Routeslip.com - Problems?

Hi,

I've been using Routeslip for a few days now to trace my usual running and riding routes and plan new routes to try. I think it's great; I do not have to purchase a GPS now to get distance and elevation for my rides. Wonderful tool.

Except for one thing: It Never Flippin' Works! The past few times I tried to map any route longer than 20 miles, IE shuts down on me. The points take a very, very long time to load and I have to coddle it when using the pan and zoom features. And forget about using the Delete Last Point feature, that causes even more problems.

Saving routes does not seem to work, I've had luck saving shorter routes but any longer routes do not get saved and they cause my entire system to stall, requiring me to restart. Also, I cannot get any of my saved routes to load or display, whether I access them from My Routes or from an external site.

I have eleven routes, one is a dupe I can neither delete nor edit, but I must have planned 20 or so that just float away into the ether somewhere. What am I doing wrong?

Has anyone else experienced these problems, and is there anything to be done about it?

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Well my answer is going to be short and sweet. I'm good like that.

Yes other people have experienced this: me.

What have I done? I use bikeroutetoaster.com. You get all the same features, and it can autoroute for you so you don't need to click every little point. If you create a login now you can save routes. Make sure you use the green flags to mark the route so when you click the "get route" it will do what you want. The newest version also allows you to edit the middle of the route. It's a little more powerful and thus a little more complex, so do a trail run with something you don't care if you lose and then go from there.

Ok, not so short but I hope it's sweet. Routeslip just shit the bed way too often for me to keep using that.

NJ Jess

Cool answer.

Hey Norm, good answer. There is always a better web site in the making. It was great to meet you at LM. Sorry couldn't hang out,..I was tired. 19 T on the SS was a bit to steep for 3 laps. I hope to ride with you some time when I get back from the Nationals,......keep spinning.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hey nice meeting you too. Next time, that 19 is a beefy gear for that race.

Well my answer is going to be short and sweet. I'm good like that.

Yes other people have experienced this: me.

What have I done? I use bikeroutetoaster.com. You get all the same features, and it can autoroute for you so you don't need to click every little point. If you create a login now you can save routes. Make sure you use the green flags to mark the route so when you click the "get route" it will do what you want. The newest version also allows you to edit the middle of the route. It's a little more powerful and thus a little more complex, so do a trail run with something you don't care if you lose and then go from there.

Ok, not so short but I hope it's sweet. Routeslip just shit the bed way too often for me to keep using that.

Thanks, I will try the new site. The mid-route editing feature is something I will really dig, I tend to ride the same areas over and over, and add extensions or expand on the existing route. That will save time reinventing the wheel each time I want to start from home and do a modified route.

Mk1Racer

Glad to know it's not just me. Norm, I'll try that other site. Routeslip is cool, but it definitely has issues.

/edit/ Just tried bikeroutetoaster.com and I honestly don't understand how you can even use this thing. I've tried creating simple routes w/ the auto-routing feature and it flat out doesn't work. Sits there and says it's retrieving the route info, but that's all it does. Never comes back (after 15 min.), never lays out a route, never does anything. Am I missing something here?

Last edited:
Glad to know it's not just me. Norm, I'll try that other site. Routeslip is cool, but it definitely has issues.

/edit/ Just tried bikeroutetoaster.com and I honestly don't understand how you can even use this thing. I've tried creating simple routes w/ the auto-routing feature and it flat out doesn't work. Sits there and says it's retrieving the route info, but that's all it does. Never comes back (after 15 min.), never lays out a route, never does anything. Am I missing something here?

Tried bikeroutetoaster.com and very, very pleased with the results. I also use Firefox, which they recommend for faster loading.

For the Auto Route, try laying out more points, especially at inflection points on the map. And if you are traveling under/over major highways, or turning onto or off of one, turn off Auto-Route and use Track Points for the few feet you need to get by the highway. Auto-Route was putting me on cloverleafs and by-pass routes, so I just turned it off mid-route for the highways, then turned it back on to trace the rest of the road. This helped AR move faster.

Is there anyway to select and delete multiple points at once? I can only select one waypoint at a time to delete from an established route, using CTRL or SHIFT to select more than one does not work. Are there other function keys that will do this?

ArmyOfNone

I was playing with bikeroutetoaster last night. A bunch of that stuff was new to me. I kept getting interrupted by stupid alarms which kept me from figuring out what was going on. :getsome:

Mk1Racer

Tried bikeroutetoaster.com and very, very pleased with the results. I also use Firefox, which they recommend for faster loading.

