wheels

Shaggz

A strong 7
what wheelsets are you all running? i'm looking to pick up a set of mavic crossmax st and am trying to get an idea of other options.

The Rose

On my Marin , I'm running a set of Arrow XCL's laced to White Industry hubs.
On the SS I have Surly hubs surrounded by Mavic 317 disc rims. I really like arrows, they are very strong and have thick visible welds connecting the rim.

walter

Fourth Party
what wheelsets are you all running? i'm looking to pick up a set of mavic crossmax st and am trying to get an idea of other options.

Hey Steve, these look like a pretty good set up, if you go to the competitive cyclist website, it'll give you some info on alot of different wheels, from I9 to Mavic to Shimano to DT swiss

Shaggz

A strong 7
thanks, walter. I really dig the I9 stuff :drooling:, but could not imagine spending that kind of scratch wheels.

walter

Fourth Party
thanks, walter. I really dig the I9 stuff :drooling:, but could not imagine spending that kind of scratch wheels.

I know exactly what your saying, I have had alot of different bikes with alot of different components, but I have never had a custom or upgraded wheelset so I have no clue where to start. I9's or SLR's would be great, but for a grand, I can buy a pretty good complete bike to abuse.

Then you throw in the whole 29er thing......

Last edited:

bikeboy566

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
I have a set of old! crossmax(4 bolt thats how old:rofl: ) on my enduro, stock wheels on the Mary,but im going to put on the Industry Nine on that.On the road bike i have mavic cxp on ultegra hubs,on the downhill bike i have singletracks on stock xt hub, special-ed front through axle hub.

walter

Fourth Party
I have a set of old! crossmax(4 bolt thats how old:rofl: ) on my enduro, stock wheels on the Mary,but im going to put on the Industry Nine on that.On the road bike i have mavic cxp on ultegra hubs,on the downhill bike i have singletracks on stock xt hub, special-ed front through axle hub.

Tony,

are you guys I9 dealers, or just doing it yourself?

anrothar

entirely thrilled
currently running surly hubs laced dt 14g straight to wtb dual duty rims.

if i had the cash it would be: dt hubs, dt alpine III tripple butted spokes, and possibly the same rims. or maybe a speed disc up front.

i haven't trued the wheels i'm currently running since i got them. tensioned once, but they were dead straight. built them up last spring.

Wobbegong

I9's or SLR's would be great, but for a grand, I can buy a pretty good complete bike to abuse.

You could get a pair of I9 wheels for quite a bit less than a grand. When I was looking into a new wheelset, The I9 option was only around 100 bucks more than King hubs laced to the same rims. I have to say the I9 wheels are a work of art. Nothing I've seen comes close. The 108 point engagement is nice, its instant.

walter

Fourth Party
You could get a pair of I9 wheels for quite a bit less than a grand. When I was looking into a new wheelset, The I9 option was only around 100 bucks more than King hubs laced to the same rims. I have to say the I9 wheels are a work of art. Nothing I've seen comes close. The 108 point engagement is nice, its instant.

Damn you and your sweet wheels

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
my fuel has mavic 719s, DT swiss laces and hope hubs. built to be REALLY bombproof but still light enough not to drag me down.

stock rims on my mary with no intentions of upgrading

stock rims on the 970. :D

anrothar

entirely thrilled
yep. learned while working at the shop. have built about a dozen for myself over the years. only one is out of commission now because the flange broke(campy record track hub, known for doing that). the rest are either on one of my current bikes or on ones i have sold. best thread prep i have found so far: toothpaste.

edit: there were one or two rim replacements due to brake surface wear.

ArmyOfNone

i was just talking about wheelsets over lunch. I think that may be my next upgrade (if i dont get a whole new rig, not sure yet). Im thinking the Crossmax myself. I have seen so many ppl riding em. they all say they are bomb proof, have not had to true them yet. and they look damn cool also, i like the bladed spokes :)

D

DANSPANK

I've got the crossmax's in my Stumpy. THey're pretty sweet looking with the bladed spokes and perform pretty well as well. Not out of true yet!

PedalPaddles

My last wheels were Hugi hubs and Mavic ceramic rims. They lasted several years. My current wheels are XTR hubs with Mavic 517’s. I like the XTR hubs, the rear is smooth and quiet.

I ordered both wheelsets from Colorado Cyclist. I like their custom wheel program because you can configure the components to get the best wheels for your budget. Often, the built wheels are cheaper than the total for the parts. The wheels are always rock solid too. A few of my buddies have Colorado wheels too and never had any problems.

Maurice

After two seasons on Crossmax XLs it's hard for me to ride anything else without a bit of apprehension. The biggest difference I find is stiffness. Steel spokes have some amount of flex that becomes noticeable after a while. Stiffer wheels definitely inspire more confidence when riding hard.

Also, even though the wheels use mostly proprietary technology, the maintenance is much easier than with other hubs. They do come out of true, but I have to admit that they also take a beating.

I'm looking at the STs myself for racing. Should be a little lighter than the XLs.

Maurice

Top Bottom