Kids bikes

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
So my kid will be 3yrs old in a couple of weeks. He has one of those kid plastic Fisher Price tricycle which he pedals really good. My question is, should I buy him a better tricycle or is he ready for a bicycle? :hmmm:
I need some tips from other fellow parents.

Thanks a lot.

walter

Fourth Party
So my kid will be 3yrs old in a couple of weeks. He has one of those kid plastic Fisher Price tricycle which he pedals really good. My question is, should I buy him a better tricycle or is he ready for a bicycle? :hmmm:
I need some tips from other fellow parents.

Thanks a lot.

My daughter is going to be 4 in the beginning of Sept. I bought her a Giant tricycle for her first birthday that she has been pedaling around on since. For this birthday I am going to get her a bigger bike.

My vote, if he can pedal the tricycle well enough, find him a 2 wheeler. The earlier he starts the better.

Shaggz

A strong 7
meghan did a lot of research on this, and we wound up getting one of those bikes with out pedals and cranks for colin. supposedly, children who learn on them skip training wheels all together because they are able to learn balance, without being distracted by pedaling.

that being said, colin started on that, but saw one of his neighborhood friends pedal with training wheels, and would not use it again. i have seen some amazing photos and video of kids on these things, and wish we started him sooner.

he is doing really well on the bike, and one of the things that helped, imho, was the scooter board he got for christmas. it improved his balance and coordination at the sacrifice of my hardwood floors.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
meghan did a lot of research on this, and we wound up getting one of those bikes with out pedals and cranks for colin. supposedly, children who learn on them skip training wheels all together because they are able to learn balance, without being distracted by pedaling.

that being said, colin started on that, but saw one of his neighborhood friends pedal with training wheels, and would not use it again. i have seen some amazing photos and video of kids on these things, and wish we started him sooner.

he is doing really well on the bike, and one of the things that helped, imho, was the scooter board he got for christmas. it improved his balance and coordination at the sacrifice of my hardwood floors.

i got these as well. balance is the hardest thing to teach them so when they get these, pedals are cake. my smurf children were too small for them a few months ago but i'll be trying again soon. rigid 29ers are next.

ArmyOfNone

I dont have kids...i am puzzled by this thing. Call me dumb.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
there are plenty of kids who learned without training wheels on bikes with pedals as well though.

ArmyOfNone

My earliest memories riding a bike were the first time i had the training wheels off. Can anyone take a guess as to what happened?

G

gadgetaddict

can you please post a link to a bike like that?

TIA,
g.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
awesome!!:D :D
2007-07-07_DSC_1370.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions!

bikeboy566

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
I have a 4yr old and had him on a 12'' speciaized hot rock at 3yrs old. If you want i have his old 12'' just layin around if you want to try you child on it.My son is riding a 16'' haro now.

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
we started our kids on 2 wheelers w/ training wheels when they turned 2. this spring we bought this thing called the E Z Bar, best $30 we ever spent....we were able to teach our 3yr old and our 5yr old how to balance and ride without using training wheels within an hour of using it. we bought it at cyclecraft, not sure if other bike shops sell it. it blew us away how quickly they learned to ride their bikes using this thing!

Top Bottom