Going back to V brakes for new build

M

Michael

I bought a Salsa a la Carte steel hardtail frame last week and I'm thinking about going back to V brakes. My current bike has Hayes MX2 mechanical discs. They are actually pretty good. They have been trouble free, but just don't have the "bite" of V's. Had a set of Hayes hydraulic's way back in 2000 and they sucked bad. Been reading up, and it looks like people still have problems with hydraulics. Leaking, pad rub, bleeding, ect. Was looking hard at the Avid Juicy 7's. If I went with V brakes it would save me money. Not to mention they are lighter. I can use my almost new XT shifter/brake levers and I've had a set of XT V's collecting dust for a few years. And I can get a good deal on a wheelset with non disc Chris King hubs. Can anyone give me a reason to keep considering discs?

M

Michael

Yes, do you ever ride when its wet out? Disc brakes win hands down.

I've always used red Ritchey pads with v brakes. They stop great when it's wet. And dry. I'm sure a good set of discs would stop even better, just not sure if it's worth all the hassle of problems that people have with them.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
All the reasons you list are great in theory, but I find that disc brakes are simply better as an overall piece of equipment. I run Avid Juicy 5s on my Stumpjumper, fwiw.

Basically what it comes down to is that I can stop much better with less effort on the brake levers. With V brakes you *can* stop in the rain and you *can* have them just set up soooooo perfectly that you don't have to squeeze so hard it hurts your hands. But it's not easy. Basically I beat the crap out of my bike and the rims are always tweaked this way and that, so keeping V brakes tight on the rim would be really tough for me.

I guess it depends on your riding style. If you're not absolutely bombing and/or not riding so long hand fatigue isn't a factor, then there's probably not as much of a reason. I don't think there's really one answer though.

ytc100

You will have to rebuild your wheels when the pads on your v-brakes wear them down eventually. Edit: And as Norm stated you need to keep your wheel very true - can be annoying depending on how good a wheel you have and how you ride etc...

It's true the Hayes 9 hydros I have can be a pain sometimes and need to be bled/cleaned every so often to keep working optimally. Bleeding can be annoying with the Hayes 9 but I know the Avid system is easy and neat.

My XT V brakes are awesome but also a bit touchy with regards to pad toe in/out to get the front brake quiet. They're also light.

Having bikes with both setups I am hard pressed to say which is actually better at stopping in general but I'd say the hydros are better in wet conditions.

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Having bikes with both setups I am hard pressed to say which is actually better at stopping in general but I'd say the hydros are better in wet conditions.

Interesting. I'm probably going to give my (non disc) hardtail a revamp at some point later this year and would look to possibly buy a good set of V brakes. I'm pretty surprised to read that. Do you ever have an issue with your hands getting tired from the V brakes?

M

Michael

All the reasons you list are great in theory, but I find that disc brakes are simply better as an overall piece of equipment. I run Avid Juicy 5s on my Stumpjumper, fwiw.

Have you had any issues with your Avid's?

ArmyOfNone

You will find something....

I would keep doing your research. I have ridden the magura marta's and loved them, although be it very high end ones im sure the ones in between are just as good.

I have also been on a few rides with xt and xtr hydros...:drooling:

If you were looking at something a bit cheaper you could go with the avid bb7's. Im running them on my ss. Very nice!

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
I have AVID V-Brakes on my SS and AVID mechanical disc brakes on my FS. To me adjusting those AVID mechanical disc brakes is as simple as it can get, and I suck at being a mechanic. I feel the discs work better than the v-brakes on any condition. I think Avid is a good value for the money, you don't need to spend a lot of $$ for a decent set of mechanical disc brakes. I see them on sale all the time on the web.

M

Michael

I think Avid is a good value for the money, you don't need to spend a lot of $$ for a decent set of mechanical disc brakes. I see them on sale all the time on the web.

yeah, that could be another option. I would use the brakes I have on my old bike, but though they work great now you can't adjust them. Maybe Avid BB7's would be a good choice.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
magura hs-33's set up better and the pads last longer than v-brakes. best rim brakes ever made if you ask me. i still run them.

M

Michael

magura hs-33's set up better and the pads last longer than v-brakes. best rim brakes ever made if you ask me. i still run them.

Wow, I had a set of Magura's on my old Kona Sex One back in '95 or '96 when they came out. They were good. Decisions, decisions.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
I had to switch to mech discs for DH when i started cause the V's would explode the tube from heat.I've ridden everything in all the offroad disciplines and nothing feels as good as V's.The Avid BB7s are probably the best discs I've tried though.........

ytc100

Interesting. I'm probably going to give my (non disc) hardtail a revamp at some point later this year and would look to possibly buy a good set of V brakes. I'm pretty surprised to read that. Do you ever have an issue with your hands getting tired from the V brakes?

My original set of deore v's took a lot of work and could get tiring. When I switched to the xt version (mine are 2002 I think) I was really amazed at how much stronger with so much less work the brakes were. I could literally make the seatstays visibly flex just by firmly squeezing the lever with one finger. I ended up installing a brake booster which really made the rear brake strong. They are actually almost too strong sometimes but then again I am a pretty light rider. The only thing I hate about them is the wet sandpaper sound on my rims when it's wet.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My original set of deore v's took a lot of work and could get tiring. When I switched to the xt version (mine are 2002 I think) I was really amazed at how much stronger with so much less work the brakes were. I could literally make the seatstays visibly flex just by firmly squeezing the lever with one finger. I ended up installing a brake booster which really made the rear brake strong. They are actually almost too strong sometimes but then again I am a pretty light rider. The only thing I hate about them is the wet sandpaper sound on my rims when it's wet.

All good to know, thanks. If you don't mind I'm going to have to pick your brain once I get more into that project, which actually may be soon.

walter

Fourth Party
I agree with hardtale70, I think that for the money, the avid discs are an insane value. I have nothing but good things to say about them.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
a few..

.. Can anyone give me a reason to keep considering discs?

-If you bend a rim w/discs you can still stop
-your braking power is the same in the mud w/discs
-you don't get mud jammed in the crosswire/noodle like you will on v's
-the pads last like 200x's longer
-less hand fatigue
-less skidding due to much better modulation
-more bike control when you learn to use the front brake w/discs
-same lever feel months after riding in crap whereas cable driven v's feel bad almost right away from cable drag
-you are not wearing down the rims by dragging rubber pads on them

j

Top Bottom