The Tourne Gets Sanitized

If the trail was originally cut to go over the rock ledge then hikers and novices would have widened the trail to go around it. The end result of this is going to be a non technical boring trail. Which may be right for a small over populated NJ trail. I'm just glad this doesn't happen at the more epic trails.

There is a point in there somewhere, i think.

ytc, i'm glad you kept your head on this b/c it's very clear that bruce is/was flat out attacking you.

the true problem lies within the park, plain and simple, and that is where bruce should REALLY be pointing fingers. if these obstacles were illegal from the beginning, the park should have removed them immediately. i grew up in booton township and before i moved rode the tourne pretty regularly. while my memory is completely failing me, i know that at least some of those obstacles were there when i rode in high school. maybe not all, but some. the point is, again, this entire situation is the fault of the park. had they been consistent over the years with their management of the trails there would be no outcry now.

furthermore, bruce, i find it VERY hard to believe that since you started riding in 1983 you never once tried to clear either of the two now gone log rollers on the red trail or rode the rock ledge. if you had infact "gone around" the logs, you too are part of the "problem" since technically those bypasses were off the trail. so next time you decide you want to lambast a member, please step off you hypocrital soap box and think about your actions.

i look forward to your response bruce, and hopefully you can engage a homegrown boonton township community member with at least a little more respect that you were able to give ytc.

I've been reading this thread for a few reasons.
-I ride Tourne a bit (and feel bad that I haven't been able to Join Ryan at the TMs but I'll be there buddy!), I've seen the stunts and things that are being discussed and this thread told me what had happened to them.

-I learned some of the potential reasons for the removal, and the best way to put forward ideas for future trails.

-I learned that sitting at home and crossing my fingers was not going to work.

It was initially educational but I think it has sunk to a bit of a deeper level.

Cutting through the backwards-and-forwards rants I've picked out that YTC is planning to go to Tourne TM and is keen to learn more about what can and can't be done, and how he can potentially work with those in charge to develop more interesting trails in parks that allow it (maybe at Tourne, maybe not). Nevertheless he understands the most responsible way forward.

Wouldn't that be mission accomplished and everything else just getting personal. Without looking to point fingers, aportion blame, call names or anything else, shouldn't this thread now be locked?

Norm, this is not directed at you, however, this has been the topic of many pms and discussions recently.

I would venture to say that between the private land owners, local municipalities, counties and the state, there are as many sets of rules and regulations that need to be followed in order to build and maintain trails, as there are trails we have to ride on. Top that off with strategic alliances, such as the Morris County Adopt-a-Trail Program and the Morris Trail Partnership, it is not easy to convey why something is acceptable in Allamuchy, is not in a place like Hartshorne.

JORBA is an organization run by volunteers. This means that between families, work and life, they are working to ensure that the trails we ride on stay open and are sustainable. This is no easy task in such a complicated playing field of bureaucracies that needs to be dealt with on a regular basis.

Mergs, in all of his free time, said that he would put together an explanation of some of these advocacy issues. In the meantime, get involved and pay your membership dues (if you can). The more you put into this, the more informed you will be. The more informed you are, the stronger our voice will be.

Hallelujah. Holy Shit! Where's the Tylenol...

Steve,

Thanks for the reply. I don't think it's hard to understand why different parks have different rules. Do all towns have the same laws? States? Countries? Surely not. Same goes for parks, to be sure.

I'm a little concerned with this quote though:

"The trick is make the "Parents" happy. Showing "maturity" and giving a "better face" to mountain bikers."

This kinda sends the message that we're here primarily to pull the wool over the eyes of those "non-believers" who rain on our parade. Are we really playing a "trick" here?

If you're into cause/effect it's easy to correlate this 2 step process that just happened in our back yard: Trail work at Tourne followed shortly after by the destruction of all obstacles. It would seem that we didn't make anyone happy enough before moving forward.

Steve,

Thanks for the reply. I don't think it's hard to understand why different parks have different rules. Do all towns have the same laws? States? Countries? Surely not. Same goes for parks, to be sure.

I'm a little concerned with this quote though:

This kinda sends the message that we're here primarily to pull the wool over the eyes of those "non-believers" who rain on our parade. Are we really playing a "trick" here?

If you're into cause/effect it's easy to correlate this 2 step process that just happened in our back yard: Trail work at Tourne followed shortly after by the destruction of all obstacles. It would seem that we didn't make anyone happy enough before moving forward.

Yes and No, we are not trying to "play a "trick" ", on those not in the ring, but we are playing by their rules.. Why? because they have had the field for much longer and control who plays and who get's benched. You can try to force your way in, but the bottom line with Tourne is: It's a small park, built with the intention of locals enjoying NATURE! Tournes personality is simple and serene. I mean; come on.. they build a fenced in wild flower trail (that has since been neglected).

So for all that refuse to heed warnings "Build Stunts, and Bikers get Kicked Out". Don't build in the most traveled trails, and a few branches in front of a down tree ON THE TRAIL dose not count as a stunt.

Last edited:
Yes and No, we are not trying to "play a "trick" ", on those not in the ring, but we are playing by their rules.. Why? because they have had the field for much longer and control who plays and who get's benched. You can try to force your way in, but the bottom line with Tourne is: It's a small park, built with the intention of locals enjoying NATURE! Tournes personality is simple and serene. I mean; come on.. they build a fenced in wild flower trail (that has since been neglected).

