what bike should i get?

pinkshirtphotos

one will be a haro mary ss no matter what!

the other bike will be a fun am bike

iron horse mark 3
transition covert
giant reign

anyone have another suggestion? im looking to spend between 2000 and 2700 bux. if i get a mark 3 it will be used.

ArmyOfNone

Cannondale. You can pick up a damn sweet Rush or Scalpel. The scalpel is not an AM but it will have move travel for '08. The new Rush's and damn sexy. Definately go Cannondale.

pinkshirtphotos

Cannondale. You can pick up a damn sweet Rush or Scalpel. The scalpel is not an AM but it will have move travel for '08. The new Rush's and damn sexy. Definately go Cannondale.

not really a fan of them. the only cannondale i would buy is from my friend who is on the cut team. a prophet mx

pinkshirtphotos

ive done parking lot tests on the iron horse mark3, and coming off the sunday i know the linkage is pretty good. the transition seemed like a decent canidate because of the company behind it. i haven't tested the reign but my buddy does a lot of stuff on his so i know that it holds up. i really dont know whats up with xc or am riding because i have only really been into dh.

pinkshirtphotos

they seem a tad overpriced

once you commit to the lefty you committing to one hub and to upgrade your fork you need a different hub

im not into racing or fast rides and they really dont have a decent am bike.

xc62701

I'm into XC hardtails and I just saw the new 08 Fisher Superfly....OMG! That thing is hot. 29'er and superlight. I might just have to get one.

ArmyOfNone

once you commit to the lefty you committing to one hub and to upgrade your fork you need a different hub

im not into racing or fast rides and they really dont have a decent am bike.

Never ridden the prophet but the rush is a solid am machine. bbbuuttt to each his own.

ytc100

I am not a big fan of Cannondales either, I like a fork I can work on myself. Beautiful frames though, if that matters.
Out of the choices you listed I would go Reign although that is a big bike for xc. It might be suitable for really aggressive all mountain. You might want to look at the Giant Trance X. 5" travel aggressive xc bike.
I have no experience with Iron Horse.

anrothar

entirely thrilled

i concur with all of the above. while the difference may be where they are made, you simply get more bike for the money from most of the other major brands. and proprietary components are a bit of a pain sometimes. and i would add to it the whole getting the headshock/lefty rebuilt every year if you ride in rocky areas.

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
one will be a haro mary ss no matter what!

the other bike will be a fun am bike

iron horse mark 3
transition covert
giant reign

anyone have another suggestion? im looking to spend between 2000 and 2700 bux. if i get a mark 3 it will be used.

Check out the new Giant Trance X -- I have a regular 4 inch travel Trance and I love it. The Trance X is a 5 inch travel bike, which puts it as a much lighter alternative to the Giant Reign. In fact, this year's Trance and Trance X is 1/2 pound lighter than the 2007 models.

Glancing Aft

I'm fully in the C-Dale camp on this one as well. The rush has been an amazing bike to me for the past two years. Also if you take a look at next year's prophets, I don't believe any of them will be coming with a lefty.

Of the bikes you listed I'd go with the giant or the iron whore.

Shaggz

A strong 7
i left the c-dale camp for the reasons mentioned above, always felt constrained by the proprietary components. i have a giant trance and love it. i have heard nothing but great stuff about the reign, no experience with norco or IH. all that being said, i miss the lefty...

you are in vernon, so i suggest you check out the giants (and haros) at cycleworks in byram. they carry haros, too. tell them the guys from mtbnj sent you.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
IMO most bikes are more bike than most people can truly handle. Just make sure it's not too heavy and it's not too high-end and you should be fine. Test drive a bunch, try out friend's bikes if possible.

pinkshirtphotos

you are in vernon, so i suggest you check out the giants (and haros) at cycleworks in byram. they carry haros, too. tell them the guys from mtbnj sent you.

no thanks, ill send myself to cycle works and say pinkshirtphotos sent me :rofl: i know some guys over there. ill be getting a haro mary ss from them soon.

throw in the scott ransom i might be able to get a used demo. trance x is a lot more then i want to spend, and im no weight weenie im coming off a 41lb dh bike so everything is light to me.

D

DANSPANK

I have a Specialized Stumpjumper and love it. 26lbs, 4.5inches of travel, brain shock that firms-up when climbing. It's knocked minutes off various trail lap times from my old bike.

But you should also try a 29er. They are a lot of fun. I borrowed a CDale 29er and it was really quick. Quicker than my Stumpy. Consequently I have a 29er in the works. Not a CDale as I'm not a hardtail fan but it's going to be a fun ride - just waiting on the wheels...

Within your price range are a lot of nice bikes both big and bigger wheeled. Getting one from a bike shop will ensure a better fit and follow-up servicing etc. There'd be nothing worse than spending $2500 on a second hand bike that doesn't fit exactly and you have to pay for the first few services yourself...

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
like XTC said: The reign is a big bike with long legs. For some of the tight stuff around NJ you might find the steering to be a little slow. Trance all the way! Although, it you want to hit up Diablo and hit some big stuff, go for the Reign.

Top Bottom