Lewis Morris Revival

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
I rode in Lewis Morris Park on Saturday with my MC 29er and I was very pleasantly surprised. :D

I live in Sussex County with 4 great parks around me, so I don't venture too far from the area to ride. The last time I rode at Lewis Morris the park it was loaded with washed out fire roads and not so great trails.

However, I have to give credit to the folks at MTP and all the volunteers that cut those new single track trails in there recently. It is now an awesome place. Great job -- I just wanted to pass along my kudos for everyone who worked in there.

Thanks!

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Joe,

I'll be seeing Greg Murray and Duncan Douglas tonight (snow permitting), so I'll be sure to pass this note along to them (and the rest of the folks at MTP and their volunteers).

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Personally think Lewis Morris is underrated. Not technical but a fun place to ride. And plenty of climbing to keep you honest. If it's not enough you can always ride faster.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Personally think Lewis Morris is underrated. Not technical but a fun place to ride. And plenty of climbing to keep you honest. If it's not enough you can always ride faster.
I want to get up there and check it out. How many miles of trail are there, roughly? Or, how long can one ride around the place before boredom or dizziness sets in?

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I want to get up there and check it out. How many miles of trail are there, roughly? Or, how long can one ride around the place before boredom or dizziness sets in?

a loop from sussex road down Patriots Path to LM will put you at 12 or so miles. you could do that loop twice and switch up in a couple of places but ultimately you'll have to ride some of the same stuff twice...most notably the Patriots Path part. it is a fun and fast SS park for sure.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Not a ton of trails. You need to loop things around, go both directions, and add some of PP to the start/end. You can get a solid 2+ hours if you add it all up. But you'll be doing most of the trails in both directions.

D

DANSPANK

It's got a few loose rock climbs to get those rear wheels spinning and thighs burning but it has some really sweet, flowy singletrack and you can pop a few hucks if you look out for mounds on the sides of the trail.

Plus, Morristown has a Ben and Jerrys for a well deserved double scoop of chunky monkey and mint chocolate chip in a chocolate nut waffle cone and walnut sprinkles - TASTY!

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Not a ton of trails. You need to loop things around, go both directions, and add some of PP to the start/end. You can get a solid 2+ hours if you add it all up. But you'll be doing most of the trails in both directions.
We have to do this at Hartshorne/Huber as well, but it's still a good time.

Thanks to all for the info.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
We have to do this at Hartshorne/Huber as well, but it's still a good time.

Thanks to all for the info.

Let me know if you want to hit this at some point. To answer your original question, the race loop is 7 miles and covers much of the park. Then there's PP which is outside LM.

J-Dro

I agree that LM is a fun place to ride... fast.

My only complaint is that any obstacle that happens to fall on the trails is immediately removed. A log or two to hop over would be nice. Whats up with that?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I agree that LM is a fun place to ride... fast.

My only complaint is that any obstacle that happens to fall on the trails is immediately removed. A log or two to hop over would be nice. Whats up with that?

There is that 1 rock on the switchback trail that hasn't been removed yet. Other than that, yeah it's pretty obstacle-less.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
There is that 1 rock on the switchback trail that hasn't been removed yet. Other than that, yeah it's pretty obstacle-less.

i have also heard there may be a tree.

but, in all seriousness, on the yellow trail they built a little "jump" last fall. i think it is technically some sort of water diverment feature, but it doubles perfectly as a jump. the transition is really, really smooth and i've had some fun launching off it a few times. it can be found on the yellow trail.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Right right, yellow loop going clockwise. Going from the far lot back to the lake. That is a cool little jump.

Tommyklein

Mountain Biking is Dangerous!

Yeah, I think I'm gonna sue allamuchy for getting rained on the past 3 years, going head first into a rock garden at ringwood, blowing out my knee and requiring 3 surgeries to fix it, etc. I do sympathize with the person that broke his hip at LM since I'm sure it has drastically changed his life, but we must accept the fact that mountain biking can be dangerous and there's a good chance for injury. My life was changed when I injured my knee. I went from having a healthy 30yo knee that could run 10-15 miles at a clip to having an arthritic knee of a 60yo. I was told that I will indeed need a knee replacement or cartilage transplant in the future and I've been forced to give up distance running. For now I'm just happy to enjoy riding. Every time I get back on my bike I know there's a risk for crashing and getting injured again, but that's a risk I'm willing to take for something I enjoy doing so much.
Ride safe
tK

Top Bottom