What's good, what's not

MikeP

I've never had to "dismount" when yielding to a hiker. Normally I pull off to the side of the trail and allow them to pass by me. When passing a hiker as long as you make yourself well known in a polite way and do not "push" them off the side of the trail I've never run into someone that has an issue with me slowly rolling past them.

Horse riders have a much harder time "dismounting" from their ride than we do. As well they take up more room on the trail and are harder to maneuver.

Just like Ben said we all as user should show respect to all other users of the trails if we wish to be respected.

Ipods on trails are a bad idea IMO. I can't tell you how many people running/biking I've run into that use them and are oblivious to their environment. Its just a distraction that could be come dangerous.

with horses I dismount and move completely off the trail, don't want to sppok a horse. When it comes to hikers I usually stop if the trail is narrow or slowly roll past. The only place I've run into trouble is at Wissahickon. I stopped riding there on weekends for the most part. Weekday afternoon there's so much less traffic.

EAS

All the posts have been great, and certainly a great idea. We should try something that most of society has forgotten about, when stopped on the trail or in the parking lot, let's try and give a "Hello" to the hikers or other users of the trails.

Seems like a simple "Hello" to others that have the passion for the outdoors as we do can go incredibly far. Many of times it will actually catch a hiker as a shock that we (MTB's) are not all a bunch of criminals on 2 wheels....

Just a thought.....

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
We should try something that most of society has forgotten about, when stopped on the trail or in the parking lot, let's try and give a "Hello" to the hikers or other users of the trails.

Seems like a simple "Hello" to others that have the passion for the outdoors as we do can go incredibly far. Many of times it will actually catch a hiker as a shock that we (MTB's) are not all a bunch of criminals on 2 wheels....

Just a thought.....

^ +1 This is the #1 thing we should do ALL the time. It goes a LONG way. Dare I say even further than all the trail maintenance in all of Joisey.

Extra credit: stop to make friends with their dog. Ride with a bell you can ding when approaching from behind.

Frank

Sasquatch
GTBrew is too nice to say it, so I will..................
Keep you F....in light off until your far enough into the trail that the MAN wont notice your illegal ass!!

This is worth repeating. Let's not draw too much attention to ourselves out there.

Specialized-Ed

At 6MR this past weekend I came across 6 HB riders on the blue trail where there is no way around. I kept my distance until they realized I was there, as soon as they got to a point where they could get the horses off to the side so I could pass they did. They were very courteous to me And I was in return courteous to them and thanked them for letting me pass...no problem. A little courtesy on both sides goes a long way.

Frank

Sasquatch
At 6MR this past weekend I came across 6 HB riders on the blue trail where there is no way around. I kept my distance until they realized I was there, as soon as they got to a point where they could get the horses off to the side so I could pass they did. They were very courteous to me And I was in return courteous to them and thanked them for letting me pass...no problem. A little courtesy on both sides goes a long way.

Awesome, well done !!!:)

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Also learned the horses like when you talk to them (from the riders, the horses didn't tell me this). Apparently they don't look at you like humans until you start talking.

Frank

Sasquatch
Also learned the horses like when you talk to them (from the riders, the horses didn't tell me this). Apparently they don't look at you like humans until you start talking.

Exactly Pearl...on a bike we look different to horses and the are afraid of being attacked. The best approach is to wait for the Equestrians input, or get off your bike, talk to the rider (complimenting the horse goes a long way too), and wait until they pass.

Dr Superb

My wife is a hardcore rider, she does the hunter/jumpers. She says horses are flight animals, their first instinct when they see something weird is to spook and run away. You dont want to spook these riders when they are on the horses back, it could be incredibly dangerous. Its why they have the right of way. Proceed with caution.

She's also mentioned that the trails i've taken her to, Six Mile, Round Valley, and Allaire are not great trails to take horses on. But she did say Allaire was the best one out of the 3. I am not sure why she doesnt think they are good.

Frank

Sasquatch
She's also mentioned that the trails i've taken her to, Six Mile, Round Valley, and Allaire are not great trails to take horses on. But she did say Allaire was the best one out of the 3. I am not sure why she doesnt think they are good.

There are not too many places to canter at 6 mile, folks who like hunter paces like to canter and gallop their horses I would think....Mare can chime in on that. Tight, twisty trails end up being a pain in the knees for equestrians from being smacked into trees.

Dr Superb

There are not too many places to canter at 6 mile, folks who like hunter paces like to canter and gallop their horses I would think....Mare can chime in on that. Tight, twisty trails end up being a pain in the knees for equestrians from being smacked into trees.

Yea, and the footing at RV can't be good for horses.

BonsaiMTB

I find building illeagle trails to be a problem. I agree that it should be left up to the parks trail maintance (JORBA) crew to do the research and construction....a shame there is no quick fix to this one.

Ride On

What't the propper etiquette???

Ok...so I was in the Allaire parking lot yesterday...and I was just about ready to start my ride when I noticed a front DT SWISS wheel lying next to my car. I figured someone mounted his bike to a roof rack and took off without his wheel.

I was going to put it in my car and post up that I found it on MTBNJ when I got done with my ride. Then I figure some dude would come back looking for his wheel and see it in my car and bash my window to get it back. So I figured maybe I'll just leave it there. When I got done with my ride... the wheel was still there however it looked like the guy who parked next to me moved it up against the split rail fence.

Now what...do I take it with me? And post up here under lost and found or just leave it there and maybe the other guy will do it. While hoping anyone else who saw it wouldn't "steal it" before the owner got back looking for his wheel. I probably could have reported to the Park's Lost and found. But then who knows if the owner of the wheel would think to go to the lost and found. I was also going to leave a note with my cell number but didn't have anything write on.

Anyway... I left the wheel there wondering if I had done anything wrong by doing nothing.

This is probably a fairly common scenario. What's the right thing to do?

Top Bottom