Crankset

J

joanqs

I need to buy a new crankset. I am currently using an old race face crankset, 172.5 mm (although I could use 170mm). I have not shopped for bike parts in awhile and wondered if anyone has any suggestions? I honestly don't even know where to start and don't use any one bike shop regularly.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
that's a pretty good deal. i honestly don't know enough about the competitors to shimano in the external bearings/hollow axle market. have had bad luck with race face since the change over.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Race Face Evolve

I have been using this for almost 2 years now, and am very pleased with it:

http://www.raceface.com/components/cranks/evolvexc-crank.htm

It has gotten mediocre reviews from the 29'er crowd on this board, but I have no complaints with it. Reasonably light, stiff and easy to work on, and you can get some real good deals from the on-line retailers. I munched the big ring going over a big log roller last year, which was subsequently replaced with a race face bash guard. but that was a case of my poor riding ability, not an issue with the component.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
oh, and yes. you will most likely have to replace the chain and rear cassette if replacing all three front rings.

J

joanqs

well, i brought my bike to the shop today and they are trying to convince me to change this bike into a single speed. umm..scary. if not i will go with the xt components as suggested by anrothar. either way i won't get my bike back until next Thursday. Looks like i will be hitting the surf and/or some road riding. thanks for your help guys.

J

joanqs

The cost to switch my bike to a SS is minimal and on a lot of levels makes sense. The problem with this choice is that it is my only bike. This means that I will end up buying another bike and probably a real expensive fancy dual SS. So what seems like a cheap cool way to repair my bike becomes this very expensive, "I can't believe I just spent that much money thing". I don't know anyone who rides SS solely.

Last edited by a moderator:

J-Dro

The problem with this choice is that it is my only bike. This means that I will end up buying another bike and probably a real expensive fancy dual SS.

Is it just me, or does anyone else fail to see a problem here?:D

anrothar

entirely thrilled
The cost to switch my bike to a SS is minimal and on a lot of levels makes sense. The problem with this choice is that it is my only bike. This means that I will end up buying another bike and probably a real expensive fancy dual SS. So what seems like a cheap cool way to repair my bike becomes this very expensive, "I can't believe I just spent that much money thing". I don't know anyone who rides SS solely.

yeah you do, kind of. you rode with him at kittatiny. he's the one who smelled of petunias. :cool:

ytc100

that's a pretty good deal. i honestly don't know enough about the competitors to shimano in the external bearings/hollow axle market. have had bad luck with race face since the change over.

FSA. IMO a great value for the quality crankset and especially chain rings:

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.aspx?layout=product&taxid=52&pid=218

I've had issues with my Race Face external bearings but my FSA cranks have needed nothing since I got them (except new rings from wear).

ytc100

Water got in there and they got very "gravelly". Cycle Works actually got them warranteed through Race Face. I just re-greased the newer set yesterday as they were getting that feeling/sound again. I guess the FSA bearings have a better seal or bearing quality? Dunno.

J

joanqs

thanks

i just got my bike back today (a long week and a half without it), and have to say that my new crankset is awesome. i love how more efficient this integrated system is, the transfer of power to the pedals is sweet. i am so fast now :getsome: oh yeah, i went with the XT crank.

Top Bottom