Ringwood

Shaggz

A strong 7
So I just googled ringwood/skyline drive, and found out it is about 15 miles from my office in Wayne. I assume it would take me about 30-35 minutes to get there after work.

I only rode there a couple of times about 7 years ago and it is safe to say I don't know the park well, if at all. What would be the best riding option (skyline drive? the race course?) for a post-work ride, and how much time should i set aside? I will probably be going by myself, and do not want to get horribly lost like I did the LAST time I was there.

J-Dro

I also work in Wayne and try to ride Ringwood or Ramapo about once a week after work. I still get lost in Ringwood but I'm slowly learning the place. You should join us next time. Skyline is much easier, especially if you stick to the Cannonball trail on the opposite side of the road as the parking lot. You can always do an "out and back" and easily kill an hour or two. Those are slow miles up in Skyline but fun as hell.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Thanks, Jeff. Is the entrance to Cannonball marked?

Where do you work? My office is right at the intersection of 23/46. Do you have a regular time and day that you meet up? I usually pack up my bike several days a week with the hope of getting a ride in at the Tourne on the way home, but Ringwood seems so much more appealing.

J-Dro

I'm pretty close, my office is on Totowa Road.

The ride varies from week to week depending on weather, trail conditions etc. Check your PMs.

Cannonball trail is very well marked... Red circular markers with a yellow 'C'. If you park at the top of Skyline Drive, the trail entrance is across the road and about a quarter mile north. Theres plenty of loop options if time and daylight allow but you can't get lost if you stick to the main trail.

I've never been to the Tourne. Maybe you can give me a tour sometime. Thats more of a SS park?

Shaggz

A strong 7
Thanks, got your PM. I may actually try to head up there tomorrow :cool:.

The Tourne is in Mountain Lakes and I would say it is SS friendly. We should definitely tr to put ride together there some time.

SpartaBard

what time were you thinking of going? I was planning on doing MD tomorrow, but could be convinced otherwise.

clutch

Cannonball trail is very well marked... Red circular markers with a yellow 'C'. If you park at the top of Skyline Drive, the trail entrance is across the road and about a quarter mile north. ...

The trail conference in conjunction with jorba just cut a new trail from that parking lot to the cannonball trail. Look for three white blazes on a tree on the north end of the parking lot. It's a great option for avoiding the road and it's more direct than the previously available options.

Shaggz

A strong 7
no ringwood tomorrow, i want to save that for when my legs are fresh. i'll probably try next week.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
I like to do a group ride up at Skyline or Ringwood about once a week. I'll probably post up a group ride next week.

I want to make it an every Thu thing, but sometimes I get jacked at work and can't leave the place.

That and I am embarrassed at my slow pace so far this year! :)

Maybe next Thu, weather permitting. Will post if so.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Does anyone have GPS data for Ringwood/Skyline Drive?

If the day goes as planned, I may be doing an out and back along the Cannonball, around 6:45pm, casual pace, probably 1:15.

J-Dro

Does anyone have GPS data for Ringwood/Skyline Drive?

If the day goes as planned, I may be doing an out and back along the Cannonball, around 6:45pm, casual pace, probably 1:15.

Wish I could join you but work is going to keep me here late tonight. Probably riding Ringwood on Thursday if you are interested.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Thanks, Jeff. I think I am doing an early AM ride on Thursday, but will keep that in mind should the ride fall through. Do you have any Garmin info for Ringwood? I think I am going to pick up a 205.

J-Dro

Thanks, Jeff. I think I am doing an early AM ride on Thursday, but will keep that in mind should the ride fall through. Do you have any Garmin info for Ringwood? I think I am going to pick up a 205.

I have this. http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2597347

It is a 10 mile ride starting from Lot C. (We had a bunch of mechanical problems on this ride, so the pace was painfully slow). It doesn't include some of the better singletrack in the park though. We'll have to show you that in person.

You won't need any gps for Cannonball (Skyline). The trail is extra well marked.

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Someone needs to post up a Ringwood super loop of like 30 miles.

What's this "in person" stuff? You guys are actually real human beings? I thought everything was E these days. Steve is my eFriend.

J-Dro

What's this "in person" stuff? You guys are actually real human beings? I thought everything was E these days. Steve is my eFriend.

Some trails are only to be seen in person, passed on by word of mouth, never to be written or mapped. ;)

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
super loop

Someone needs to post up a Ringwood super loop of like 30 miles.

Well, I don't carry a computer or GPS, but I think the "super loop" you're looking for is starting from the Soccer Field in Oakland/Pompton Lakes, cross 287, cross Skyline, to Bear Swamp and back. That should be 20+ miles....if you still have legs/lungs you can mess around in Ringwood for additional milage. Always remember to leave something in the tank for the ride back.;)
One of the best loops in NJ :cool:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Well, I don't carry a computer or GPS, but I think the "super loop" you're looking for is starting from the Soccer Field in Oakland/Pompton Lakes, cross 287, cross Skyline, to Bear Swamp and back. That should be 20+ miles....if you still have legs/lungs you can mess around in Ringwood for additional milage. Always remember to leave something in the tank for the ride back.;)
One of the best loops in NJ :cool:

I don't know Ringwood for squat so that really doesn't mean anything to me. I just need to get out there and explore I suppose.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
it depends...

Thanks. Do I need to cross the street to get to the trail head?

I think you are better off not crossing Skyline and doing the trails on the parking lot side. You can make a very nice loop. Later when I have some time I can give you more details. But I also forgot to mention on my previous post. I also work close to Skyline Drive and I can show you some trails, unfortunately I can't make it this week, perhaps next I might be able to sneak out from work at 5pm and be ready to ride by 5:30/5:40.

Top Bottom