Lyme disease

J-Dro

Yup I got it. For the past 3 weeks or so, I've been noticing my endurance steadily decline. It was so frustrating since this is the time of year when your trying to build up the stamina after the long winter. Slowly, the other symptoms started to show... mild fever, achy joints, lack of energy. No rash this time. The doctor confirmed yesterday that it is Lyme's and I started the antibiotic treatment. Feeling better already but I'm guessing a couple of weeks before I'm back to normal.

Never found a damn tick either. I guess these are the risks we take by playing in the woods.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
that sucks. get better soon. take the several weeks off riding to work on conditioning your liver. it's crucial to your survival.

walter

Fourth Party
The sunday of TM at Allaire, I get home, do the check because I know Allaire is infested, no ticks, cool. I wake up monday with a wonderful cramp in my right thigh, there he is, sucking in all his glory. I immediately make a doctors appointment, go there and he puts me on antibiotics as a precaution.

So right now, I am hoping all is well. I double checked with the P.A. at my work, she said that jumping on the antibiotics was good, but I should still keep an eye out for symptoms. So far nothing yet, tomorrow will be 2 weeks, so we shall see.

Jeff, I hope all is well, and wish you a speedy recovery. I dont know why, but out of all the gross things in this world, ticks absolutely creep me the fuck out.

ytc100

That sucks Jeff. Found one of those little buggers on me last year but never got any rash or symptoms.

Good luck and get well soon.

SpartaBard

I have been pulling ticks off me regularly for the past two weeks or so when I am out in the woods, all have been the big guys, however you usually never find the small ones. Definitely that time of the year. :getsome:

I hope you have a quick recovery.

The one time I had lyme was close to 7 years ago now, and I think I picked the bugger up while hike to a cave to go spelunking Upstate somewhere. I remember the antibiotics kicked the crap out of me more than anything else.

J-Dro

Thanks for the good wishes guys.

The thing about Lyme's is... you don't just wake up one day feeling sick. The symptoms slowly creep up on you. Some days you feel pretty good, hoping that you have shaken the "bug" that you picked up. Then the next day you feel drained and crappy again. After the symptoms start to pile up and a few weeks has gone by, it finally dawns on you... Must be Lyme's.

I had it once before about 5 or 6 years ago and got a huge ugly skin rash at the bite epicenter, which made the diagnosis a no-brainer. This time, no rash.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Bummer, Jeff. Hope you feel better soon. Beer probably does help, but I'm not a doctor so I suppose maybe I'm wrong.

Shaggz

A strong 7
jeff: which AB did they put you on? when i was working in NYC, there was a woman in the mail room at one of our affiliate hospitals who died of anthrax exposure. they wound up prescribing ABs for the entire staff, and i found it interesting that it was one of the ABs used to treat lyme's disease.

speaking of lyme's, happy mexican beer day to every one! jeff, feel better.

walter

Fourth Party
So, just to be clear, LD can be treated and cured, like a bad cold or something, or is it something that once you get it once you are always going to have recurring symptoms? My doctor put me on Doxycycl.

J-Dro

Shaggz, I'm on Doxycycline (I think thats how its spelled)

And although the pill bottle is full of side effects warnings (avoid sun exposure, drink with a full glass of water, no vitamins, no antacids, no diary products within 2 hours of taking the AB), there is no mention of avoiding alcohol. So maybe I'll try Dr. Norm's prescription later on.

J-Dro

Walter, its 100% curable if you get it at an early stage (like I did). If it goes undiagnosed for a long time, the effects on the body can be more severe and possibly permanent. Unfortunately, just because you had it once does not give you immunity from getting it again.

Shaggz

A strong 7
BTW - cipro was the AB i mentioned above. i believe that there used to be problems with reoccurring symptoms, but the newer ABs have pretty much eliminated those issues.

walter

Fourth Party
Walter, its 100% curable if you get it at an early stage (like I did). If it goes undiagnosed for a long time, the effects on the body can be more severe and possibly permanent. Unfortunately, just because you had it once does not give you immunity from getting it again.

Jeff, thats what I thought. Be aware, we are on the same meds, my driving arm, the one that hangs out the window on the drivers side, got roasted by the sun. And there is no bad side effects from booze.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
conditioning ones liver involves consuming the original antibiotic, uisce beatha, the water of life, whiskey. or the alchoholic beverage of your choice. :D

bruce.b

Dickwad
Guys,
I've had Lyme twice, my dog almost died from it, my brother and sister have both had it. If you catch it early, like my brother and I did, usually one course of AB's kills it. My sister wasn't so lucky. She spent many months being misdiagnosed, then developed very serious symptoms. She was on IV anti's for months at a time. She slowly got better but she still has problems. Sometimes if they don't catch it early you're going to have lifelong problems. HMO's in general really suck if you get the chronic form. My sister was pretty much on her own and ended up spending many thousands of dollars for treatment. She was just lucky that she and her husband could afford it.
I ride and hike all the time, so I find ticks pretty much every day this time of year. Just typing this is giving me the crawlies. Once, after a hike behind my house (Boonton Township) I pulled off over 30 ticks from the dog and something like 17 from myself. They really suck and also tick me off, but what can you do? Aren't ticks proof that God doesn't exist?
bruce

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i'm not religious at all, but they really don't, since they fit into the broader scheme of things. valuable food source for turkey and other wildlife. occasional bloodletting, either through giving blood, crashing, or tick bites is actually good for you.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
to clarify, the disease itself could very well be the proof your looking for, or at least proof that whatever is in charge(if it is) couldn't really care less about us individually; but ticks are a good insect in general. just because many humans carry disease doesn't make us worthless as a whole...

bruce.b

Dickwad
>>just because many humans carry disease doesn't make us worthless as a whole...<<

No, but there are plenty of other reasons why humans are worthless. For example, when my wife got up and saw me getting my bike ready she told me right on the spot how worthless I am. Plenty of teachers, priests, bosses, co-workers cub and boy scout leaders, most of my friends, neighbors, and pretty much all of my relatives have told me the same thing many, many times. Of course, this doesn't make it so, but late at night, drunk and horny, sometimes I wonder.

>>but ticks are a good insect in general.<<

I HATE TICK LOVERS! Sorry, but ticks are useless in my book. More than humans. More than me! More than anyone on this stupid forum. Ticks are scum.

bruce

Top Bottom