New from Monmouth County

Minotaur

Hey all...

My name is Frank, I live in Tinton Falls near GSP Exit 102. I'm primarily a weight lifter: 5'5" and ~216 lbs.

I started riding a mtb about 12 years ago: a Raleigh M50, no suspension. I rode it on road, knobbies, and all, never did any off road or trails. I rode all over... from Eatontown to Long Branch beach to Rumson, out to Dorbrook Rec. Area, alone and with the Jersey Shore Touring Society bike club. The most I was ever able to comfortably ride was 28-30 miles. I can't do that today! :(

A few years ago I was told by a bike shop that I took the bike to for maintenance that it was too old and expensive to tune up, even if the parts could be obtained. So I was talked into a hybrid. Good bike but it wasn't what I wanted.

Fast forward to this year: I'm in Sports Authority (stop laughing) and saw a Columbia Twin Peaks mtb (stop it! :mad: :D). It's made by Iron Horse, so I was encouraged. It's full suspension, and really a great ride. The price was good for just starting back riding. I've been really loving this bike.

So, I've been road riding it around... 8-15 miles. But lately the trail bug has bitten me. I started with Manasquan Reservoir last week, for a couple of laps. This past Sunday I jumped right into Allaire State Park. I clocked ~8 miles and 1 hour 47 mins. riding. I was drenched, dirty, beat and happy as a pig in... well... you get it.

I've been doing some internet searches for parks and trails info and have gotten a good amount. I'm planning on hitting a different park every week, finding my faves and making a rotation out of them.

So, I'm hoping to learn more about trail riding. Thanks for having me in. :)

SpartaBard

Welcome aboard!

you should definitely check out some of the other Monmouth County parks including Huber Woods, Hartshorne, Clayton, and maybe Shark River. The first 3 definitely. Huber and Clayton are great places to get back into the swing of things.

Minotaur

Thanks... ;)

Yep, that's my goal. But I think Hartshorne is further down the list. I Understand it's a bit challenging. :scared:

I think Shark River is on the agenda for this weekend.

SpartaBard

Thanks... ;)

Yep, that's my goal. But I think Hartshorne is further down the list. I Understand it's a bit challenging. :scared:

I think Shark River is on the agenda for this weekend.

Well definitely check out Clayton and Huber early on too. Both are great for beginners. I have never been to Shark River, but it seems like a good starting point as well.

6-mile in Middlesex may also be a good future option before Hartshorne.

Minotaur

Well definitely check out Clayton and Huber early on too. Both are great for beginners. I have never been to Shark River, but it seems like a good starting point as well.

6-mile in Middlesex may also be a good future option before Hartshorne.

Excellent... thanks for the advice. See, that's why I'm glad I fell in with you folks. :D I was looking for a really local group to communicate with. I work in Middlesex (Monroe) and used to work in Cranbury and Trenton, so I know my way around a bit.

P

pdm362

Eatontown

I work in Eatontown and ride Hartshorne and Allaire almost everyday. If you need someone to show you around and give you some pointers I'll be more then happy to.

Paul

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
both you and i are former steakheads. well, i'm more former. up until about oh, a year and a half ago i was training for "natural" powerlifing meets. i was 5'10" (ok, 5'9" & 3/4) and 250 at my "peak". i had 36" waist. i was just huge. and sweaty.

i started riding to cross train and got hooked. i rode more but still got to the gym three days a week. i made the full 'transition' this past jan (have not been to the gym since) and have lost over 40 lbs. i'm under 200 for the first time in at least ten years. ok, i'm going to shut up now. i know so little about biking that when someone mentions weights...

anyway, welcome to the nuthouse. :D

Last edited:

Minotaur

Thanks for the welcome.

I was getting more into power... I'll never have the physique of a bodybuilder nor do I want one... but I kept getting hurt doing the power stuff. My sports chiro said "Sure, you can put my daughter through college". :rolleyes: So I backed off the power stuff and am now just striving for athletics and fitness. I have about 20 lbs to lose and I'll be (relatively) happy.

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
Hey

Definitely hit Hartshorne once you feel comfortable enough on the bike for the challenge. IMHO, its one of the funnest (most fun?) places to ride - super fast and flowy.

I ride with a guy who's an ex-power lifter. Me? I'm weak like a newborn kitten.

Minotaur

Great, thanks for the tip. I've been hearing about Hartshorne for years.

You know, I wonder how many powerlifters/strongmen are into mtb: I must do a Google search. :D It seems the mtb would be more suited to the big beefy guys than a... than a... a... roadie (leaves a nasty taste in the mouth :puke: ). J/k... I may get one next year.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nah, the guys who win the off-road races look the same as the guys who win the road races, more often than not.

Minotaur

Hmm... :hmmm: Interesting. I'm going to start following the riding and racing more closely now. Now that I've been bitten by the bug. :D

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is Harlan Price, who won the pro race this weekend. Not exactly beefy:

DSC_5822.jpg

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah I could tell you all about that.

x2. one thing that i do find to be a big advantage is riding the single speed. i can crank out a lot of power on hills. well, until i bonk, fall, cut myself up and call it a day. many have witnessed that.

Frank

Sasquatch
Welcome Frank with the Iron Horse.....hey wait, that's me too. And I work in Eatontown, and I ride Allaire......we should be best buddys.:rofl:
In the imortal words of Bruce Willis.."welcome to the party pal"
see ya in the trails

Top Bottom