What's good, what's not

liong71er

:hmmm::hmmm:,....i guess i have to ask folks with this.:popcorn:
since nobody mentioned it yet,....

1.pee in the woods(trails)
2.or poop.
3.have sex in the woods/on middle of the trails

think they going to tell you when/how/where/what to do next??
b/c some peoples will do those 3 q,..incase emergency or simply because after all we are all have animal instinct(some)

edit:this is no sarcasm,only my opinion!!:D

kush

last, the helmet debate; it's obviously safer, but it should be a rider's preference and decision whether or not to wear one, i've tried helmets, and they can often slide and become anoying, then i tried tightening the straps to preven that but it made breathing more difficult; in other words, it becomes more of a hazard for me, and makes me more likely to take a turn wrong and crash anyway.

You may want to look into getting a decent helmet at a bike shop. This is probably the gentlest statement you'll get as a response... :popcorn:

grumner80

You may want to look into getting a decent helmet at a bike shop. This is probably the gentlest statement you'll get as a response... :popcorn:

are people going to hate me because i havnt been comfortable with a helmet in the past??? lol

walter

Fourth Party
i see beer bottles all over the place at my local park (cheesequake).

You do:hmmm: I will shamefully admit that I ride Cheesequake sometimes, and except for the poor attempt at rogue trails, the piss poor maintenance of the real trails and the lack of drainage, its a pretty clean place. I'm referring to the multi use trail which technically is the *only* trail bikes are permitted on.

I can probably guess where you would see some garbage, if anywhere I think it would be by the commuter lot. IMO, its a rather good drinking spot. Some folks get off the bus, have some beers in their cars and wing the bottles right into the woods, etc. Also keep in mind the park isn't "officially" open until Memorial Day, so I think the place would be better staffed in the summer. Plus more public help as well.

You are correct, its your choice to ride with or without a helmet, but all its going to take is one sue happy family to ruin access for thousands of people just because little Johnny didn't like the way his helmet fit or made him look, now his brains leak out of his ears.:drooling:

southernerinnj

are people going to hate me because i havnt been comfortable with a helmet in the past??? lol

No, but its like a bike fitting. Just saying that a poor fitting helmet is a bad excuse for not wearing a helmet. Please go to an LBS and look into a properly fitted helmet. I have the Hex that I picked up from Halters and it is very light weight and breathable. Make sure you get help and get the right size helmet.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
:hmmm::hmmm:,....i guess i have to ask folks with this.:popcorn:
since nobody mentioned it yet,....

1.pee in the woods(trails)
2.or poop.
3.have sex in the woods/on middle of the trails

think they going to tell you when/how/where/what to do next??
b/c some peoples will do those 3 q,..incase emergency or simply because after all we are all have animal instinct(some)

edit:this is no sarcasm,only my opinion!!:D

just don't poop in the middle of the trail ;)
and make sure you don't pick some poison ivy or other poisonous plant to wipe your ass :popcorn:

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
just don't poop in the middle of the trail ;)
and make sure you don't pick some poison ivy or other poisonous plant to wipe your ass :popcorn:

'Wish somebody would tell the f'in bears that...I've ran through a pile of bear crap twice at MDR...you think your sh!t stinks? Oh no, the bears are the champions of that!

BiknBen

me me me...

You sound a little selfish. Hang out here more and you will see that this is a community of cyclists. Some times we are forced to give up some of our individual freedoms for the good of the community.

We don't buzz the hikers because they will complain to the parks dept. That results in the dumb dismount areas that require us to get off our bikes and walk.

We wear helmets because they have likely saved us, or someone we know, from serious injury. Learn how to adjust your helmet.

Getting lost is part of the fun. Keep riding, you'll figure it out. We don't need more signage. You need a compass.

Beer bottles in the lot would be an issue for the Parks Department. It is very unlikely that a cyclist is contributing to that. We are not into garbage collection.

BTW, no one rides at Cheesequake. It sux! ;)

RonC

ZGOZZ Macman
My head hurts.
Let me get this right.

When Hikers are on the trail we get off or bikes and walk by, this makes seance, less chance of getting hurt.

People on horse back is the same, I used to ride horses a while back family had some alot of fun never got thrown, but that makes seance as well to get off and walk by, am I wrong?

Helmets is a must not used to having it on but it will help in the long run.

Your going to ride you should help with the trails and keeping them safe so we do not loss them, that's cool, I understand this as well.

Got it so far?

I-pods not a good idea. Be kind and do not be careless.

southernerinnj

My head hurts.
Let me get this right.

