Recommend a Gripshift.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I'm looking to get a gripshift for my Jamis Komodo. I'm tired of riding with a "suicide grip" all the time to shift my bike. I figured this would be the next best bet.

What would you recomend? I'm not anything more than an entry level/intermediate rider, so I'm not looking to spend a fortune.

Thanks.:)

Panhead

I don't know what you mean by Suicide grip, but if you're looking for new shifters I would switch to trigger shifters. You'll have better control going up and down hills and they're just better IMO

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I'll try to explain this the best way I can, but I ride like I'm giving a thumbs up. It puts a lot of stress on my thumb and I'm curious if working with a grip shift would be better.

Panhead

Do you have a grip or trigger now? If you have triggers, try rolling the shifter down a little. My old Fisher had a grip shifter on it and it seemed to shift when I really didn't want it to. I don't know where you ride or how, but up north we have lots of rocks and stuff, so I like to know unless I want to shift I'm not going to.

walter

Fourth Party
I'll try to explain this the best way I can, but I ride like I'm giving a thumbs up. It puts a lot of stress on my thumb and I'm curious if working with a grip shift would be better.

Ergon grips, trigger shifters

anrothar

entirely thrilled
pearl, are you riding with your thumb on the shifter the whole time? it's not really necessary. they're so close to your hand that you can keep a full grip on the bars and only move your thumb/finger over when necessary. grip shift works fine as well though, but does take a little bit to get used to not accidentally shifting. 6 of 1, half dozen of another. the only drawback free shifting system is singlespeed. :D

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
its kind of hard to explain i guess. i ride with my left hand in full grip, and my right hand with four fingers around the bar, and my thumb resting on the bar. i dont know why i do it but i dont feel comfortable not riding like this.

weird hands i have :D

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ergons = no more hand annoyance for me. They're one of those things I totally never notice, which is a good thing when you're on a bicycle for 3+ hours.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
ok, i have an idea: can you post a link or a picture of what your shifter looks like? if it's what i think it is, then you just need the newer style shifter which will get even your "odd" thumb off the bar.

Top Bottom