Crank Suggestions

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I am looking to upgrade my cranks in the near future. I currently run a 2x9 setup with Race Face Ride XC cranks that came stock on my Trance. Any suggestions on what cranks? I ride aggresive xc and never really hit anything over a 2' drop.

Shaggz

A strong 7
which trance do you have? i have the same setup (2x9 with RF rock ring) on an '06 T2 i picked up from cycleworks. There are several other Trance owners on this board, including YTC100, who recently swapped out his crankset (i'll let him chime in on the particulars).

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
The first question is, why are you upgrading your cranks?

Yep, why? Weight? If so, the new Truvativ Noirs are amongst the lightest. And I saw Performance doing a closeout deal on '06 XTRs. I ran XC Evolves on my Trance and brought them over to my Azure and they still work great. Not the lightest but I'm not dropping $400 to save 150 grams.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Really just upgrading for the hell of it. I have an '05 Trance 3 but I upgraded everything but the cranks. I also was to try the outboard BB if they are worth it. I currently have an ISIS FSA Plat and it is good. Always up for trying some new stuff....

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's hard to recommend anything based on that. The best I can say is to figure out what the top rated cranks are on MTBR and find the price point you're comfortable with.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Any thoughts on outboard BB's then?

Personally no - internal, external, I've never had trouble with any BB I've used. A lot of people go through the cycle and just say F it and go with an XT.

ytc100

My favorite cranks are FSA. I have had the best luck with them. I have had mixed results with outboard bearings, they need to be re-lubed if you ride in a lot of wet conditions although it's not a standard procedure as you have to very carefully pop the seals off. They do provide for a larger diameter crank spindle which makes for a stiffer crankset from what I hear.

I have an older version of these:
http://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.aspx?layout=product&taxid=52&pid=218

J-Dro

Personally no - internal, external, I've never had trouble with any BB I've used. A lot of people go through the cycle and just say F it and go with an XT.

I'm still using an old school square taper XT bottom bracket. I'm not the biggest Shimano supporter out there but their BB's are pretty much bullet proof.

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
Any thoughts on outboard BB's then?

I have gone through 4 pairs of those damn things. The Raceface ones froze up on my Trance twice -- I bought the downhill version and they froze up, too -- then I changed to Shimano, and I had to replace them in the spring.

I never had any problem with the old square tapers years ago, yet these outboards have been nothing but problems for me.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I have not had problems with my ISIS but i have not been riding it all that long. I replaced one after a year and half. I was looking for ISIS arms, but with the current outboard BB trend, they are almost impossible to find. I think Cranks Brothers have the Colbalt cranks but they are 300 and I don't think I want to spend that and they are strictly xc race.

Maurice

If they're working no reason to replace them, keep your money for new tires or better brakes.

I've gone through many ISIS BB, and the outboard bearing ones aren't a great investment either. I'd gladly go back to square taper but all the development now is into proprietary designs... Ceramic bearings are next on my list for my race cranks (outboard), when I get a chance. Those things are $$$. Hopefully they'll be more durable.

Old-style XT (octalink??) isn't any better, they last approximately 5 months on average. Heck, I've destroyed a brand new one in one race a couple years back...

ArmyOfNone

I have only toyed w/ them on others bikes for bit but the new XT's are nice, light and stiff. They even snuck in some carbon fiber for 08

Top Bottom