2010 Formula 1 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
The boys from Maranello have launched their 2010 machine! So, let the season begin!!!

She looks clean...'wonder if the ban on the double diffuser (didn't I read that?), will wrap them around the axle :hysterica

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/image/index.html

Anyway, with all of the silly season moves, I'm not sure who I want to be rooting for this season. My gut is that whiny boy and McClaren will be the combo to beat, but I'd love to see Jenson smack whiny boy around (won't happen, btw), and see young Mr. Vettel in his Red Bull take a championship run, or see Fernando in his Ferrari bring the Scuderia to the top, and of course, I really want Mr. Schumacher (and Brawn) to show us that coming out of retirement wasn't a dumb-ass thing for him to do.

Less than two months to Bahrain...wonder if USF1 will show? My money says "nope". And if they do, they'll probably be so slow they won't be allowed to take the grid.

Last edited:

mwlikesbikes

I think (I could be wrong) that the double diffuser ban will take effect in 2011.
It's gonna be weird seeing Shumi in something other than a Ferrari. I'll still root for him though.
I'm torn with Alonso racing for the Scuderia, I know he's a great driver but I personally don't care for him much. I kinda want Massa to show him up.
I think we'll be in for an entertaining season, This is the most shaking up of drivers & teams we've seen in years. I hope USF1 takes the grid, their car is supposedly ready for testing and they've got one driver signed, Argentine Jose Maria Lopez. Apparently he comes with an $8,000,000 sponsonship deal (there's a shock)

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I just read that USF1 won't test until late Feb (!!!). I do hope they make the grid.

The stuff that went down at McClaren with Alonso did sour me a bit on him, but I've gotten over it. Whiny boy? Not-so-much...though he has obviously been sent to charm school.

Shumi in a car that isn't red will be weird, but it'll pass quickly if he runs well.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Schumacher back to F1! Is this why he was "outed" as the Stig?

Nah, that was way before any of this comeback stuff happened.

Plus, do you really think he was the stig? Schumi not being in the limelight on purpose? Not with that ego...

Schumi being the stig is just fabulous publicity for all.

TommyCrash

Double diffuser ban will take effect next year. I think teams have that loophole sorted out for one more year. No refueling?, that added to the pressure and excitment of pit stops. (and exhaust fires) I hope that isn't as weird as when they banned tire changes and the mechanics looked around the tires, without tires or air guns. Shumi in a non red car will need some getting used to. He was almost as famous with Ferrari as the 'old man.' There must be some fire burning his ass to race again. Although he did make the right choice with pairing back up with Brawn. Friggin stratagy genius! Alonso does nothing for me, good driver but just a douche. Vettle is the kid to watch out for. USF1 will make it tothe grid if I have to push the car around the track. Peter Windsor is one of the good guys and I hope the team will have some feet and at least be the best of the new entrants. Could go on but I got to get some work done. More later...? Enjoy the season.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Ross' strategy "genius" will be limited with the refueling ban. I also have to agree with Alonso that if you don't qualify in the top three, forget about taking the win.

I think the ban will just make the racing itself more boring. After the first few laps when everybody sorts themselves out in race trim, it will be more or less follow the leader except for mechanicals and mistakes. The differing pit strategies, and the change up of pit strategies, shook things up and made it interesting. I don't think the ban will last.

Pete Windsor is a good guy and I hope they shock us all like Brawn did last year; however, even as bad of a position Brawn was between the '08 & '09 seasons, they were infinitely in a better place than USF1 is at the moment. 'Hope they're a second or two off pace and not 4-5 seconds off (which is where they'll be, IMO).

gtluke

The Moped
he's not actually the stig, it was a joke.
I wish I could like F1, it looks fun to watch. Being that the cars are closer to jet fighters than they are to cars I just can't can't care.
I like my race cars to have doors that open, and 3 pedals.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
he's not actually the stig, it was a joke.
I wish I could like F1, it looks fun to watch. Being that the cars are closer to jet fighters than they are to cars I just can't can't care.
I like my race cars to have doors that open, and 3 pedals.

Makes sense the stig thing was a joke...it never made much sense.

