bike shop hours?

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
so i was thinking....

maybe someone can give me some insight into this one b/c it's something that i simply do not understand. shop folks, feel free to chime in.

if i was a bike shop owner, my hours wouldn't be anything close to those of the the bike shops in my neck of the woods. the reason: with the execption of a few VERY hardcore cyclists, i would guess 99% of the business that is done in a bike shop happens after that same percentage of people get home from work. SO, my bike shop hours would be the following to cater to everyone:

Mon - Thurs: noon - 8:00
Tues: closed
Fri: 11 - 7
Sat/Sun: 9 - 4

it simply blows my mind that shops open early on weekdays then close at 6:00ish...when most of the riding population is coming home from work and could actually go there to spend money, etc. i would also adjust my hours during the winter since business volume is lower. during that time, in order to get more folks in the door, i think i would host lots of MTB rides and offer free coffee/snacks/fuel at the shop afterwards...probably discounts on winter clothing too based on some ride incentive program...to keep people coming out. maybe free "basic tunes" as well. i would probably get some kind of sponsors too...like a local bar or something.

i dunno, maybe there is some dynamic that i'm missing. in my very limited experience, it seems that the shops all but close down during the cold months. if it were my business i'd do all i could to keep it going year round.

i also have no clue why most car dealerships are closed on sundays but that's another story.

norm, i'm sure you have all the answers so please educate me.

Shaggz

A strong 7
i *think* the earlier hours during the week help accommodate schedules for fedex, ups, freight delivery. i have been to my lbs on several occasions on weekdays, and have been astounded by the amount of business and traffic they get in the AM, even before the shop is officially open.

DD-

i *think* the earlier hours during the week help accommodate schedules for fedex, ups, freight delivery. i have been to my lbs on several occasions on weekdays, and have been astounded by the amount of business and traffic they get in the AM, even before the shop is officially open.

good point about the deliveries - I didn't think of that one.

I did think that during the day, the customer traffic is slower - which means less interruptions for doing paperwork, unpacking the deliveries, stocking shelves, building up bikes, not to mention fixing customer's bikes. Must be hard for the LBS to get anything done if they have to constantly stop and answer questions. There is probably a good balance of having the place open for folks to stop in after work, be able to get the necessary work done, and not work a 20 hour day :hmmm:

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
That's about Actions schedule but they are open later and only closed 3 days a year i think, so your thoughts are almost on as far as they're concerned.Just hang in there cause sometimes wishes do come true........

anrothar

entirely thrilled
rt 15 schedule for most of the year is

m,t,t,f- 10-8
w- closed
sat- 10-6
sun- 11-4

winter hours(jan/feb/mar) the weekdays are chopped back to 6, and they are closed sunday. john's schedule is a little wierd, but whatever works for him. if it was hurting his business, i'm sure he would change them.

Top Bottom