My 28.5er

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
What we have here is a serious labor of love.

I've been on Bontragers since 1994, and am a confirmed member of the cult which has sprung up around Keith's frames. Anyone here who know me, knows my main ride is a rigid SSed Bonty Race Lite.

I've always lusted after one of his cyclocross frames; it took a while to come together, but here it is:
-96 or 97 Bontrager CX frame
-fork by Brent Steelman
-Dura Ace 9sp STI; XTR rear mech; XT front mech
-XTR hubs built with Mavic Open Pro Ceramic and 14/15 DT spokes
-Kenda Kross Supreme 35c tires
-vintage Race Face I-Beam cranks 36/46 with Phil Wood ti BB
-vintage Syncros post and quill stem
-first gen XTR cantis with ceramic pads
-1" threaded King headset and Deda 215 Italian bend bar
-WTB SST saddle

So far, I've only ridden it around a local 80 acre woodlot a couple of times, but it sure is fun. Soon to be seen bumbling around various Monmouth County singletracks. Huge thanks to JDawg for his enthusiasm and effort in putting the project together.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Chris and I were bidding on eBay for this frame. The funny thing is that I was thinking of buying it for him more than me. He won it since I forgot to watch the last hours of the auction.

One could easily look at the picture and not quite realize how special and unique this bike is. Truly a special bike.

This is by far my favorite cross bike I have built this year.

The ceramic rims really make it shine in the mud.

The Black and Orange theme is super. The silver chainrings gotta go.

The best part is that it fits me too..

If I was to pick one of your bikes to steal it would be this.. maybe the moots.. Naw this for sure.

I count this as 5 complete bikes ridable in your home right now.. And you don't even own a shop!

I just finished the wheels for my cross bike so we need to plan a cross rally day.

j

Last edited:

ChrisG

more of my ramblings...

Chris and I were bidding on eBay for this frame. The funny thing is that I was thinking of buying it for him more than me. He won it since I forgot to watch the last hours of the auction.

One could easily look at the picture and not quite realize how special and unique this bike is. Truly a special bike.

This is by far my favorite cross bike I have built this year.

The ceramic rims really make it shine in the mud.

The Black and Orange theme is super. The silver chainrings gotta go.

The best part is that it fits me too..

If I was to pick one of your bikes to steal it would be this.. maybe the moots.. Naw this for sure.

I count this as 5 complete bikes ridable in your home right now.. And you don't even own a shop!

I just finished the wheels for my cross bike so we need to plan a cross rally day.

j
Yeah, there's all sorts of funny little stuff attached to this bike.

Jason and I had a rare lull in our communication and he wasn't aware that I was seriously gonna pursue the bike, so we ended up bidding against each other in the early going. It ended up going to 35 bids and I sweated off a few pounds, but I got lucky.

The bike was originally owned by a Bontrager employee and that's why it's powdercoated in their team orange and lacks panel decals. I was told that it may be the only orange example in existence, as the "regular" frames were all gray with red panels. No color options were available.

When I took possession, it was set up as "the world's fastest hybrid", with a flat bar and 8 spd. XT Rapidfire and Vbrakes. I kept the cranks, saddle, bottom bracket (with a rebuild), headset, and rear hub. All the other components were replaced from my parts bin or through J. Again, I can't say enough about the role Jason played in bringing it together.

The picture is crappy and does not do the bike justice, I have to agree. I'll resize it soon and perhaps add a few others so some of the other cool frame details are seen. The Bonty frame gussets are particularly neat.

I am very lucky to have several bikes, each of which plays a unique role and gets ridden regularly. I don't like the idea of building them just to look at them, though I can appreciate why some folks do that.

A bunch of guys flying around the local woods on cross bikes will be a load of fun. I'm stoked.

ChrisG

5 rides in now...

I've taken this rig to Allaire twice and Hartshorne/Huber once, following two shakedown runs in the local woods. Very interesting indeed.

On anything even moderately open and flowing, it feels like a rocketship. Cornering in the drops is very comfortable for me, given all of my road-weenie background, and I'm in the drops for all descending as well. Log piles and drop-offs can all be negotiated straight up, but I'm definitely hitting some stuff slower.

Catching air in the drops on descents is a hoot, though I still have to do a lot of work on the bunny-hopping skills for bigger stuff.

Big wheels and drop bars are somewhat unwieldy in slow twisty stuff such as Tiger Woods, but the bike is definitely not designed for that anyway.

I've got Kenda Kross Supremes in 35c on there. These are the most aggressive mid-size cross tire I've seen, and they've been great for singletrack and climbing.

Tremendous fun to ride familiar trails with a very different feel. I've been wanting to add a cross bike to the arsenal for a while, and I'd say it's a great addition for anyone looking to expand their riding experiences.

ArmyOfNone

ya thats on the list too along with well lets see... a new roadie, a fixed roadie and a 29er. man i dont know whats worse, cycling or crack.

Unfortunately, my cross bike will not be as sweet as yours.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
what's the funny lookin thing hanging off the dropout?

nice bike. i've always wanted a keith built bontrager. or a fat chance.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
what's the funny lookin thing hanging off the dropout?

nice bike. i've always wanted a keith built bontrager. or a fat chance.

I think they call it a Da-Rail-her. Something like a way to make up for jello legs I heard..

Top Bottom