Funny how differently we look at the auto racing thing; fenders and doors just don't do it for me; the farther away from a street car it is, the better. I used to be a little more balanced. When I was trying to decide what to race over a decade ago I considered getting a Late Model Sportsman, but I decided my welding skills weren't good enough for that. So then I tried driving a formula car and that was all it took--game over.

I think F1 is a tough thing to watch for the "casual observer". It is more of a chess game than a brawl, and often, the off track activities are the most interesting parts of the sport. I think they're trying to make it a little bit more of a brawl with the refueling ban, but I don't think that is going to work.

Plus, I think you need to have an appreciation of just how *extreme* these machines are...especially compared to any other race car type there is. I think a "casual observer" will have a tough time appreciating the gap between a F1 machine and a NASCAR taxi cab, let alone the gap between a F1 machine and another open wheel car (IRL for instance).

gtluke

The Moped
Meh, I dont' like racing governed by insane amounts of rules. I like races where you show up and run what you brung!
Which is why I've stopped watching even WRC rally for the most part. The FIA has ruined it and now totally destroyed it by using s2000 rules.
I've never even watched 30 seconds of nascar for this reason.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Meh, I dont' like racing governed by insane amounts of rules. I like races where you show up and run what you brung!
Which is why I've stopped watching even WRC rally for the most part. The FIA has ruined it and now totally destroyed it by using s2000 rules.
I've never even watched 30 seconds of nascar for this reason.

So, what does that leave? Bracket racing?

gtluke

The Moped
I tend to follow classes like drag radial or any of the 10.5" classes where the rules are:
Run 10.5" slicks
or
Run drag radial tires

and it pretty much stops there.

Local rally is pretty open too. There are a lot of rules yes, but they aren't that bad. The turbo restrictor is pretty annoying but 200mph rally cars would just kill people.

The FIA has taken the rules so far that Subaru was forced out of rally. That really blows.
2009 had 2 manufacturers, ford and citroen.
LAAAAME

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
My F1 fan-dom goes back to before Schumi was in the red car, though I've not been following too closely for the last 5 years or so. I caught bits and pieces of races in 2009 and have been thinking I need to start paying more attention again this season. From what you boys are discussing, it looks to be interesting.

TommyCrash

My F1 fan-dom goes back to before Schumi was in the red car, though I've not been following too closely for the last 5 years or so. I caught bits and pieces of races in 2009 and have been thinking I need to start paying more attention again this season. From what you boys are discussing, it looks to be interesting.

Now you have to follow Shumi in the Silver Car. He'll be the one in the front:rolleyes: It should be a good year.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Now you have to follow Shumi in the Silver Car. He'll be the one in the front:rolleyes: It should be a good year.

Not that testing in Valencia is a solid indicator of how things will go when the red lights go out in Bahrain, but the Ferrari's are looking *really* good, consistently being the fastest. Brawn was looking good until they got to the lower fuel load testing...they claim to know why they went backwards and know how to fix it:rolleyes:

At least Schumi has shown he can still drive one of these things with the best of 'em. If Brawn can keep a competitive car under him, I think we'll see some Schumi podium jumping this year :D

Nick Heidfeld could only pick up a test seat @ MB? Wow...

TommyCrash

Yes, the Ferraris are looking good. It's amazing that they know 3-6 races in the season if the cars a dud and development transfers to the next years car. This shows in this years cas. Kimi did win at Spa. That track just outright kicks ass. Not just Eau Rouge but the whole diversity and elevation changes of the track.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
This sucks. I was looking forward to seeing what they could do. Even their friends at Speed TV are starting to join in. http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-is-windsors-usf1-finally-dream-over/

On a positive note the Lotus looks good with it's classic Jim Clark era livery of British racing green with a gold stripe. http://www.formula1.com/gallery/launches/2010/511.html

It does suck, but it isn't much of a surprise. Starting a F1 team from scratch is a *big* bite to take.

The Lotus' do look nice, though they remind me a little too much of my alma mater...

oregon.8602449.jpg
54_Lotus_6.jpg

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
That sure does look like a duck-inspired car. I was always partial to the colors, though I am forced to objectively admit that they may be a bit...harsh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom