Trail conditions?

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Everything in Sussex is 4" plus..

It's all frozen underneath w/ ice sand on top.Any extended climbs will be dicey but all else is great if you've got studs.I'll be riding both days so post it up if you need a sherpa guide or just sit on yer lazy bums and whine...........

Maurice

Round Valley

I rode RV this morning and had a blast. Probably 3-4" all over, with a crust of ice you don't want to break. The scenery was just wonderful and where the ice is stronger you can pick up decent speed. It was interesting as the wind would blow me sideways. Rode most morning and made the trace. There were some interesting animal prints, like some kind of wolverine had crossed the trail at some point (didn't have my twelve gauge though) ;)

Maurice

anrothar

entirely thrilled
gotta watch out for those vicious new jersey wolverines....

at work today, in jefferson, i was able to drive the mason dump truck with a ton of clean(stone) in the bed right on top of the crusty layer without breaking it at all. the wind had blown most of the powdery snow off of it, so it was reaflly firm and gripped fairly well. i'm gonna drop tire pressure to around 30 and go ride both days. brett, wanna meet in the mooch one day? bottom of your side? i'll ride over.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Was out at CR this morning. Lower your tire pressure and it's not so bad. The white trails were fun as hell. I came THIS close to tumbling down into the tiny pond you ride along the rim of. That would have been...interesting.

I also have a bridge problem. Took another spill on a different bridge (near the frisbee golf course). Totally stopped paying attention and, well, there went the tires. No retarded injuries this time though.

By the end of the ride things were getting soft, too soft. Hopefully it melts down tonight and freezes up solid overnight.

Maurice

Back from Round Valley. If anything the ice is a tiny bit harder. Only time of the year the trail is that smooth (it doesn't make it any easier for some reason). Hopefully it stays like that for a couple more days...

Norm unless you have studs on your tires I don't think you want that to happen.

Maurice

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Toh it up fo sho...

Rode Allamuchy this am and if I had a rear stud on this bike Iprobably wouldn't have walked at all.The only thing Gary Fisher could do to make this bike better would be to include a complimentary mail order bride of your choice.I'm on 29s for life. Maybe Mahlon on Sun unless Sean calls me....

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Maurice,

In theory what you say makes sense. But the exposed areas that had been melted and refrozen were nice and solid today, good grip. Of course if it all turns to ice then wheeeeeeeeee!

Mike679

Also Rode CR this Morning

Got there around 8:45 or so, rode for about an hour and a half. Trails were good - traction surprisingly good. Very large patches of slippery-smooth ice in some areas, but had a fun ride. Things started to get crappy towards the end of the ride as the temperature went up a bit.

Norm - was that your red VW in the lot?

Mike

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yup, that was my red VW. We got out at 7:00 so I figured posting was useless. We finished up around 9:30 and it was getting too soft by that time already.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Wow, sounds icy out there. Thanks for posting up the conditions. I'm still on the fence with what to do the next few days.

I decided to opt for XC skiing at Wawayana today. It was some of the best conditions I have ever had. Apparantly the ice pellet layer in between covered the rocks pretty well, and the top was soft. I did hit a few rocks and was forced to hug a tree, but skiing and spaz go hand in hand.

It was a beautiful day up there. I had a chance to cross a few frozen over swamps past a beaver developement. Always magical covered in snow. It was so nice, we stayed out for 5 hours.:drooling:

Now I have to decide if it is worth it to go downsairs for dinner, because I may not make it back up the stairs.:drooling: :sleep: :drooling:

Anyway, the upcoming week sounds iffy for conditions in the woods. Atleast it may warm a tad! Please keep posting the conditions!!

one seriously toasted pixy

anrothar

entirely thrilled
Rode Allamuchy this am and if I had a rear stud on this bike Iprobably wouldn't have walked at all.The only thing Gary Fisher could do to make this bike better would be to include a complimentary mail order bride of your choice.I'm on 29s for life. Maybe Mahlon on Sun unless Sean calls me....

still can't find phone. maybe left at work... i was thinking mahlon tomorrow too.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
rode LM/PP this afternoon. where the sun didn't get it the trails were smooth and fast. where the sun DID, well, a lot mush which led to a lot of hike-a-bike. ride early when you can.

norm, next time you're going to ride that early let me know. that i actually have a chance at making.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Wow, sounds icy out there. Thanks for posting up the conditions. I'm still on the fence with what to do the next few days.

I decided to opt for XC skiing at Wawayana today. It was some of the best conditions I have ever had. Apparantly the ice pellet layer in between covered the rocks pretty well, and the top was soft. I did hit a few rocks and was forced to hug a tree, but skiing and spaz go hand in hand.

It was a beautiful day up there. I had a chance to cross a few frozen over swamps past a beaver developement. Always magical covered in snow. It was so nice, we stayed out for 5 hours.:drooling:

Now I have to decide if it is worth it to go downsairs for dinner, because I may not make it back up the stairs.:drooling: :sleep: :drooling:

Anyway, the upcoming week sounds iffy for conditions in the woods. Atleast it may warm a tad! Please keep posting the conditions!!

one seriously toasted pixy
Oh my, this sounds like heaven.:)

I was one of those who bailed on the Allaire ride this morning and had to make do with 2 hours of fixed gear roller riding. Phooey.

Top Bottom