Edge 305

D

DANSPANK

I've had this thing for 6 months now but just tried the "Courses" feature today. I have a regular 10.5 mile loop at LM. I set a good time (for me) last November and set it as a course. So today I thoughht I'd see how I compared so raced myself. It's pretty cool! I set it up to have the elevation chart on the screen and two dots representing me today and my previus course. I kicked my own arse!! It was cool to see how far ahead/behind my previous best time I was in real time: on the hills and descents.

I ended up beating my previous best by about 4 mins and more than 3/4 of a mile!

I'm going to go into motionbased and watch the dot race to relive the glory!

D

DANSPANK

I was pretty impressed with my new time too! It's likely still a bit off from most of you guys but it was a lot of fun today.

Last year I was at 1:16.42 and today I got 1:12.19. The distance is 10.51 miles.

Seeting up a course is super easy. You just right-click on your mouse and select "make course" if I remember rightly. You then click on the icon in the toolbar that "transfers to device" - that's it.

Just before you start your loop on your next trip you select "Training" then "Courses" on your GPS unit, select the course that you want to race and select "Do course". You then get a fee different views for your screen. Your time, speed and distance are there but you can choose to view a profile of the route with your past ride and your current ride represented by dots, a kind of map and finally a digital readout so that you see where you are in comparison to your previous ride. One of the views is on the box that the GPS unit came it. It's pretty cool and spurs you on during the ride as you see your personal best overtake you up a hill!

Then, like I mentioned, you can relive the glory on the Dot race at motionbased.com!

J-Dro

Courses are great for someone like me who doesn't know all the trails in some of the places up north. I can load one of Sean's old rides in the Garmin then follow the same course. The map view shows if you have drifted off the course and what direction to go to get back on it. Pretty damn cool.

D

DANSPANK

I've just discovered another feature. It's on Motionbased.com. Apologies if you already know about this and shame on you for not sharing!

Choose one of your activities from your diggest. Up pops the stats and the small map. On the right side are some orange tabs, choose the "Map Player" one. Here you can watch your ride unfold before you. It's a lot like the dot race but you don't need to ride the same trail twice to do it.

That, in itself, is cool. But on the left side you can select the background you want such as photo, topo, street etc. And just below that you can Zones; heartrate % of max, elevation, speed, and grade. Select one and your ride becomes a technicolour ribbon of your efforts. Set it to % of max heart rate and you can see where the climb that made you yak is - pretty cool in my book!

anrothar

entirely thrilled
yep... occasionally(it's random as its in beta), they will give you a fourth option for a regular player that will work with firefox. the map player doesn't. the player is better, but like i said it's entirely random which rides it shows up on.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Courses are great for someone like me who doesn't know all the trails in some of the places up north. I can load one of Sean's old rides in the Garmin then follow the same course. The map view shows if you have drifted off the course and what direction to go to get back on it. Pretty damn cool.

Jeff, or anyone else.

How do you load someone elses course onto the 305? I'm considering riding Allaire tomorrow & I haven't been there in over 10 years. There are numerous routes on Motionbased.com. I just can"t figure how to download these.

Gary

J-Dro

Jeff, or anyone else.

How do you load someone elses course onto the 305? I'm considering riding Allaire tomorrow & I haven't been there in over 10 years. There are numerous routes on Motionbased.com. I just can"t figure how to download these.

Gary

Gary,
The easiest way is to use the Motionbased agent, which is a separate program that you load on your PC (download and install from motionbased.com).

1. Download and install motionbased agent if you don't have it.
2. Download the .crs file of the ride you want to do. Save the file wherever you want.
3. Connect the gps to the PC. Fire up the motionbased agent. Select the option "Import files"
4. Browse to the file you just saved. Click 'send to connected device'.
5. The file should get saved as a 'course' under the training menu in the gps.

Once you have the course loaded, you can switch to the map view and just follow the trail.

OK, now for the disclaimer. I was at Allaire this past Saturday and wanted to do exactly what you are attempting since its been 5+ years since I was there last. Within 5 minutes, we bagged trying to follow the exact course and just rode to have fun. Allaire is a "can of worms" when it comes to criss-crossing and intersecting trails and it was getting distracting trying to emulate the exact route. The GPS course feature works great at places that are more of a loop. Allaire is all about just riding fast until you are spent, then heading back to the car. The gps will be valuable in that respect since it can point you back to where you started. Also, the gps pointed us to areas of the park that we might have otherwise missed, so it is a useful guide.