So for all that refuse to heed warnings "Build Stunts, and Bikers get Kicked Out". Do your thing far away from the popular trails. or get a SS Rigged.

That's cool Ry. I think we've always been playing by their rules, so to speak. There are more non-bikers than bikers and people who neither bike nor hike will likely align themselves with hikers. So no matter what, the bikers are, and will always be, outnumbered. I think you make a good point with the idea that we have to show people we're not morons on wheels. Thanks for helping the cause in that regard.

With the majority of users being hikers at the Tourne it also dos'nt hurt to adopt the "just be nice" approach when riding there. I'd love to have the place to myself to just hammer away at my own speed, but I don"t. So when I encounter hikers I make it a point to slow down, give them plenty of room, let them know if I'm comming up from behind, smile, say hi, pet the dog, etc. Just basically try to be nice and make their encounter with a mountain biker a positive one, noy one where they're going to be telling anyone "yeah, one of those jerky mountain bikers nearly ran over me and Fluffy at the Tourne yesterday". That person might be, or be connected to, someone who has influence over what happens at the park. Make friends, not enemies.

With the majority of users being hikers at the Tourne it also dos'nt hurt to adopt the "just be nice" approach when riding there. I'd love to have the place to myself to just hammer away at my own speed, but I don"t. So when I encounter hikers I make it a point to slow down, give them plenty of room, let them know if I'm comming up from behind, smile, say hi, pet the dog, etc. Just basically try to be nice and make their encounter with a mountain biker a positive one, noy one where they're going to be telling anyone "yeah, one of those jerky mountain bikers nearly ran over me and Fluffy at the Tourne yesterday". That person might be, or be connected to, someone who has influence over what happens at the park. Make friends, not enemies.

I agree & use this attitude at all parks. Sometimes they don't say anything back but at least I know I tried.

We need a "ride and meet"

Sorry, have been off the airwaves of late. I didn't see any PM's since my last post, but have since caught up on this thread. Several valid points exist on both sides of the debate, but as I mentioned in my earlier post there are longer term aspects at stake - in Tourne and elsewhere (in-county and ex-county), which are best discussed in a forum more conducive to collaboration, such as in person - preferably on common ground (e.g. our bikes!):D I hope to connect with Jeff, Ryan and a few others in the next coupla days to discuss some next steps, but I'm hoping - even if just for the sake of getting to know each other better and work toward a constructive/collaborative end-state - we get the chance to talk this all through at Tourne over the muted "rattle and hum" of chains and tires.;)

Sorry, have been off the airwaves of late. I didn't see any PM's since my last post, but have since caught up on this thread. Several valid points exist on both sides of the debate, but as I mentioned in my earlier post there are longer term aspects at stake - in Tourne and elsewhere (in-county and ex-county), which are best discussed in a forum more conducive to collaboration, such as in person - preferably on common ground (e.g. our bikes!):D I hope to connect with Jeff, Ryan and a few others in the next coupla days to discuss some next steps, but I'm hoping - even if just for the sake of getting to know each other better and work toward a constructive/collaborative end-state - we get the chance to talk this all through at Tourne over the muted "rattle and hum" of chains and tires.;)

Lets get something going this weekend for those not attending Muchy.. I may have 1/2 family responsibility's so Muchy may be out of my reach.. but a meet and greet Tourne ride could work. We can show the proposed Trail building and discuss the Stunt Impact of the park. Say 8:30 Am Saturday Lower Parking lot..

P.S. I will give a tour of the park to any newbies.. show the (legal) private stash.

Last edited:
Lets get something going this weekend for those not attending Muchy.. I may have 1/2 family responsibility's so Muchy may be out of my reach.. but a meet and greet Tourne ride could work. We can show the proposed Trail building and discuss the Stunt Impact of the park. Say 9:00 Am Lower Parking lot..

P.S. I will give a tour of the park to any newbies.. show the (legal) private stash.

Is this for Saturday or Sunday?

Saturday 9-8-07 at 8:30 am Lower lot of Tourne. We will have Greg M. there (icebiker) to address questions about what's happening. I will be posting a more formal invite today.

Saturday, 9/8, Meet and Ride!

Riders,

Ryan and I will be available at the Tourne lower lot at 8:30am this Saturday to meet with you and discuss the developments at the Tourne. We feel it's important to begin getting to know each other, engaging in dialogue, and discussing potential solutions/approaches. As indicated in my posts, there are some near-tearm and longer-term implications at stake too, which I would like to share. I would also like to hear your perspectives.

We realize this is short notice, but whomever can make it, please stop by. Ryan will be leading a ride after our discussion, so bring your bike! Jeff Mergler (JORBA ED) wanted to make it too, but has an IMBA commitment elsewhere in the state. For those that can't make it, we can always hold a follow up discussion later in the month too. Hope to see you there!

Greg

PS: I am an early bird, so will likely be riding the park earlier than 8:30, though the timewill depend on when I get outta bed;) . Look for me on the green Voodoo 29'er and feel free to join me.

Not trying to start a rant back up again, I just wanted to post a warning to anyone riding at the tourne.
Someone (park or hippy) has again removed the log rollers at the bottom of everyones favorite rock "drop off". Yesterday I almost had a devastational crash but managed to stick the landing. I guess that's why you should always look before you leap. So just keep your heads up when riding there, people are going to continue to be assholes and remove stuff.

RANT.jpg

:D

Back
Top Bottom