When Hikers are on the trail we get off or bikes and walk by, this makes seance, less chance of getting hurt.

People on horse back is the same, I used to ride horses a while back family had some alot of fun never got thrown, but that makes seance as well to get off and walk by, am I wrong?

I've never had to "dismount" when yielding to a hiker. Normally I pull off to the side of the trail and allow them to pass by me. When passing a hiker as long as you make yourself well known in a polite way and do not "push" them off the side of the trail I've never run into someone that has an issue with me slowly rolling past them.

Horse riders have a much harder time "dismounting" from their ride than we do. As well they take up more room on the trail and are harder to maneuver.

Just like Ben said we all as user should show respect to all other users of the trails if we wish to be respected.

Ipods on trails are a bad idea IMO. I can't tell you how many people running/biking I've run into that use them and are oblivious to their environment. Its just a distraction that could be come dangerous.

BiknBen

We don't buzz the hikers because they will complain to the parks dept. That results in the dumb dismount areas that require us to get off our bikes and walk.

I've never had to "dismount" when yielding to a hiker.

Hartshorne has a "dismount area" that bikers have to walk through. It is at the bottom of a hill near a parking lot. I bet this is a result of the other trail users complained about being buzzed by bikes.

I was on a path in NYC on Tuesday. They had dismount areas all over the place. Thankfully, there were detours around the dismount areas so I could still ride.

I yeild to hikers on the trail. I will not stop unless I have to. I move to one side, they move to the other. we exchange pleasantries and continue on our way.

I rarely encounter horses but will move off the trail and ask if there is anything else I can do. At allaire, I will alter my route and even u-turn to avoid having to deal with equestrians.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i think i've seen more poop on the trails at deer park than i have anywhere else

BiknBen

If I have the opportunity to have sex out in the woods...I will have it wherever I friggin want. :D

grumner80

I will shamefully admit that I ride Cheesequake sometimes, and except for the poor attempt at rogue trails, the piss poor maintenance of the real trails and the lack of drainage, its a pretty clean place. I'm referring to the multi use trail which technically is the *only* trail bikes are permitted on.

I can probably guess where you would see some garbage, if anywhere I think it would be by the commuter lot. IMO, its a rather good drinking spot. Some folks get off the bus, have some beers in their cars and wing the bottles right into the woods, etc. Also keep in mind the park isn't "officially" open until Memorial Day, so I think the place would be better staffed in the summer. Plus more public help as well.

what's shamefull about cheesequake? and yea I usually go in through the commuter lot, which is where I see all the bear bottles, but my point was that it is likely that bikers aren't the ones drinking, especially if they're about to go on a trail, but we're still the ones getting the finger pointed at. I think we can all agree that a few more garbage and recycle cans can easily end the problem regardless of who's really causing it.

grumner80

You sound a little selfish. Hang out here more and you will see that this is a community of cyclists. Some times we are forced to give up some of our individual freedoms for the good of the community.

Getting lost is part of the fun. Keep riding, you'll figure it out. We don't need more signage. You need a compass.

Beer bottles in the lot would be an issue for the Parks Department. It is very unlikely that a cyclist is contributing to that. We are not into garbage collection.

BTW, no one rides at Cheesequake. It sux! ;)

I never "buzzed" any hiker's, I was just stating my opinion;

and I do keep riding when I get lost, but there are alot of riders who wont be the same way, and I thought this was a community where we make suggestions to help all riders;

also, I never said the beer bottles were from bikers; and maby I like Cheesequake, so what??

Frank

Sasquatch
what's shamefull about cheesequake? and yea I usually go in through the commuter lot, which is where I see all the bear bottles, but my point was that it is likely that bikers aren't the ones drinking, especially if they're about to go on a trail, but we're still the ones getting the finger pointed at. I think we can all agree that a few more garbage and recycle cans can easily end the problem regardless of who's really causing it.

Cheesequake would be fun if it were more than 4-5 miles of trail

I never "buzzed" any hiker's, I was just stating my opinion;

and I do keep riding when I get lost, but there are alot of riders who wont be the same way, and I thought this was a community where we make suggestions to help all riders;

We are very supporting of new folk. We are also VERY protective of our access to these parks so we sometimes get a little rough over other users. It seems that other user groups love to call land managers and complain about bikers and that threatens our access. If you read this thread from the beginning you will see various posts that reference this. It also stated that this a ridicule free section for questions....opinions are open targets.

you dont think that's going to causing problems with us riding the trails???

Ben's sarcasm is sometimes lost.

Top Bottom