I have mixed feelings about the gps. I love it since I'm a gadget guy, but just don't let it get in the way of having fun in the woods.

Enjoy, We found Allaire easy enough to get around and find our bearings.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Gary,
The easiest way is to use the Motionbased agent, which is a separate program that you load on your PC (download and install from motionbased.com).

1. Download and install motionbased agent if you don't have it.
2. Download the .crs file of the ride you want to do. Save the file wherever you want.
3. Connect the gps to the PC. Fire up the motionbased agent. Select the option "Import files"
4. Browse to the file you just saved. Click 'send to connected device'.
5. The file should get saved as a 'course' under the training menu in the gps.

Once you have the course loaded, you can switch to the map view and just follow the trail.

OK, now for the disclaimer. I was at Allaire this past Saturday and wanted to do exactly what you are attempting since its been 5+ years since I was there last. Within 5 minutes, we bagged trying to follow the exact course and just rode to have fun. Allaire is a "can of worms" when it comes to criss-crossing and intersecting trails and it was getting distracting trying to emulate the exact route. The GPS course feature works great at places that are more of a loop. Allaire is all about just riding fast until you are spent, then heading back to the car. The gps will be valuable in that respect since it can point you back to where you started. Also, the gps pointed us to areas of the park that we might have otherwise missed, so it is a useful guide.

I have mixed feelings about the gps. I love it since I'm a gadget guy, but just don't let it get in the way of having fun in the woods.

Enjoy, We found Allaire easy enough to get around and find our bearings.

Ugh. This is brutal getting this thing to work. After having to revert back to the previous Training Center software I got it to recognize the GPS, even though the OS knew it was there, now the MotionBased Agent can't figure out where to send files to. Of course it has no problem pulling the files off the GPS and sending them to its website. But it can't upload. This is like 90% of the reason I bought the stupid thing. Jesus Christ why can't anything be easy?

ArmyOfNone

my training center software has been screwed up for months. I reinstalled it and still had issues. I have just been using motionbased. I dunno how much more the training center gives you. Maybe the more experinced users can answer.

also when i was bored and half drunk the other day i GPSd the hills of attricion route. Ill post it up when im home for all yall.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Interesting. I wonder if it's any use at all.

Still, the motionbased software doesn't work as advertised either. Everything sucks is all I know.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You will all be thrilled to know that you can also upload with the Training Center. Ok now I think I can go to bed.

ArmyOfNone

whats is nice about loading up the file is that it will tell you where to turn and advise you when your off course. I have yet to get lost.

still having problems or did you figure it out

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I used the old training center software to upload. Now I need to create my own course, upload, and try to follow just to see how easy it is when I know where I'm going. That will give me an idea of what to expect when I don't know where I'm going.

J-Dro

my training center software has been screwed up for months. I reinstalled it and still had issues. I have just been using motionbased. I dunno how much more the training center gives you. Maybe the more experinced users can answer.

also when i was bored and half drunk the other day i GPSd the hills of attricion route. Ill post it up when im home for all yall.

You need to do a hard reset of the GPS to fix this. I forgot how exactly to do it (hold some combo of buttons while turning on power) but if you search the garmin web site I'm sure its there somewhere.

I use training center as a way to store all my rides locally on my PC. I'm too cheap to pay for a motionbased monthly subscription so I only have access to my last 10 rides there.

J-Dro

Ugh. This is brutal getting this thing to work. After having to revert back to the previous Training Center software I got it to recognize the GPS, even though the OS knew it was there, now the MotionBased Agent can't figure out where to send files to. Of course it has no problem pulling the files off the GPS and sending them to its website. But it can't upload. This is like 90% of the reason I bought the stupid thing. Jesus Christ why can't anything be easy?

Did you configure the motionbased agent to tell it your motionbased username? I can't tell from your post if your trying to upload data to motionbased or if you are trying to download a course from motionbased and load it on the gps.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I use training center as a way to store all my rides locally on my PC. I'm too cheap to pay for a motionbased monthly subscription so I only have access to my last 10 rides there.

Can't you just search on your username to see your list of rides?

Top Bottom