in the 30-39 sport class, some guy behind starts going ape sh!t and saying "jeezus f'ing christ, get the F outta my way people!!!". this was literally 20 yards from the start. now, i know VERY little about racing but one thing i do know is that unless you are GETTING PAID to race, there is no reason on the planet to be that big a d!ck. norm may have heard it too since he was either next to me or a little bit in front of me. at least at that point.

Glancing Aft

3) I Completely agree, I absolutly hated the mixed heat. Riding a FS rig I was not getting up the hills as fast as the SS behind me, however I did not feel I should have to get out of the way for every single SS as soon as the approached me. After all us geared bikes our riding our own race at our own pace. I didn't try to rudely barge past SS at every possible moments on the downhills. Taken right from the Campmor rules:

"Racers passing another racer must yell an appropriate term such as “Passing on your left”
or “Track left.” “Get out of my way” is not an appropriate term. A racer being passed
must yield at the first reasonable opportunity, but does not need to endanger themselves."

Unfortountily people forgot about the whole first reasonable opportunity aspect of the rules in the tight single track. Regardless I hope the start is never done in this way again. I had been considering doing a race on my SS but after seeing the way you guys act towards eachother and other racers I'm having my doubts.

Nimrod

ahhh, competition amongst people who do things for fun.

At the Hopbrook Dam Race this year, Sport Class (Not Quite Dead Yet Division) 40-49, I was out front, in the lead pack, a couple miles into it. The guy in front of me crashes, myself and like 4 others (Collateral Damage) go down and get a mouth full of mud. :mad:

Anyhow, pick myself up, start riding, thought about quitting, “funking not taking a DNF”. 30 minutes later, riding the fire road, about ½ to ¾ the way back, bike is not shifting, don’t give a crap, “just finish it out” … this other rider in my class….. Comes up from behind and bashes into my side WTF? (rude) and gives me a dirty look. Apparently there’s a big difference :confused: between comings in 22nd or 23rd place (about); this I didn’t know…

Anyhow, I’m pissed, I’m hurt, and Numb Rod wants to be an assclown. So... while he’s giving me “dirty “look” number 2, (we’re right next to each other, 3’ apart on the fireroad) I reached down, grabbed my water bottle and pegged him with a fastball right in his Mid Section with that water bottle. I was having a melt down.:mad2:

Then I let him have it = went off “It’s a freaking bicycle race you !@%^. Why don’t you to get in front of me right now you @#%^, etc. etc. etc.

My 15 year old Son has usually is on the receiving end of these verbal assaults, but he’s used to it. But you should have seen the look of fear on that guys face; Oddly enough he dropped back and was not seen again. I’m laughing now, back in April I wanted to dismember him. Stupid Basturd

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
norm may have heard it too since he was either next to me or a little bit in front of me. at least at that point.

No sir, doesn't ring a bell. I was so in the zone thinking, "Yeah baby 33rd place is ALL MINE!"

"Racers passing another racer must yell an appropriate term such as “Passing on your left” or “Track left.” “Get out of my way” is not an appropriate term. A racer being passed must yield at the first reasonable opportunity, but does not need to endanger themselves."

Wow, a lot of people follow neither of these rules.

At the Hopbrook Dam Race this year, Sport Class

Is this part of the root66 series?

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
yeah, well, unfortunately i didn't have much more to offer the LMC after lap 2 as i was officially toasted. heat, dehydration, lack of real training and three pounds of lobster did me in.

but, i can't for the life of me figure out why these people are such lunatics. sport 21 to whatever i can see b/c some of those guys may be trying to make a name for themselves (or is it too late at that point, i dunno) but after that...i mean seriously. do they think trek/volvo is going to swoop down and pluck them outta the 30-39 sport class as a 'diamond in the rough'?? i'm as competitive as they come but unless someone is paying me (which they ain't) i'm not going to waste my energy over some meaningless to everyone on the planet but me and maybe my wife race to edge someone out for 20th place.

Top Bottom