Chimney Rock- Tues 5/15 5:30

J-Dro

Short notice ride. Meeting at the Newman's Lane parking lot at 5:30 today. I'll be on my SS. Moderate pace. Others welcome to join.

J-Dro

Fun ride today. I haven't seen CR this dry since last August. Dare I say the trails are fast. Newman's Lane lot was packed.

I saw a guy on a Seven custom Ti 29er with a lefty fork today. I can't imagine how much coin he dropped on that. Maybe this was the same guy you saw a couple of weeks ago Fred.

J-Dro

was the guys name donald? if so that surely was him. Hows the place been treating you on the ss?

I'm really digging the SS at CR, this was the 2nd time there on the 29er. Yesterday I was with 3 other riders, all on 26" dual sus bikes. She handled all the climbs and log jumps there with ease. The guys I was with were amazed that I could keep up with them but I don't know if they realize that you don't really have a choice on the SS but to maintain a minimum speed so momentum works in your favor.

Big thanks to jdog for talking me out of swapping out the 20 tooth rear ring and talking me into a 34T Q-Rotor front ring instead. It feels perfectly dialed-in now.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Fun ride today. I haven't seen CR this dry since last August. Dare I say the trails are fast. Newman's Lane lot was packed.

I saw a guy on a Seven custom Ti 29er with a lefty fork today. I can't imagine how much coin he dropped on that. Maybe this was the same guy you saw a couple of weeks ago Fred.

Safe to assume you skip the yellow loop?

Maurice

Yellow trail is fine, the ground is firm. There are some ruts in places. At one point a tree conveniently failed lengthwise along a wet area so all you have to do is ride on it.

The entire park is in great shape right now. There has been some work done and overall the trails are getting much more enjoyable to ride. Only tough spot now is the steep climb off of Chimney Rock rd. The rain seems to have washed away all the earth and it's only loose rocks now.

Cheers,

Maurice

J-Dro

Safe to assume you skip the yellow loop?

Hmmm the yellow loop... Kind of embarrassed to admit that I don't pay any attention to the trail markers at CR so I'm not sure where you are referring to.
We rode all the stuff across Newman's Lane, and all the stuff on the parking lot side of Newman's as well. Ran out of daylight so we didn't get to cross the reservoir.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yellow trail is fine, the ground is firm. There are some ruts in places. At one point a tree conveniently failed lengthwise along a wet area so all you have to do is ride on it.

The entire park is in great shape right now. There has been some work done and overall the trails are getting much more enjoyable to ride. Only tough spot now is the steep climb off of Chimney Rock rd. The rain seems to have washed away all the earth and it's only loose rocks now.

Cheers,

Maurice

Good to hear. The yellow was still sloppy Saturday. My bike was loaded with mud when I got home. The climb off Chimney Rock Rd I tried 3 times Saturday and clipped out each time by the short steep section right before the sharp turn. The yellow trails at the base of the climbs right off the road (dunno name) also seems a bit more loose-rocky than last year.

Hmmm the yellow loop... Kind of embarrassed to admit that I don't pay any attention to the trail markers at CR so I'm not sure where you are referring to.
We rode all the stuff across Newman's Lane, and all the stuff on the parking lot side of Newman's as well. Ran out of daylight so we didn't get to cross the reservoir.

Yellow is the section on the white rock lookout side.

Top Bottom