Hardtail or full sus.

walter

Fourth Party
Lets say that its a really nasty day out and you have nothing to do, you suddenly decide you are going to treat yourself to a new bike. You know that where you do the majority of your riding a hardtail will be the weapon of choice, but you know that there are some spots out there where a fully could be nice. Do you stick with the hardtail knowing you will get good use out of it, and when you travel to more technical riding areas, improve on your skills, or would you buy a full sus. knowing that it would normally be a bit of overkill on your favorite trail, but when you venture out, you can blast over stuff like a slob.

just wondering, because its real crappy out, both my wife and daughter are sick, and this Stone ruination is going down real nice

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i think i would buy a hardtail. wait, i turning the mary into one (hopefully). nevermind.

J-Dro

Counterpoint

If this hypothetical person had no other bikes, I would say the hardtail is the way to go. Bit if that person had somethig in his/her arsenal already (like say a Mary 29er), I would say that a full suspension all-mountain type bike is the way to go. That would cover the other end of the spectrum for the gnarlier places that you might ride more if you had a bike with full glorified plushness.

The argument about hardtails lasting longer is technically true, but kind of a moot point since you will most probably outgrow the bike and want something new before the full sus wears out anyway.

Maybe that hypotheticcal person should demo something like a Rush at a place like Allamuchy when it dries out and see for himself.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
pppfffftttt! downhill. HA! this is how real men race downhill:

tomac.jpg

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I thought that was you bombing down the grand tour at Hartshorne on the Bonty cx
On my best day and his worst day, John Tomac would still kick my ass. But I'm having a good time on the drop bars, yes.

My FS bike revolutionized my riding. I learned to be more aggressive and to carry more speed. No doubt about it. I think that whatever I learned on that bike carried back over to the full rigid SS, too.

I'd agree with Jeff as well on this.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
You only need sus for drops over a few feet w/ no downside or retartdedly BIG stuff.I've schooled many at Diablo on an alum DJ bike w/ only 6 up front.If you think you need sus for any of the usual NJ xc riding spots you're just getting old.In closing I'd say it's best to be sure what types of riding you're absolutely committed to doing and get a specific bike for it no matter the cost cause if you skimp and try to get a "does it all" bike it will get you thru the door anywhere but all the rooms will suck after 5 mins.............

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
In closing I'd say it's best to be sure what types of riding you're absolutely committed to doing and get a specific bike for it no matter the cost cause if you skimp and try to get a "does it all" bike it will get you thru the door anywhere but all the rooms will suck after 5 mins.............

I would mostly disagree with this. I think people get so hung up on the smallest details of this stuff they forget to just ride. I think 19 times out of 20 the limiter is the biker, not the bike. Put another way, you put Maurice on a Walmart bike and he still kicks our asses out there.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
I agree but..

..thats experience.Walt's learning so genre specific bikes will make his life much easier.I couldn't do what i do now if it wasn't for jumping off small buildings w/ 10" of DH travel and I wouldn't have had the guts for that if I hadn't raced moto.I'm going to Wal-mart now to buy a bike and when i see you i'm gonna grind you into the dirt and drop you like your momma did.It'll hurt way less than if Maurice did it..................................

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I would mostly disagree with this. I think people get so hung up on the smallest details of this stuff they forget to just ride. I think 19 times out of 20 the limiter is the biker, not the bike. Put another way, you put Maurice on a Walmart bike and he still kicks our asses out there.

Sure.. But no matter the price point buying any bike can be gut wrenching.

I am at the point now where my least complicated and cheapest bike is the one I ride the most.

I will honestly say that after riding 29" for a while it is hard going back to the little wheels.

How about a full custom Ti 29" short travel bike full suspension bike that can be run w/gears or as a SS?? oops.. Just gave away my plan..:eek:

j

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm going to Wal-mart now to buy a bike and when i see you i'm gonna grind you into the dirt and drop you like your momma did.

You're going to squeeze me out from between your legs? That's just wrong, yo.

bikeboy566

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Lets say that its a really nasty day out and you have nothing to do, you suddenly decide you are going to treat yourself to a new bike. You know that where you do the majority of your riding a hardtail will be the weapon of choice, but you know that there are some spots out there where a fully could be nice. Do you stick with the hardtail knowing you will get good use out of it, and when you travel to more technical riding areas, improve on your skills, or would you buy a full sus. knowing that it would normally be a bit of overkill on your favorite trail, but when you venture out, you can blast over stuff like a slob.

just wondering, because its real crappy out, both my wife and daughter are sick, and this Stone ruination is going down real nice

Humm... If you asked me that question about a year ago i would have to say get a full susp. but now i would have to say hardtail,(29 er) front susp. Sram comp. I-9 wheels the works. I'm digging the hardtail again if you can ride it in the ruff stuff you can ride it anywhere.

J-Dro

Humm... If you asked me that question about a year ago i would have to say get a full susp. but now i would have to say hardtail,(29 er) front susp. Sram comp. I-9 wheels the works. I'm digging the hardtail again if you can ride it in the ruff stuff you can ride it anywhere.

My point was that Walter already has a 29er hardtail. Buying a 26" geared hardtail has too much overlap with the Mary. It won't open much if any new terrain to him. I totally agree with ChrisG that an FS rig will help him become a more aggressive rider.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep

Careful on the I-9's.. The concept is very good but they are not perfect.

I had a guy bring in a set this week that had all the spoke hanging in the wind. The spoke had no prep on them and they were falling apart. I told the guy to take them back where he bought them. I didn't want to be responsible for f'n up his new wheels that were broken after 2 rides..

The issue as I see it is that the spokes are actually too strong and too stiff. They overpower the rim in fact. If you hit something the spokes will not flex so the rim has to do the flexing.

This set was built with a very flimsy Stan's rim. Silly race rim IMHO..

I was impressed with the concept and planning that went into the spokes and hubs though.

If you want a set you really should wait for DT's new 29er rim that will be out in the summer. It should be just narrower than a Salsa Delgado Disc but way stiffer. Right around 500g.. Tubeless ready too with their rim kit.

I built 3 wheels with DT rims today and I love how they feel. I am sold.

j

bikeboy566

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
J you know nothin perfect in this world but i still like them, as far as spoke prep on the spokes i have seen other wheel companys drop the ball on that dept.

Top Bottom