For the Auto Route, try laying out more points, especially at inflection points on the map. And if you are traveling under/over major highways, or turning onto or off of one, turn off Auto-Route and use Track Points for the few feet you need to get by the highway. Auto-Route was putting me on cloverleafs and by-pass routes, so I just turned it off mid-route for the highways, then turned it back on to trace the rest of the road. This helped AR move faster.

Is there anyway to select and delete multiple points at once? I can only select one waypoint at a time to delete from an established route, using CTRL or SHIFT to select more than one does not work. Are there other function keys that will do this?

I user Firefox as well, and am really surprised at the problems w/ bikeroutetoaster based on what others have said. I don't know if it's how I've got FF configured or what, but I can't get it to auto-route at all. I had a simple, 2-point route that covered < 1/2 mile, and it won't resolve it.

It must be my computers, because now I am having issues with BRT as well.

I saved a few routes today and saw them populate in the Course list. When I tried to load the routes, nothing. "Error on page" was the message I received. I reloaded the page and then, nothing. No course list, no maps, no stats. The tabs were there but the pages were blank.

I tried opening the pages in Firefox and IE, and experienced the same problem with each browser. What gives? Am I being punished by the divine for being too cheap (or broke, however you want to look at it) to buy a GPS?

S

Stan LeCupp

I just created a new route on Route slip with out a problem. I'm using Firefox too. I know some people are having problems but it's always worked well for me. I love this site. I use NJbikemap.com to scan for the most scenic least busy roads. Then plot it out on routeslip to get an idea of mileage/elevation gain.

The site has been hacked a few times according to the site administrators blog. I did log in one time and was signed in with another's user name.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the right tab there's a login page somewhere.

I am super specific, I know.

From the home page, click "Create Route" and it takes you to the world map. In the upper LH corner, click on the "Courses" tab. You will be given the option to create a user account (super simple) and log in when you return to view your stored courses (assuming they appear :mad: ).

M

mapmyfitness

MapMyRide.com

MapMyRide.com (http://www.mapmyride.com) offers the same basic functionality as BikeRouteToaster.com and RouteSlip.com but takes it to the next level -- You can use auto-routing (Follow Roads) which generates automated cue-sheets. You can manually create cue-sheets (click on a marker or point). You can even keep track of distances, calories, and more by combining the routes in your training / cycling log!

Check it out and drop me a note -- we're always trying to improve the site so I welcome all your feedback / suggestions / criticisms / etc.

-Kevin
Co-Founder, MapMyRide.com

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
MapMyRide.com (http://www.mapmyride.com) offers the same basic functionality as BikeRouteToaster.com and RouteSlip.com but takes it to the next level -- You can use auto-routing (Follow Roads) which generates automated cue-sheets. You can manually create cue-sheets (click on a marker or point). You can even keep track of distances, calories, and more by combining the routes in your training / cycling log!

Check it out and drop me a note -- we're always trying to improve the site so I welcome all your feedback / suggestions / criticisms / etc.

-Kevin
Co-Founder, MapMyRide.com

I'll give you 2 suggestions. First, if you go on random blogs and comment that people should check out your site, you should sign your name as something other than Anonymous. Second, you should let people create a route and at the end, let them download it as opposed to making them registering and canning the route. I basically tossed the site because I spent the time mapping a route then at the end it said I had to register.

ytc100

I'll give you 2 suggestions. First, if you go on random blogs and comment that people should check out your site, you should sign your name as something other than Anonymous. Second, you should let people create a route and at the end, let them download it as opposed to making them registering and canning the route. I basically tossed the site because I spent the time mapping a route then at the end it said I had to register.

Just a little confused as to what you're referring to regarding the anonymous posting. Can you clarify?

Just tried the site; it seems clunky and slow like all of the others I have tried although I like the way the route automagically follows the road as you click down points. Didn't have the patience to even finish a 35 mile loop though as things just seemed to bog down the more I clicked.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just a little confused as to what you're referring to regarding the anonymous posting. Can you clarify?

Just tried the site; it seems clunky and slow like all of the others I have tried although I like the way the route automagically follows the road as you click down points. Didn't have the patience to even finish a 35 mile loop though as things just seemed to bog down the more I clicked.

I suppose I was a bit vague there. I'm referring to my personal blog (which is big, and heavy, and wood). Maybe 2 months ago an Anonymous comment popped up saying to try mapmyride. So I tried it and this my comment above.

Sorry for the confusion.

Top Bottom